Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a 1970's VW camper van

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Dizzicizzi

Omg actually almost cried watching that!! I want it so much :O

Can I just have a camper now... Please...

That video right there = my dream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Dizzicizzi wrote: »
    Omg actually almost cried watching that!! I want it so much :O

Can I just have a camper now... Please...

That video right there = my dream!

you should deffo rent one for a weekend at least, just to convince yourself of how great they are.

almost everyone i've ever met traveling has had fond memories of their time in a vw combi, even those who had total balls of snit vans still loved them, breaking down repeatedly in any other vehicle is an utter pain in the hole, but somehow in a combi it just seems to add to the charm. one of the best responses from a camper ever was outside bowen in queensland,

I stopped to help him as I had a ute full of tools

me - '' broken down mate?''
    him - ''nah mate, spontaneously camped''

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pino123

All I can say is find a good mechanic BEFORE you buy one, and get references, references, and references!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pino123

I did have good experience (SO FAR) with Cosy classics, but everyone else was not so good, and yes I have dealt with the others. There are not very many who specialize in VW repairs so you need to find a mechanic before you invest. Ask them these questions when you're 'interviewing' them, as this is essentially what you're doing - unless you're mechanically savvy, you will have to get to know these mechanics so you better like them!
    1. WHEN will you finish the work, ie, finishing in one month means one month, not 6 MONTHS
    2. WHAT is the warranty period - most will say one year or 6 months, but low and behold, as soon as you say you need something looked at that is under warranty, all of a sudden, everyone is too busy to help you. Also, does the warranty cover KMS used, or time? If time, what happens if the van is handed back to you in Nov, and once you actually use it in June, it doesnt work? Not very many people will camp in Nov / Dec / Jan / Feb / Mar / April so you will only realize there's things wrong with it in June, but by then the warranty is useless?
    3. get all repairs down in writing - and I mean EVERYTHING
    4. Get payment schedule in writing
    5. Withhold payment if you can, so you can MAKE SURE it actually works when keys are handed back to you

Like I said, I dealt with most of the VW repair shops and ONLY Cosy Classics has been decent so far.

• Advertisement

pino123 wrote: »
    All I can say is find a good mechanic BEFORE you buy one, and get references, references, and references!!

What do you mean by references?

Again I am such a noob so bare with me if it is a silly question!
    pino123 wrote: »
    I did have good experience (SO FAR) with Cosy classics, but everyone else was not so good, and yes I have dealt with the others. There are not very many who specialize in VW repairs so you need to find a mechanic before you invest. Ask them these questions when you're 'interviewing' them, as this is essentially what you're doing - unless you're mechanically savvy, you will have to get to know these mechanics so you better like them!
    1. WHEN will you finish the work, ie, finishing in one month means one month, not 6 MONTHS
    2. WHAT is the warranty period - most will say one year or 6 months, but low and behold, as soon as you say you need something looked at that is under warranty, all of a sudden, everyone is too busy to help you. Also, does the warranty cover KMS used, or time? If time, what happens if the van is handed back to you in Nov, and once you actually use it in June, it doesnt work? Not very many people will camp in Nov / Dec / Jan / Feb / Mar / April so you will only realize there's things wrong with it in June, but by then the warranty is useless?
    3. get all repairs down in writing - and I mean EVERYTHING
    4. Get payment schedule in writing
    5. Withhold payment if you can, so you can MAKE SURE it actually works when keys are handed back to you

Like I said, I dealt with most of the VW repair shops and ONLY Cosy Classics has been decent so far.

A lot of good advice there. I am thinking that Cosy Classics are the way to go. I have never heard a bad word about them. You also make a good point about warranty, that is something to keep in mind. Would Km used be the standard, or time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vw nut

I purchased my first van about 8 years ago, went the source myself route and turned out to be a huge mistake, rotten to the core, so decided to get a decent one as I had kids and wanted to be driving a safe van! I came across John from Krazykombis 7 years ago and made the decision to let him source a good one for me. He found me a lovely American Westy, and imported her in for me and got me on the road. She to this day is a lovely solid, well used family van. I can't recommend krazykombis highly enough. John is a very decent obliging fella. Obviously given its a 1974 van things have gone wrong but I've only had to pick the phone up and John is there explaining how to fix the problem and sourcing any I need. He has also done servicing and other bits to the van down through the years and I'm planning on giving her up to John for a respray this year to freshen up the paintwork.

With regards to the left hand drive I was very nervous at the thought, but five minutes into the first spin I was happy out.

Good luck with your search, keep an eye on type2ireland.org and eircooled. There's a great community out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AmiiMc

Hi there, just read this post. I bought my van from Krazy Kombis. I got it all the way from the Nevada desert. Heres a link to their site ‎ http://krazykombis.com/ and they are also on facebook -

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Krazy-Kombis/191779657508399 .

They have some buses available now, I checked on their site. If you want any info mail me back i can give you my email or number etc .

Amii

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

I bought my van before Krazy Kombis were in business but since then they've helped me out on many occasions. This isn't a sales pitch: I have nothing to gain by vouching for them but in my experience, John & Co @ Krazy Kombis have been very obliging. Thumbs up :)

busatlimerickshow2006_zpse5d442e0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Yep getting a van from a dry part of the states is a good idea. I had a 72 Karmann Ghia from Arizona and the body on it was like new.

• Advertisement

Yep getting a van from a dry part of the states is a good idea. I had a 72 Karmann Ghia from Arizona and the body on it was like new.

I hear there are some good ones that are imported from South Africa too? Have you heard that? Hot dry climate there too so less rust issues, or so I am led to believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Dizzicizzi wrote: »
    I hear there are some good ones that are imported from South Africa too? Have you heard that? Hot dry climate there too so less rust issues, or so I am led to believe!

Very true
    I believe plenty have been brought into ireland
    Alot are battered but critically rust free. Easier to fix a few dings and scrapes than start replacing structural parts and the bottom 6 inches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

The Sth African ones have the advantage of being right hand drive although people rarely find left hand drive a problem after a few miles. As Deckie says, they tend to be a bit more worn and tend not to have the full camping interior left intact. They're good if you want to give the camper a fresh start and put a whole new interior in (one of Cosy Classics services). If you want something more classic then the US interiors can be found in good nick if you're patient. In terms of trust, fair pricing, skills and good service you won't go wrong with Cosy Classics or Krazy Kombis. Joining a site like www.eircooled.com will give you access to a lot of expertise, friendly advice and info on meets & shows. It'd be well worth your while to go to one of the monthly meets or to a show where you can look at and chat about the various options and experiences. There'll be a good few at the Terenure College show in a couple of weeks and there's an aircooled show in Monard a few weeks after that.

Advertisement