Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

People keep referring to the fact that income tax hasn't been affected much.

Can someone tell me, if someone is on the covid payment does that count towards their pre tax pay and then they get taxed on the total as usual? i.e. are the government giving with one hand and taking away with the other?

It is a taxable payment, like the TWSS, but is not being taxed in real time. Will be collected in future years.

A lot on the covid payment wouldn't be earning enough to pay tax anyway, so probably not a huge amount of it coming back via tax collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Why do you say spain is a failed society? Standard of living way better than in Ireland

Is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Darc19 wrote: »
    I'm not saying he doesn't know his stuff, but he likes to look at it from a pessimistic view.

Perfect for the indo.

you do not need the weatherman to tell you it's raining. And like met they always get it arseways:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The Belly wrote: »
    you do not need the weatherman to tell you it's raining. And like met they always get it arseways:)

4 weeks ago he said retail is going to be like the construction sector of the last crash.

Retail excellence who represent retailers said this week that retail has recovered strongly except in city center locations.

Also, a lot of hospitality in the tourism areas of Cork. Kerry, galway and the north west have had a good season.

So targeted supports are apt and I just can't see how the property market can drop in a substantial manner.

Though I am keeping an eye out for value to add property into a pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

People keep referring to the fact that income tax hasn't been affected much.

Can someone tell me, if someone is on the covid payment does that count towards their pre tax pay and then they get taxed on the total as usual? i.e. are the government giving with one hand and taking away with the other?

Exactly this yes

So most people will owe about 20euro a week back on tax. But this is expected since this would be what they would pay anyway. They are not being had.

• Advertisement

Why do you say spain is a failed society? Standard of living way better than in Ireland

Is this meant to be sarcastic or something?

Under what criteria is standard of living in Spain "way better" than in Ireland?

Are you basing it on how much sun they get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

awec wrote: »
    Everyone will go back to the old ways. Not even the most pessimistic crank believes this is going to be around forever.

Within a few years the covid aspect of this will all be yesterday’s news.

Absolute nonsense. In my opinion anyway. Bars mostly make their money from the 5 deep queues at the bar counter on a Friday and Saturday night.

The whole western system of the consumer economy is dependent upon rash spending (drunk people, sales event i.e. lots of people grouped together etc.)

Drunk people support the takeaways, taxis etc.

Many of the high spending tourists are older first generation Irish American visitors and they’re not coming back in any significant numbers.

I don’t think people are thinking this through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Actually financially for working people, it's probably better in Ireland.
    Net average monthly salary (adjusted for living costs in Purchasing power parity):
    526749.JPG

But for Quality of Life, Spain has better rating:
    526750.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭HotDudeLife

Marius34 wrote: »
    Actually financially for working people, it's probably better in Ireland.
    Net average monthly salary (adjusted for living costs in Purchasing power parity):
    526749.JPG

But for Quality of Life, Spain has better rating:
    526750.JPG

Source?

• Advertisement

They must not have asked the 20% that are unemployed across the south of Spain (and that was pre covid, I'd shudder to think what it is now) when they did that quality of life survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    They must not have asked the 20% that are unemployed across the south of Spain (and that was pre covid, I'd shudder to think what it is now) when they did that quality of life survey.

In normal times better to live in Barcelona or Valencia and commute if you can do the flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Actually I just realized there are so many different quality of life indexes, that in some it gives better results to Ireland, for others Spain.

In the end looking at financial side, Ireland appears to be by all measures better than Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thefridge2006

Graham wrote: »
    I'm not convinced you quite grasp what examinership is.

It's not government support

Didn't say it was.....????

what i meant was that a lot of companies are more or less in the same boat as this company (that's in examinership) except they're on life support from the Government

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

We could manage our housing problem with compulsory purchase orders of land.

Come on? Farmers need 100,000 times their income when they sell land! It’s only fair! Of course a farmer making 20k a year should get 200 million for a few fields

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

So to clarify, you think people will no longer go out, and we're not getting any tourists back, ever.

You reckon we're the ones not thinking this through?

Covid is going to wreak havoc for a year or two, but please lets maintain some grip on reality before we descend into the rabid hysteria.

As soon as the restrictions are lifted (and they WILL be lifted, it is genuine insanity to think otherwise) the pubs will be 5 deep at the bar again. If they lifted the restrictions tomorrow, the pubs would be 5 deep tomorrow night. That is precisely why they have been so slow to open pubs. As soon as people are told they can fly again without quarantine (and they WILL be told this), they will fly. The idea that we are going to lose all our rich tourists forever is pure misery merchant stuff.

Agree with you that at some stage the covid threat will pass and the desire to get back to normal will be strong.

