Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Immersion smart control

• 29-08-2019 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

i recently got a smart control for my heating installed and find it great. Is there one available for immersions also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

ChoKuRay wrote: »
    i recently got a smart control for my heating installed and find it great. Is there one available for immersions also?

I use the 2nd channel on a nest to control mine via a relay switch.

I have previously used a 16amp sonoff switch wired in line before the immersion switch to give on/off and timer control. Cheap cheerful and very effective IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

I have this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimum-OP-BM-IHTWF01-Universal-Immersion/dp/B077NBZ3LD/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=Immersion+alexa&qid=1567107286&s=gateway&sr=8-8 - works fine. You can use Google Assistant, Alexa, Smartthings or their own app to turn it on/off or setup routines. Or just press a button on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

davegilly wrote: »
    I have this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimum-OP-BM-IHTWF01-Universal-Immersion/dp/B077NBZ3LD/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=Immersion+alexa&qid=1567107286&s=gateway&sr=8-8 - works fine. You can use Google Assistant, Alexa, Smartthings or their own app to turn it on/off or setup routines. Or just press a button on it :)

I have a different one from the same crowd, straight swap for the existing time switch.

Optimum Wifi Switch

Video of it in action here:

Did you turn off the Immersion?

App allows you to set up timings/a schedule. Works well with Alexa.. also have it linked through IFTTT so can use my Versa to turn it on and off.

Very handy bit of kit!

Downside is you can't control the Bath/Sink switch over.

Doesn't bother us - we rarely use the Bath function, but for others may be an issue - there are other threads on boards where people have used various sonoffs to get around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have this fellow, connects to your house wi-fi and you can control it from anywhere ....

https://www.timeguard.com/products/time/immersion-and-general-purpose-timeswitches/wi-fi-controlled-fused-spur

zinzan wrote: »

Doesn't bother us - we rarely use the Bath function, but for others may be an issue - there are other threads on boards where people have used various sonoffs to get around this.

I researched this to see if I could buy a two channel timer where I could control Sink and Bath but any '2 channel' timer I found was subject to the Economy 7 system in the UK. Whereby the Bath element could only be heated during off-peak periods.

For example, on the Sangamo website, there is only one 2 channel timer and the user manual says the following....

This product differs from a simple time switch as it has programs built in that match with Economy 7, Economy 10 and Eco 20:20 electricity tariffs.

This ensures your tank operates during off peak times avoiding expensive peak use. As such this controller is not freely programmable

https://www.sangamo.co.uk/collection...-7-controllers

Meaning that you could have the sink element heating at any time you liked but the Bath element could only be used during off-peak hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Can anyone suggest a smart switch which would replace the standard on/off sink/bath switch on my wall?
    Its only a one element immersion

Cabaal wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a smart switch which would replace the standard on/off sink/bath switch on my wall?

See posts #3, #4 and #5 above.

Why do you have a Sink/Bath switch when there's only one element? What you should have in that situation (if you don't have a timer) is a switched spur...

8009D_P

• Registered Users Posts: 15 macthaidhg

I'm keen to install a smart wifi switch for the immersion soon and so far it's a toss-up between the Sonoff POW R2 and Optimum OP-SBWF01. the Optimum might edge it with the manual button, although the power monitoring on Sonoff would be nice. Question: Is the manual button on the Optimum "on/off" or can it be programmed to boost for say 30 mins in the app?

I also stumbled upon Aqualoop (hotwatercontrol.com/) which looks quite innovative, but a bit pricy. Anyone know anything about it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Cabaal wrote: »

Sonoff TH16

macthaidhg wrote: »
    I'm keen to install a smart wifi switch for the immersion soon and so far it's a toss-up between the Sonoff POW R2 and Optimum OP-SBWF01. the Optimum might edge it with the manual button, although the power monitoring on Sonoff would be nice. Question: Is the manual button on the Optimum "on/off" or can it be programmed to boost for say 30 mins in the app?

I also stumbled upon Aqualoop (http://www.hotwatercontrol.com/en/) which looks quite innovative, but a bit pricy. Anyone know anything about it?

The manual button is On/Off only - no way of changing its functionality in the app.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    I use the 2nd channel on a nest to control mine via a relay switch.

I have previously used a 16amp sonoff switch wired in line before the immersion switch to give on/off and timer control. Cheap cheerful and very effective IMO.

can we get a look at your set up ?
    I picked up a nest gen 3 and plan to wire it this weekend.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

coylemj wrote: »
    See posts #3, #4 and #5 above.

Why do you have a Sink/Bath switch when there's only one element? What you should have in that situation (if you don't have a timer) is a switched spur...

Guess there's two elements so, a higher and lower one, as my switch has On/Off AND Sink/Bath.

Thing is I'd like to totally replace the switch with a smart switch, not add an additional switch/device on the wall. What device would be suitable for this, my main goal would be a timer

The manual button is On/Off only - no way of changing its functionality in the app.

Thanks. That's pretty good - I think I'll go with the Optimum OP-SBWF01 then.

macthaidhg wrote: »
    Thanks. That's pretty good - I think I'll go with the Optimum OP-SBWF01 then.

