Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

For sale, wanted and swaps (post here only or your thread will be deleted)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

I've now put it on donedeal

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1966-mercedes-fintail-estate-universal/20523115

2cv wrote: »
    Sadly, time has come to move my Fintail on. I've owned it about 8 years and haven't managed to do anything with it. Other projects mean she is now looking for a new home.

Good bits:
    She's all there, no bits missing.

Bad bits:
    Needs full restoration.

The car was sold new in Enfield, North London in 1966 and was imported into Ireland in 1978. It still only shows one owner on the original brown book.

I'm based in Cork but the car is located in North Yorkshire at the moment.

Any interest, drop me a message.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Xlaxeo

Does anybody know a good seat restorer? Somebody that can repair the saggy foam / supprt mesh in addition the uphostery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Xlaxeo wrote: »
    Does anybody know a good seat restorer? Somebody that can repair the saggy foam / supprt mesh in addition the uphostery
    A&T Style Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Wanted 1980s SL for a good home as a second/weekend car.

Ideal car, 1989 500 SL, well looked after, sky blue, cream/beige leather interior, hard & soft top, all works done, with MB service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭irshmerc

One on ebay at the moment, in Clare i believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,609 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can I ask a question about getting rid of two cars.
    I don't see how any of them have any value, but in the same time would hate to see them crushed.
    One is a Volvo 740 Turbo Diesel saloon 1990 and other is Volvo 960 1995.
    The 740 saloon is straight, no rust gunmetal grey, engine is out. I was swapping a good 940 diesel engine into it, but that engine which was fine, now has a weird injector pump problem. Car will not turn off, swapped out the solenoid so on, but still that engine will not shut down, will also race with no way to shop it. I know the engine is perfect, does not burn oil, no head gasket issues so on,

Volvo 960 is a saloon, some bits of rust. Tan leather which looks like new except for drive seat that has a wear point in usual place.

Basically I want shot of everything Volvo, the two cars, the diesel engines, 5 or six diesel injector pumps and various other bits Volvo.
    I'd hate to scrap a perfectly good Volvo D24TIC engine, it only needs the injector pump sorted.
    Are there any Volvo breakers, or classic breakers that would have use for these.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I don't see how any of them have any value, but in the same time would hate to see them crushed.

I was in a scrap metal facility a few months ago, where they crush cars. The number of perfectly good cars being dropped off was staggering. These are cars that have been replaced through dealer scrappage deals, so legally they have to be destroyed. The foreman showed me some beauties that had come in recently, and he was finding it difficult to bring himself to crushing them. There was a late 90s 5 series in mint condition, and a late 90s A6. Both full leather with all the gadgets. There were a few other tasty ones too. The next time I called in, they had been put through the machine. He'd also put through an impeccable 760 estate. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel

outfox wrote: »
    These are cars that have been replaced through dealer scrappage deals, so legally they have to be destroyed.

No, that's a misconception. For the government scrappage scheme that was in place in 2010 / 2011, the cars needed to be destroyed alright, but any of the dealer scrappage schemes currently in place, the word is just a marketing ploy

The cars coming in for scrappage are sent straight into the trade, to be sold on, but no doubt many of them have no economic value so will be dismantled / scrapped. This is not a requirement though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭elperello

unkel wrote: »
    No, that's a misconception. For the government scrappage scheme that was in place in 2010 / 2011, the cars needed to be destroyed alright, but any of the dealer scrappage schemes currently in place, the word is just a marketing ploy

The cars coming in for scrappage are sent straight into the trade, to be sold on, but no doubt many of them have no economic value so will be dismantled / scrapped. This is not a requirement though

I believe you are right that these "dealer scrappage" schemes are scrappage in name only.
    I'd expect that most dealers would try to get some value from anything good that comes in by selling it on in the trade.
    So how come Outfox saw good cars being scrapped?
    Were they really not that good or are some dealers not bothered trying to make a few grand?

elperello wrote: »
    So how come Outfox saw good cars being scrapped?
    Were they really not that good or are some dealers not bothered trying to make a few grand?

