Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classics - when is it worth restoring and when do you throw your hat at it?

Options
  • 21-06-2013 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

All I have is a taxbook, engine, gearbox, front bumper, steering column with broken steering wheel, front and rear axles and a few misc rusty bits of a Ford E83W pick up. Chassis and cab rusted to bits eons ago. :confused:
    It has some sentimental value. What are the chances of getting a chassis and cab???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

You can get a chassis and cab, you just need to look, although they are rare enough they occasionally come up for sale. More than likely you'll get a complete truck including engine and gearbox. As the chassis, body and everything else will be different from your original truck it's arguably not the same truck and certainly the tax book will be of no use as the chassis numbers will be different.

To me you have two options: 1. buy a truck and replace the engine and gearbox which might seem a bit odd but for you it might be of some help.
    2. Clean up the parts that you have and turn them into some kind of furniture for your house, that way you'll always have them, and maybe a story to tell to any curious people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

maybe some might disagree, but if you don't have a chassis you don't have a restoration project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Gobnait,
    I understand, and agree with what you are trying to do.The British authorities have a formula of sorts to determine whether you have enough to complete your project.
    AFAIK there are no such guidelines here.

I think its fortunate you do not publish your number as the thought police would prob `Ring` Donedeal even before you place the ad.

Regards,rugbyman

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

rugbyman wrote: »
    The British authorities have a formula of sorts to determine whether you have enough to complete your project.

They do, and if you have a collection of bits that are of the original type and they are all over 25 years old, it's known as a reconstructed classic and gets an age-related plate based on the youngest part.

Anyway, you've a collection of "quality used spares" there. Given it was a commerical vehicle, I would expect it unlikely to find a chassis/cab alone as any others have probably gone the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

If you are considering not going ahead with the build, I may be interested in the parts. If you want to PM with details of what you have, and the condition. I've no interest in a taxbook.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

rugbyman wrote: »
    Gobnait,
    I understand, and agree with what you are trying to do.The British authorities have a formula of sorts to determine whether you have enough to complete your project.
    AFAIK there are no such guidelines here.

I think its fortunate you do not publish your number as the thought police would prob `Ring` Donedeal even before you place the ad.

Regards,rugbyman

I had in mind an reply in the letters section of Irish Vintage Scene that appealed to anyone that has an Irish reg vehicle that it is always worth restoring no matter how bad it is. Maybe the author would want to qualify how 'far gone' is 'too far gone'!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

I had in mind an reply in the letters section of Irish Vintage Scene that appealed to anyone that has an Irish reg vehicle that it is always worth restoring no matter how bad it is. Maybe the author would want to qualify how 'far gone' is 'too far gone'!

It really depends on the car, make, and model. There was an early 1900's FIAT (ITALIA) found buried in a bog some years ago. Basically all the was left was a rusty ladder chassis, a rusty engine block, rotted timber wheels and a few bits and bobs. The car was saved, and over considerable time and money, was saved. It now lives in the UK.
    I know a collector of mostly old Fiats, who restored an old 60's 1100. The car had been sitting in a shed for years, but was in not too bad a condition. It was unique in having been assembled by Fiat in Dublin.
    However, if you came across an 80's Datsun 120Y, rotten to the core, with no interior, no glass, a seized engine, broken gearbox, and a tree growing through its roof, but with an Irish reg...is it really worth the effort.
    I've a 1988 Ford Fiesta in my back garden. Been there for close on 15 years, while it does not have a tree growing through it, its got one growing around it, and is almost completely covered in ivy, and its got an original Irish reg 88 D xxxx.....if anyone feels the need to save it...bring a chainsaw, and a machete !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And remember this Bugatti that had been rotting at the bottom of a lake for 75 years. Still worth a lot of money :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

unkel wrote: »
    And remember this Bugatti that had been rotting at the bottom of a lake for 75 years. Still worth a lot of money :)

Bit of a difference in pedigree there alright, how in the world did it get dumped in a lake???:confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

how in the world did it get dumped in a lake???:confused:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1241644/The-rare-Bugatti-car-plucked-lake-70-years-fetch-80-000-auction.html
    The rare 1925 touring Bugatti was pushed into the water by a frustrated tax official in 1936 after the owner abandoned it in Switzerland without paying the appropriate import tax.

http://blog.axisofoversteer.com/2010/01/lady-of-lake-bugatti-22-actioned-after.html
    The story going around Ascona is that Marco Schmuklerski left in 1936, leaving behind the Bugatti, which was stored in the yard of a local building contractor, Barra. Its owner at this time is not known, but the local customs officers knew of the car's existence and insisted on payment of the import duties owed. At that point these duties may have amounted to more than the value of the Bugatti, which was 11 years old and well used. In the case of non-payment of the duties, the car had to be destroyed and the simplest way to do so was to tip it into the nearby lake. To facilitate its recovery the Bugatti was attached to a heavy chain, but when this finally corroded away the car fell to the lakebed at a depth of 53 metres.

Bloody taxman!

• Advertisement
Advertisement