Aqualoop www.hotwatercontrol.com looks like it has a lot of potential - particularly with the temperature feedback control. However it's pricey at €185. I'd happily pay that if I could find reviews for the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

gctest50 wrote:
    You might want to wire one channel to a contactor to select Bath OR Sink, the wiring may not be too happy if both were on together

Pretty sure there is an interlock.

Anyway I've a lightwaverf immersion switch, cant select bath or sink.

It's ok has a mechanical timer on ot. Might not get it today, but it's in ages and not really worth changing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,441 ✭✭✭✭banie01

can we get a look at your set up ?
    I picked up a nest gen 3 and plan to wire it this weekend.

I'll try and add some pics later.

But a quick description would be this.
    Connection out from free channel on the heatlink to a contactor switch.
    Contactor switch is wired into my existing Immersion switch, which is left set to on and bath.

So a call for hot water to the Nest activates the contactor and switches on the immersion.

Works well and allows one app control the heat and hot water.

I am considering switch to maybe a motorized valve setup to allow the hot water to be heated solely via the boiler in the future as a little bit of an economy measure but that's a question I need to ask over on plumbing and heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

coylemj wrote: »
    I have this fellow, connects to your house wi-fi and you can control it from anywhere ....

https://www.timeguard.com/products/time/immersion-and-general-purpose-timeswitches/wi-fi-controlled-fused-spur
    Looks like what I need, but the lack of integration with home automation systems seems shortsighted. Any idea what the wifi range is like?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

2011 wrote:
    Sonoff TH16

Sonoff TH16 Duo ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

So here's my work-around on the dual immersion switch to make it smart and work with Alexa;
    Already have philips hue hub for lights so.
    Needed;
    *Double zigbee switch, which replaces the wall switch and feeds into panel inside the hot-press https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GSNT1G3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    *Distribution board/panel with din-rail to house the following https://www.freetv.ie/surface-board/
    *2 x 4 pole NO 20A or above contactors with 220v coils (MCB in main fuse board is 20A)
    *2 X 2 pole NC 20A or above contactors with 220v coils
    *5A MCB for the control

The panel is wired in a non-priority/electrical interlocking manner so only one function works at a time. Sink locks out bath, and visa-versa.
    Name the switches 'Sink' and 'Bath'.
    See attached wiring diagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

davegilly wrote: »

So an update on this - Works perfectly.

I have it setup and working with Smartthings through IFTTT. You can create routines so it works on scheduled timers or On/Off as required or as Boost mode (on for an hour or whatever time you set it for) I use actiontiles on a fire tablet in the kitchen to control everything and this has passed the wife test with flying colours. Highly recommended if you use Smartthings.

Works with it's own app as well of course as well as Alexa/Google

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Is there anyway an old nest would do the job?

😎

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Is there anyway an old nest would do the job?

Yes, just use the Nest to control a contactor that is rated for at least 20A. This contactor is then rated to switch a standard 3 kW immersion on and off. Downstream from this can be the standard immersion switch with both the on/off switch and the sink/bath selection switch. That way the Nest can provide power to whichever element is selected (sink or bath).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Stoner wrote: »
    Pretty sure there is an interlock.

Anyway I've a lightwaverf immersion switch, cant select bath or sink.

It's ok has a mechanical timer on ot. Might not get it today, but it's in ages and not really worth changing

what exactly do you have Stoner? thanks

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ismisepaul

I have a different one from the same crowd, straight swap for the existing time switch.

Video of it in action here:

App allows you to set up timings/a schedule. Works well with Alexa.. also have it linked through IFTTT so can use my Versa to turn it on and off.

Very handy bit of kit!

Any reason why you didn't go for the two channel option (released after the single)?

It should work for bath/sink, right?

"OP-SBWF02 2 Channel Wi-Fi Socket Box Timer. 2 x 230V. Remotely programmable via The User’s Home WiFi hub and a Smartphone app." on Amazon and rfe.ie

The dual channel is only rated at 10amp resistive - 5 amp per channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Has anybody got the Climote immersion controller? Mine is an on/off sink/bath but needs replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

This reminds me of a video review of a smart relay with a tear down. The switch was rated for 16A but the PCB tracks had solder flow over them to beef up their current rating. The conclusion was it was cheap made in china stuff and they wouldn't install it in their home which was the biggest investment they would ever make.

If you have control over your boiler and zones, you don't need control over the immersion it cheaper to use gas to heat the water year round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 davidc27

I got an Optimum Connect OP-SBWF01 wifi immersion switch. Does anyone know how to wire it. I have my existing Bath/Sink On/Off switch but dont know how to wire it and the immersion element into the new WiFi switch. Existing switch has L&N mains coming in and a dark brown wire to Sink and Black wire to Bath wired. The last wire (apart from earths) is a blue wire to the Out terminal on the Immersion switch. The Wifi switch (according to the instructions) has 1-L (from mains), 2-N (from mains), 3-Live in to timer, 4-Live out to appliance, 5-appears to be linked to 3. Any help appreciated. I cant find any videos on the internet showing how to wire it.

Advertisement