But the key is how much damage will have been done by then, if covid wreaks havoc for a year or two?

There are a heap of businesses who weren't exactly shooting the lights out pre covid, and this will finish them off. eg Ulster Bank and Cara chemists

And then there will be a ton of hitherto perfectly strong companies who can survive on fumes whilst the government are supporting them, but as soon as those supports are withdrawn they'll go wallop.

On top of that I think you will see a load of SMEs, particularly in tourism and hospitality, who had been doing absolutely fine, but owners will simply close down and retire gracefully. Ordinarily they would have sold the business as a going concern but that is unlikely now.

And when we do eventually get back to normal, don't underestimate the subtle shifts in human behaviour. Yes I think people will be gagging to get back to a packed bar or a busy restaurant, but once the novelty has worn off will they continue as often as they did pre covid?

I suspect we'll see a lot of people revert to whatever new habits they might have picked up during lockdown. eg eating out. I know loads of people who thought nothing of eating out two/three even four times a week. No chance of them continuing to do so, not because of a killer disease, just they have realised they actually enjoying cooking and eating at home.

These shifts in behaviour will translate into a lot of lost revenue for many businesses.

Yes. we'll recover in time, but it won't be V shaped, in my opinion.

EDIT: It seems your post I quoted has completely vanished?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

So to clarify, you think people will no longer go out, and we're not getting any tourists back, ever.

You reckon we're the ones not thinking this through?

Covid is going to wreak havoc for a year or two, but please lets maintain some grip on reality before we descend into the rabid hysteria.

As soon as the restrictions are lifted (and they WILL be lifted, it is genuine insanity to think otherwise) the pubs will be 5 deep at the bar again. If they lifted the restrictions tomorrow, the pubs would be 5 deep tomorrow night. That is precisely why they have been so slow to open pubs. As soon as people are told they can fly again without quarantine (and they WILL be told this), they will fly. The idea that we are going to lose all our rich tourists forever is pure misery merchant stuff.

Your optimism might be well founded if the entire western world wasn’t already a debt based “consumer” economy completely drowned in debt and destined for a catastrophic economic downturn well before this pandemic. Global debt is now 350% of GDP and we are only a few months into a 24-48 month pandemic. This does not have a happy ending.

Money doesn’t grow on trees. At the height of the last crisis in 2009 Ireland’s deficit was 23 billion that included 4 billion to Anglo...Care to guess what the budget deficit will be this year..?

Smouse156 wrote: »
    Come on? Farmers need 100,000 times their income when they sell land! It’s only fair! Of course a farmer making 20k a year should get 200 million for a few fields

CPO would allow councils to choose best place to build houses. Pay a fair price for the land and no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Everyone will go back to the old ways. Not even the most pessimistic crank believes this is going to be around forever.

Within a few years the covid aspect of this will all be yesterday’s news.

We were nearing the end of a hyper growth cycle anyway which covid has just accelerated. People might want to go back to old ways but they won't have the cash to be able to.

While we hear about the jobs lost being low paid jobs, this (1) isn't all that is affected and (2) will still have significant negative effects to the economy.

On (1) we know that even the tech companies have cut jobs and where they haven't, they have stopped hiring. With the big law firms, all have frozen or cut salaries, partner payouts and even staff bonuses. I have some friends in these law firms who have told me this.

On (2), if students cant get their few hours in retail or in a bar, there goes rent and living expenses so the bank of mommy and daddy needs to step in, for those that can afford to. All late bars and nightclubs are closed in Ireland for at least another 6 months, that's the whole industry gone as we know it. For "wet" pubs in Dublin, it's all well and good giving restart grants for stock and wages while paying staff when they're closed but without the booming food trade during the day with tourists and office workers, most will go under without State subsidies which won't last indefinitely once they reopen. Additionally, even if low paid jobs aren't lost, they could be on less hours which means less cash to spend on rents and in the local economy.

I suppose a big benefit for this recession is that individual borrowing isn't high right now compared to the Celtic Tiger years. This will enable a quicker bounce back. I think companies and investors are the ones leveraged who will suffer horribly. For example, leveraged commercial property investors.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Darc19 wrote:
    Most of the jobs that are affected are in hospitality / tourism where part-time and Lower pay that contributes little tax is the norm.

I like to be optimistic in life but i feel you're far beyond that level. Let's not forget the aviation industry and the transport sector as a whole, services industry, new business generation etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Darc19 wrote:
    Remember that the biggest problem in the last recession was a massive drop in tax revenues. Combined with massive personal debt. That is not happening this time.