They really weren't that good. The car I scrapped myself in a modern scrappage deal 2 years ago is a good example. It was a beautiful looking (but not mint) 16 year old 3l Jag S-type. But NCT was almost up, it had high miles, and there was an intermittent issue with one of the rear lights (probably a grounding issue) and battery needed replacing

A shame to scrap it, but it just would not have made any sense for anyone in the trade to even offer €100 for it. With a new NCT the car would have been worth not much more than €700 given the EUR1500 motor tax

Now having said that, there were some great cars scrapped in recent UK and USA official scrappage schemes where the cars needed a cert of desctruction. Fields full of all sorts of cars that would be worth quite a lot of money now even in poor condition. Like Porsche 928 etc. We covered it here a few times, I find it hard to watch :(

• Advertisement

Maybe the cars were in poor shape underneath. But they looked to be in super condition, at least from 2 feet away. I guess we'll never know. They are cans of Budweiser now!

Maybe the cars were in poor shape underneath. But they looked to be in super condition, at least from 2 feet away. I guess we'll never know. They are cans of Budweiser now!

I'll drink to that!

But seriously we must think we are a really rich country to encourage the destruction of serviceable cars.

While as you say some may have been rusted a lot of good cars are caught in the perfect storm consisting of our eccentric motor tax system and scrappage schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 countrydude

im looking for a peugeot 205 late 80s early 90s for parts either a hatchback or convertible im not fussy but prefer petrol engined car, ideally in munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

For sale: 1978 Datsun 260z 2+2
    After years of not being sure whether or not to sell this, a loss of storage is motivating this to be re-advertised (I have other storage, just limited motivation to move it!).
    I bought this back in November 2009 in the UK. This was the PO's daily driver and was solid and ran great, if in need of a bit of a paintjob. I used it for a few months and then stuck it in my garage. Colour is burnt orange, has a 4-digit ZV plate and is NCT exempt. It's not a concourse car, nor could it ever be and it needs a bit of welding after being left for the guts of 9 years (drivers A-pillar, inside, and passenger floor has a split) but it's not in bad nick. It has a fabric sunroof, which I believe is the same as an MGB and this needs replacement (but isn't leaking). Interior needs a bit of work, steering wheel needs to be recovered and needs carpets fitting. Car is original throughout and has ducktail spoiler. Car had an intermittent misfire when parked up but when started in 2015 it was grand and ran like a clock! Be under no illusion that this is a show car, it's not but it's a very cool. I have pics and a video of it running from when it was moved in 2015 if anyone is interested.
    Car to be sold by 18th March or will be moved to long term storage.

20da5829.jpg

Always had a sweet spot for them. I take it that's a pic you took on the ferry when you brought it in back in '09? Any indication of price? (I'm not buying it, herself would kill me, already have 3 cars :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭nova23

Anyone know of any 80s opel asconas lying up gathering rust, looking for parts

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bsaarmybike

Does anyone know of a tmc costin for sale anywhere? I missed out on one a few years ago. I8 know only about 39 were produced but there has to be one somewhere. Cheers Don

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭caesura

Hi folks,

I posted this in the main Motors forum a few weeks ago and it was suggested that I post here and some other places but as I had some interest shown I wanted to see how they panned out but as nothing is moving forward enough at this stage I thought it best to take up the suggestion and post here.

So here's part of the original post I put up outlining all the details...as I mentioned in my original post any further tips or pointers would be massively welcome!
    caesura wrote: »

This is a bit of a shot in the dark (and a long one at that!) but here's my question.

Are there any places or groups etc around the like to acquire and refurbish/recondition old cars.

And I don't just mean the classics (VW Beetle/Citreon CV4/Renault 4/Mini Cooper/VW Golf GT etc etc) I mean decent older cars...from maybe more of 'less waste' philosophy than a 'classic-car' enthusiast one.

