Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Farmer Bob wrote: »
    I'm conflicted about this one. Renault were making some bonkers cars back in the early 00s like this and the Avantime.

I'd like to smoke around in one of these for a few months til the tax ran out, but I've owned an Espace of a similar age and I just know it would be a total money pit. Not to mention the €710/year road tax and fuel economy is probably under 20mpg

Probably will be a future classic as they sold just over 1000 of these in RHD and there aren't many working ones left...

I'm in a similar situation to the owner of that Val satis. I have an avantime that I can't let go of because as far as I'm concerned it's a future classic that the average Irish driver only sees as an auld Renault. So for now it's in storage at a friends house.
    I understand where you're coming from regarding reliability but the avantime isn't based on the same era of dodgy Renault as the Val satis and therefore doesn't suffer the same electrical gremlins, in fact when I ran it as a daily for almost 4 years I had absolutely no mechanical or electrical problems aside from a couple of track rod ends a couple of sets of front tyres and a rotten exhaust pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation to the owner of that Val satis. I have an avantime that I can't let go of because as far as I'm concerned it's a future classic that the average Irish driver only sees as an auld Renault. So for now it's in storage at a friends house.
    I understand where you're coming from regarding reliability but the avantime isn't based on the same era of dodgy Renault as the Val satis and therefore doesn't suffer the same electrical gremlins, in fact when I ran it as a daily for almost 4 years I had absolutely no mechanical or electrical problems aside from a couple of track rod ends a couple of sets of front tyres and a rotten exhaust pipe.

Always liked the avantime. There is one for sale on done deal. I always thought they suffered from electrical problems and had issues with the gearbox.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Always liked the avantime. There is one for sale on done deal. I always thought they suffered from electrical problems and had issues with the gearbox.

That one has an interior out of a different car and a broken gearbox. He will have to wait a while to get 3k for it.
    I never had any electrical or gearbox issues with mine, I'd even go as far as to say it was the most reliable car Ive ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Not sure it will be a "future classic" but cant fault him on the price. 350 euros.

Vel Satis.
    Bought it for the wife....

Oh boy, he wont be getting laid anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

elperello wrote:
    After 53 years it's come to this.

Wheels look horrific

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Vel Satis is a bona fide future classic

I don't think they will be a classic, they look terrible up with a multipla imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

The Vel Satis and Avantime will deffo be classics, particularly the Avantime. Stunning car, still a Renault, but a car that only the French could make.

Definitely a future classic

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

liam7831 wrote: »
    I don't think they will be a classic, they look terrible up with a multipla imo

The original Multipla is absolute gash, in an ugly league of its own.

The mk 2 is ok though - looks like a Honda FRV

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I understand where you're coming from regarding reliability but the avantime isn't based on the same era of dodgy Renault as the Val satis and therefore doesn't suffer the same electrical gremlins

As far as I know the Avantime was built by Matra for Renault so that could be why they are more reliable. Story has it that there was a bit of bregrudgery from Renault management towards the Avantime and the Vel Satis was seen as "their" flagship car, not the Avantime.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

elperello wrote: »
    kadman wrote: »

Not to worry the banger boys will make good use of it.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    As far as I know the Avantime was built by Matra for Renault so that could be why they are more reliable. Story has it that there was a bit of bregrudgery from Renault management towards the Avantime and the Vel Satis was seen as "their" flagship car, not the Avantime.

That's exactly it. It was a way of compensating Matra for Renault bringing the manufacturering of the new espace in house. The avantime was based on the previous generation espace and never given as much marketing as the Val satis.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The original Multipla is absolute gash, in an ugly league of its own.

The mk 2 is ok though - looks like a Honda FRV

I hold the opposite view. The Mk2 just blanded out what was a brave and unique design - quirky rather than ugly. It’s really well resolved in it’s own terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

hi5 wrote: »
    Not to worry the banger boys will make good use of it.

Look, it's there if someone wants to buy it. Clearly no one does, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

If I was still banger racing I'd have it in a heartbeat though!

pablo128 wrote: »
    Look, it's there if someone wants to buy it. Clearly no one does, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

If I was still banger racing I'd have it in a heartbeat though!

I completely agree, thats the point I was making!
    I know lads into the racing and many's the time I have been alerted to cars deemed maybe too good to race to see if I or any one else is interested before its raced, and I'm always on the lookout for old Ford v6 engines and the likes to pass on to the racers.
    If nobody could be bothered rescuing that Vauxhall (because maybe it's rotten) then race it away.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I,d rather spend my time restoring them, than bashing them up,

but whatever floats yer boat, tis a free country after all.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

here's a little selection -

2 different C124s - an '88 230 with cloth interior. Not gone on the more modern wheels, but a claimed full main dealer SH with 102k on the clock, asking close to €5.5k
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1988-mercedes-230ce-vintage/17897639

and a'96 220CE, navy with leather, 138k, NCT'd til March 19. Personally i was never a fan of the chromes arches aesthetically and for what may lie beneath..
    Asking €2,200
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/merceds-220-ce/17895971?campaign=3

or how about a sexy Swede?
    '84 Saab 900, 5 door with leather, NCT up in March, €1,850
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/saab-900/17896813

finally, a tasty '92 E30 325, with quite a detailed history. Claimed under 100k on the clock, currently on UK plates. Asking a strong €6,500
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-325i/17895645

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

"Built in October 1991 at the German Regensburg factory, this car was built to a very high specification for a customer in South Africa who wanted this 325i for his wife to be as closely specified as possible to his 7-Series car."

Cool story bro.

They built E30's in South Africa, so why would you import one from Germany?

Besides, they stopped making saloons in Regensburg in April 91...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Cool story bro.

They built E30's in South Africa, so why would you import one from Germany?

Besides, they stopped making saloons in Regensburg in April 91...

Same ad in Adverts 2 years ago...
    https://www.adverts.ie/vehicles/bmw-e30-325i-1991-excellent-condition/8266683

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

@ kaisersoze - jeez, same pics, same mileage, with a 50% increase in price :eek:

do you recall the add from adverts when it was listed or??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

tc20 wrote: »
    @ kaisersoze - jeez, same pics, same mileage, with a 50% increase in price :eek:

do you recall the add from adverts when it was listed or??

I didn't remember it straight away but the mention of the Regensburg factory rang a bell. Google did the rest.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

tc20 wrote: »
    2 different C124s - an '88 230 with cloth interior. Not gone on the more modern wheels, but a claimed full main dealer SH with 102k on the clock, asking close to €5.5k
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1988-mercedes-230ce-vintage/17897639

and a'96 220CE, navy with leather, 138k, NCT'd til March 19. Personally i was never a fan of the chromes arches aesthetically and for what may lie beneath..
    Asking €2,200
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/merceds-220-ce/17895971?campaign=3
    Those are two lovely mercs. Wonder if they'd make a good daily driver... hmmm.
    No mention of NCT on one.

Really like the alloys on the 230. Are they from MB? They look familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Dades wrote: »
    Those are two lovely mercs. Wonder if they'd make a good daily driver... hmmm.
    No mention of NCT on one.

Really like the alloys on the 230. Are they from MB? They look familiar.

Those alloys are from a mid-2000s E Class I believe! I agree they are lovely. Absolutely love the 230!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mikehn

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C957123
    Not buying cos I dont have the money, it live's on the same road as I do and looks better in the "flesh" Will probably go to the UK unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

mikehn wrote: »
    https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C957123
    Not buying cos I dont have the money, it live's on the same road as I do and looks better in the "flesh" Will probably go to the UK unfortunately.

Lovely old bus always noticed a few similar dream machines across from the tech in listowel . spent year's down myself a few mile's away I recognize all the lovely old car's about the country

Hopefully it stays in Ireland

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/wolseley-1500-1964/17900996

YTU1ZGRjYTNhYTE3ODU2NjA3YThlZjI1ODBlMzM3NzmNr0h_R_sl2hkusUbvkU7ZaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NDIzMzY3NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

A very good price with show season coming up (if its not rotten). Obviously not to everybody's taste but they are (imo) a good mix of comfort and drivability. I'm sure €2k would bring it home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-w123/17929699

Didn't realise North Tipp drove on the right hand side ;)

ODdmZmEyNmFjYTJjM2E1YTJlYWJlZTFmMjQ5YmZkZjML70eCWFgKqBKscnZoPLwKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185NDMyMTY1OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg]

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Advertisement