Im hopeful we don't have the same situation as the last recession but tax revenue will be a serious issue this time around too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

We were nearing the end of a hyper growth cycle anyway which covid has just accelerated. People might want to go back to old ways but they won't have the cahs to be able to.

While we hear about the jobs lost being low paid jobs, this (1) isn't all that is affected and (2) will still have significant negative effects to the economy.

On (1) we know that even the tech companies have cut jobs and where they haven't, they have stopped hiring. With the big law firms, all have frozen or cut salaries, partner payouts and even staff bonuses. I have some friends in these law firms who have told me this.

On (2), if students cant get their few hours in retail or in a bar, there goes rent and living expenses so the bank of mommy and daddy needs to step in, for those that can afford to. All late bars and nightclubs are closed in Ireland for at least another 6 months, that's the whole industry gone as we know it. For "wet" pubs in Dublin, it's all well and good giving restart grants for stock and wages while paying staff when they're closed but without the booming food trade during the day with tourists and office workers, most will go under without State subsidies which won't last indefinitely once they reopen. Additionally, even if low paid jobs aren't lost, they could be on less hours which means less cash to spend on rents and in the local economy.

I suppose a big benefit for this recession is that individual borrowing isn't high right now compared to the Celtic Tiger years. This will enable a quicker bounce back. I think companies and investors are the ones leveraged who will suffer horribly. For example, leveraged commercial property investors.

While that may be true about individual borrowing our government debt is now enormous. We are all on the hook for that monstrosity including the prudent savers among us. We were already paying 10% of our tax take on interest alone and that’s at record low interest rates and pre Covid.

Two 1950s 3 bed bungalows in SCD, both in need of modernisation.

19 Redesdale Road - sold November 2018 for €770k
    21 Redesdale Road - sold September 2020 for €610k

No 19 has had some recent work eg new windows, and some internal insulation.
    No 21 has an extra 24 sqm, presumably thanks to the attic conversion which makes it potentially a 4/5 bed.

Those are the main differences I can see - anybody else see something I am missing that accounts for the 20% price drop since 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

schmittel wrote: »

No 21 has an extra 24 sqm, presumably thanks to the attic conversion which makes it potentially a 4/5 bed.

Those are the main differences I can see - anybody else see something I am missing that accounts for the 20% price drop since 2018?

The antique carpet in #19. Definitely an original 1965 Curragh design, worth a fortune :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

no.8 wrote:
    Im hopeful we don't have the same situation as the last recession but tax revenue will be a serious issue this time around too

Unfortunately, globally, a similar set of issues, is once again arising in our financial services, a dramatic fall in demand for new credit and an increasing likelihood of defaults and none performing loans, expect trouble!
    pearcider wrote:
    While that may be true about individual borrowing our government debt is now enormous. We are all on the hook for that monstrosity including the prudent savers among us. We were already paying 10% of our tax take on interest alone and that’s at record low interest rates and pre Covid.

Rising public debt rarely causes crashes, private debt is the most dangerous one, and globally, this is still the case, as above, expect trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Insane prices.
    My friends mum lives on that road. I’d say both are executor sales. People on that road were old 20 years ago!
    Is that a big telescope in a pic of 21?

Hubertj wrote: »
    Insane prices.
    My friends mum lives on that road. I’d say both are executor sales. People on that road were old 20 years ago!
    Is that a big telescope in a pic of 21?

It sort of looks like it, but it is one hell of of a big telescope, though I guess it would be valley of the squinting windows area!

I also wondered if it was some sort of morbid medical device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

....On (1) we know that even the tech companies have cut jobs and where they haven't, they have stopped hiring. With the big law firms, all have frozen or cut salaries, partner payouts and even staff bonuses. I have some friends in these law firms who have told me this....

Not all. We've taken on 3 new hires in our unit during the lockdown and new contractors. Outside of my own place, I know a few people in new jobs hired and interviewed remotely. One of which is in legal, solicitor etc.

I also know people who have lost jobs and/or not working. So it's a bit of a mixed bag.. Lot more out then in overall though obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭neutral guy

I dont worry about growing debt of Ireland untill country able pay her debt and investors continue lending.
    In last years money are very cheap on markets if not free what is good for refinance the debt
    Some money are even with negative rate
    But money will be more expensive once global recession will be started
    If country will be in trouble pay her debt VAT will be rised to 30 per cent / income taxes to heaven high/etc/etc/etc
    How much people has savings in Ireland ?240 billions ? What is debt of Ireand ? So there is plenty place to rise taxes,country has plenty money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

It sort of looks like it, but it is one hell of of a big telescope, though I guess it would be valley of the squinting windows area!

I also wondered if it was some sort of morbid medical device.

There were plenty of nosey neighbours! Pretty sure it is a telescope

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement