Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to use fadas? (Irish language ascii)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 O_Murchu

i find the easiest ALT GR+vowel=fada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Beer Werewolf

After following instructions on here, I got it to work on AIM, MSN, Word, etc.

Mine is different: I press Ctrl then ' then vowel.

However it doesn't work on FireFox. Ctrl + Alt + Vowel works on Internet Explorer, however. That same key sequence works for Notepad also.

But nothing for FireFox? Bugger! I'm gonna fiddle with the settings on it...if anyone has any ideas, give me a buzz! Thanks for those who put useful help up, saved me a good deal of time!

EDIT

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/459

This add-on will enable it for FireFox. :)

• áéíóú yep that add-on works - using alt gr & letter

edit: my post moved while responding ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nia87

Gleanndún wrote: »
    i just have my computer set to the english (gaelic) setting and it turns the single quotation into a hot key so that ' + a = á without having to hold things at the same time or nething.

i also have my own question tho, how do u make the dots on top of the consonants? ive heard something about something called "latin-8 ascii' but thats not on my computer and i have no idea where 2 get it. ne ideas ne1? go raibh maith agat!

gleanndún

I have the same query in reagards to the dots above the consonants. I've tried downloading fonts etc, but still have ALOT of trouble trying to get them to come up on screen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

WTF:eek: how haven't I found this out before!!!!!!!!!:eek:
    all this time I've been using cut & paste with character map:o this alt gr thing is sooooooooo much easier!!!!!!!!!!!

Go raibh míle maith agat!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭nbrome

I put my language at English (Ireland) and keyboard US International. I still can't get fadas with either vowel + alt gr or vowel + ctrl alt. Or at least, vowel + alt gr gives me a fada now and again - a line of "a" s looks like secret code with a fada now and again!
    Oh, and I see those inverted commas I just wrote give me double sets and I have to backtrack and cancel one out. Out of the frying pan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

nbrome wrote: »
    I put my language at English (Ireland) and keyboard US International. I still can't get fadas with either vowel + alt gr or vowel + ctrl alt. Or at least, vowel + alt gr gives me a fada now and again - a line of "a" s looks like secret code with a fada now and again!
    Oh, and I see those inverted commas I just wrote give me double sets and I have to backtrack and cancel one out. Out of the frying pan?

You have to select an Irish keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

My work laptop has an american keyboard layout. As a result I downloaded a keymap called "United States-Gaeilge". I can do both fada's and punc buailte
    ḃ ċ ḋ ḟ ġ ṁ ṗ ṡ ṫ

Dubhthach -> Duḃṫaċ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭AWard

Screen wipes...random dust specks are confusing me as far as punctuation.

What is alt GR?

AWard wrote: »
    Screen wipes...random dust specks are confusing me as far as punctuation.

What is alt GR?

It's the key to the right of the spacebar. On some keyboards it might be just a second Alt key:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr

It's what's called a modifier key. For example you can use it to put in stuff like
    AltGr + C = ©
    AltGr + R = ®

As well as symbols like: ¼½¾¥×÷¿¶×÷§Æ¢µ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭AWard

OK...not a native option on my laptop. I installed the firefox add-on though so that may be my best option. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Indiego

how about you try this
    ctrl + alt + the vowel you want
    im only 14, and when i do irish essays etc on my computer i use this, works on every computer ive ever used, regardless of the regional gobbledygook :)
    give it a go :)
    áéíóú

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Indiego wrote: »
    how about you try this
    ctrl + alt + the vowel you want
    im only 14, and when i do irish essays etc on my computer i use this, works on every computer ive ever used, regardless of the regional gobbledygook :)
    give it a go :)
    áéíóú

Works on your computers because they all come from the same country I presume?

I really need to get the fadas working. I have an American laptop. No Alt-Gr and the above doesn't work. I have changed the keyboard to Irish and then Gaelic (both under English) but there is no English (Ireland).

Any ideas??

dory wrote: »
    Works on your computers because they all come from the same country I presume?

I really need to get the fadas working. I have an American laptop. No Alt-Gr and the above doesn't work. I have changed the keyboard to Irish and then Gaelic (both under English) but there is no English (Ireland).

Any ideas??

My laptop has a US keyboard. You have two options, switch it to "US-International" in which case AltGr + key should work. You can also download and install "United States Gaeilge" which is what I use (under Win 7 x64) http://mearchlar.tripod.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

US-International is great for accents or unusual letters for all Roman alphabet languages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dgcrow

i'm using PowerPoint and your tip helps except it only works on word so i have to keep copying letters off Irish language websites and pasting them onto my document!
    It's really annoying
    please help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

dgcrow wrote: »
    i'm using PowerPoint and your tip helps except it only works on word so i have to keep copying letters off Irish language websites and pasting them onto my document!
    It's really annoying
    please help

Right-click on EN (next to time and speaker)
    >> Settings
    >> Add Irish keyboard
    >> OK >> You have Irish letters
    Now change language EN > IR (Left-click on EN, tick on IR)
    When you want á you press Alt(Right)+a, same with í, é, ó, ú.

Hope this will help.

Works fine for me in powerpoint, you just to make sure you have right keymapping in place.

powerpoint-gaeilge.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Haigh - I find it very frustrating not being able to put in fadas too (and accents for other languages such as Scots Gaelic and Italian) I'm not very gifted when it comes to IT, having never ever been through a training course. You would have thought that they would have come up with some kind of an easy system of doing it - I see that in the early days of typewriters they did in fact have an Irish keyboard. Why can't they do that now? I've heard of 'language bars' that you add on - at least that is what I think they call it. Here in France, I have an AZERTY keyboard and all the accents that you need for French are on it - the computer system we have is Family Vista Windows - I have an Alt key on the left hand side and an Alt Gr on the right and a bit further right there's a Ctrl key - so how do I put in letters with fadas? Help please! (Oh and I don't even have a key for Euro sign, would you believe it)
    This is what I have under the numbers é è ç à and I can add ^ and ¨ to vowels and I have ù.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

franc 91 wrote: »
    Haigh - I find it very frustrating not being able to put in fadas too (and accents for other languages such as Scots Gaelic and Italian) I'm not very gifted when it comes to IT, having never ever been through a training course. You would have thought that they would have come up with some kind of an easy system of doing it - I see that in the early days of typewriters they did in fact have an Irish keyboard. Why can't they do that now? I've heard of 'language bars' that you add on - at least that is what I think they call it. Here in France, I have an AZERTY keyboard and all the accents that you need for French are on it - the computer system we have is Family Vista Windows - I have an Alt key on the left hand side and an Alt Gr on the right and a bit further right there's a Ctrl key - so how do I put in letters with fadas? Help please! (Oh and I don't even have a key for Euro sign, would you believe it)
    This is what I have under the numbers é è ç à and I can add ^ and ¨ to vowels and I have ù.

For most, just press and hold Alt Gr and the vowel to put the fada on it.
    To get the € sign, use Alt Gr and 4 (along the top).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

OK I'll have a go - GRMA
    Franc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Ok. Tá súil agam gur féidir duine éigin cabhrú liom leis an bhfadhb seo.

Fuair mé ríomhaire nua inne agus tá Word 7 suiteáilte. De ghnáth, cuireann me ‘alt’, ‘ctrl’ agus an fada agus as sin, faigheann mé na fadaí.

Bhíos in ann é a dhéanamh trí ‘Insert' ==> ‘Symbol’ ==> ‘More Symbols’ agus ag brú ‘Shortcut Key’ le ‘alt’, ‘ctrl’ agus an fada. Anois, áfach, nílim in ann a fhorscríobh na haicearraí atá ann cheana féin.

An mbeadh eolas ar bith ag éinne conas is féidir liom na aicearraí thuas a úsáid le Word 7?

I.S.: Tá na haicearraí ceanna ag obair go hiomlán ar an idirlíon leis an ríomhaire seo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

dubhthach wrote: »
    My work laptop has an american keyboard layout. As a result I downloaded a keymap called "United States-Gaeilge". I can do both fada's and punc buailte
    ḃ ċ ḋ ḟ ġ ṁ ṗ ṡ ṫ

Dubhthach -> Duḃṫaċ

Know this is quite an old thread, but just found out that with a Mac, you can do this by selecting the Irish (Extended) keyboard — It's [OPTION + W], then the consonant that need to be softened :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Also just found, the 'Tironian' et (⁊) is [ALT] + [SHIFT] + '&' in the Irish Extended set, and the dotless i (ı) is the same as ponc séimhithe — [ALT] + W, then 'i'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CLASSGENIUS

á I see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I'm on the gaeilge.ie website. It is unnavigable if you're using Chrome. They need to fix that. So I went into Internet Explorer and it was working fine at first.

However, when I was filling in the form using an Internet Explorer browser, when I pressed the word with the fada, I lost everything in the form. I tried it again with a single word, and the same thing happened. What causes this?

Here is the form in question (you must be using Explorer) to see for yourself: http://www.gaeilge.ie/site/contact.asp

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I'm on the gaeilge.ie website. It is unnavigable if you're using Chrome. They need to fix that. So I went into Internet Explorer and it was working fine at first.

However, when I was filling in the form using an Internet Explorer browser, when I pressed the word with the fada, I lost everything in the form. I tried it again with a single word, and the same thing happened. What causes this?

Here is the form in question (you must be using Explorer) to see for yourself: http://www.gaeilge.ie/site/contact.asp

Just gave it a quick try and typed in words with fadas but I found no problems with IE 11 or Chrome using Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Poll Dubh wrote: »
    Just gave it a quick try and typed in words with fadas but I found no problems with IE 11 or Chrome using Windows 7.

No problem now either with Chrome. Is the webpage appearing odd for you through Chrome, as if it's only made to be used with IE?

• Advertisement

gaiscioch wrote: »
    No problem now either with Chrome. Is the webpage appearing odd for you through Chrome, as if it's only made to be used with IE?

I opened gaeilge.ie on IE and Chrome at same time and alt-tabbed between them. I looked at a few different pages. The layout is the same and the only difference I see is that the text is rendered slightly differently.

Is your Chrome updating? If you click 'About Google Chrome' in the dropdown menu it should say 'Google Chrome is up to date'

Advertisement