I have an old 98 Polo Saloon (and yes I know they don't have anything like the reputation of the above...though actually it's a great car!) it's been off the road for a couple of years and the paintwork has been pretty badly weather damaged and I'm sure there are other problems but she always was and (I hope) still is a great car to drive and the interior is immaculate - there has just always been a lovely luxurious feel to the car and I'd planned on making it my project to bring her back to full mobility and loveliness.

But I left the car too long off the road while I was away and unfortunately the road tax built up quite high and as I'm likely to be heading abroad again soon the motor tax office told me the best option was to transfer ownership/sell/give the car away or have it recycled.

I know it's more likely I'll have to do the latter but I'd like to see if there is any possibility to do the former.

I've been offered money repeatedly for parts etc but I'd rather give the car away to someone who would give her the love and attention she needs to get back on the road.

Like I say I know this is a very, very long-shot but I thought I'd give it one last shot before calling the removal company.

So if anyone knows of ANY groups/companies/people etc who recondition old cars and might be interested in acquiring mine I'd hugely appreciate it if you could give me any advice on how to contact them.

Thanks and best,

Following the post above some people suggested posting on Autostadt and a Facebook Irish Cars of 1990s group...so I'm going to post on those now as well.

Thanks a million folks!

I'm looking for an early-mid 90s Hilux, extra cab model (not crew cab). I'd appreciate any leads on one for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

looking for a decent drivers seat for a mk2 Transit. Mk3 seat might suit also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

im looking for a peugeot 205 late 80s early 90s for parts either a hatchback or convertible im not fussy but prefer petrol engined car, ideally in munster.
    Ive an alloy off a 1.6 or 1.9 gti if your interested, 20 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Hi Folks ,

I'm looking at maybe importing a 1990 car, so technically it's not a classic quite yet. Any advice on vrt, etc??

thanks for any pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I'm looking for an early-mid 90s Hilux, extra cab model (not crew cab). I'd appreciate any leads on one for sale.

I don't but am a fan of the 'extra' cab. Have a (roughish) Pathfinder Kingcab in daily use, best of both worlds really, decent bed yet space behind seats for valuables etc. Yet Irish market seems to hate them, like hen's teeth...

daithi7 wrote: »
    Hi Folks ,

I'm looking at maybe importing a 1990 car, so technically it's not a classic quite yet. Any advice on vrt, etc??

thanks for any pointers.

Minimum VRT is €720 if it's a very cheap car worth €2,000 or less. What car are you considering and what value is it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

daithi7 wrote: »
    Hi Folks ,

thanks for any pointers.

Don't bother because cost. Import something over 30.

Go on the condition of the car.
    If it is very good and worth the asking price then take the hit on the VRT.
    The saving of €500 VRT would be quickly eaten up if you have to do work to a mediocre car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Hi, looking for a 92-94 Toyota Carina E 1.6 petrol, keeping an eye on DoneDeal, Facebook etc but the guys exporting them are beating me to it, one came up on dd and I rang within an hour of the add going up and it was sold:mad: thanks Mac

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

Looking to change classics now, really liked the e30 but change of circumstances means my classic needs to be an auto now (crying softly) so straight sale or swap for 85-89 big motor auto / semi sporty considered !! BMW, MB, Porsche Toyota, happy to add cash for the right machine. I'm over 8k into the e30 so price is firm at 6k, or 5k on steel wheels.

https://www.adverts.ie/vehicles/1988-bmw-3-series-e30/16134562

20190407-115619.jpg
    IMG-0210.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Vintage Wolseley 14/56 Car Instruction Manual
    Late 1930s I believe.
    Good condition.
    €5 to cover postage
    PM if you want a photo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Hi all...

I'm selling my Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite,

DoneDeal link

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/austin-healey-frogeye-sprite-1960/22733052

10K seems a fair price, they are making a lot more in the UK?

Advertisement