Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

e-scooters to become legal in Germany

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Should Three ireland be selling these things if they are illegal? I want to buy one but don't want to end up having it confiscated and potentially hauled to court for no insurance and tax either... This is the answer to no driving and waiting for buses in Dublin...I sweat like a pig when I cycle and it doesn't help at all arriving at work like I took a swim in Mount Olympia in my clothes.

Course they should if they're profitable, nothing illegal about selling them, or using them on private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Should Three ireland be selling these things if they are illegal? I want to buy one but don't want to end up having it confiscated and potentially hauled to court for no insurance and tax either... This is the answer to no driving and waiting for buses in Dublin...I sweat like a pig when I cycle and it doesn't help at all arriving at work like I took a swim in Mount Olympia in my clothes.

I heard tell that Three froze sales but no confirmation if thats true.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I sweat like a pig when I cycle and it doesn't help at all arriving at work like I took a swim in Mount Olympia in my clothes.

You are probably overdressed.
    Dress for how warm you will feel after ten minutes cycling, not how warm you feel when you step outside the door.
    (Or start with a jacket on and take it off after a few minutes)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

People wearing black clothing with black helmets!

Do they want to be knocked off :confused:

Hi Vis jackets please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Hi Vis jackets please.

I'm sure you'll be backing that up with links to your research....
    ...Regardless of scenario, drivers hit yellow-jacketed cyclists at a slightly higher rate..

https://cyclingfallacies.com/en/19/people-should-wear-hi-viz-when-cycling
    Small but potentially lethal number of drivers will pass too close whatever you wear

https://road.cc/content/news/99660-high-vis-clothing-doesnt-make-cars-pass-you-more-safely-says-new-study

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Hi Vis jackets please.

If you want to understand why this is a bad idea, have a read of the Cycling forum's Hi-Vis megathread...

Oops sorry, I was mistaken by thinking that e scooter riders wearing Hi Vis clothing would be more visible to drivers (than wearing all black) .....

My only question being what's the point of Hi Vis clothing (and reflectors) if they have no effect on safety ?

My old fashioned head thought that if 'e scooter' riders wore hi Vis clothing/jackets then they would be more easily seen in the dark .... but apparently not :(

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Oops sorry, I was mistaken by thinking that e scooter riders wearing Hi Vis clothing would be more visible to drivers (than wearing all black) .....

My only question being what's the point of Hi Vis clothing (and reflectors) if they have no effect on safety ?

My old fashioned head thought that if 'e scooter' riders wore hi Vis clothing/jackets then they would be more easily seen in the dark .... but apparently not :(

I'll get my coat.

If you have headlights on your car, how do you find it difficult to see and avoid a pedestrian (or otherwise) in dark clothing if you are travelling at an appropriate speed?

cdaly_ wrote: »
    If you want to understand why this is a bad idea, have a read of the Cycling forum's Hi-Vis megathread...

Maybe we should put hi viz on this post...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

donvito99 wrote: »
    If you have headlights on your car, how do you find it difficult to see and avoid a pedestrian (or otherwise) in dark clothing if you are travelling at an appropriate speed?

Headlights are there so the vehicle can be seen, full beams is to see.

• Advertisement

prinzeugen wrote: »

Where did you get that from?
    ...Low beam (dipped beam, passing beam, meeting beam) headlamps provide a distribution of light designed to provide forward and lateral illumination, with limits on light directed towards the eyes of other road users to control glare. This beam is intended for use whenever other vehicles are present ahead, whether oncoming or being overtaken...

This thread is about eScooters can we leave the other stuff to other threads. Has anyone else here bought one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

easy mistake to make.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i recently saw a chap on an electric scooter which had a much larger front wheel than normal - maybe not 26", but definitely bigger than 20" i think. would strike me as safer to use than the usual ones you see with wheels which are (rough guess) 8"?

easy mistake to make.

I presume the same would apply to cyclists (without lights) wearing black clothing being just as visible as those in Hi vis gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Used a Lime shared one for the first time in Lisbon last week, it was brilliant actually! If they can do something about them just being left everywhere I'd be all for them here.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Used a Lime shared one for the first time in Lisbon last week, it was brilliant actually! If they can do something about them just being left everywhere I'd be all for them here.

Maybe they need to have NFC tag, that registers if they are left back in a marked zone.

I presume the same would apply to cyclists (without lights) wearing black clothing being just as visible as those in Hi vis gear?
    not having lights on a bike (during lighting up hours) is illegal.
    however, your post that was being reacted to was about hi-vis, not lights.

as recommended by cdaly above, this has lots of reading if you're interested:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88491882

(TL;DR - it's pretty much unanimous from all cyclists on that thread that lights are vital. the opinion/evidence about hi-vis is very equivocal. not helped that the RSA talk about hi-vis as being the panacea to all of life's ills, to the detriment of any message about lights)

beauf wrote: »
    Maybe they need to have NFC tag, that registers if they are left back in a marked zone.
    They all have GNSS receivers actually and the company knows where they are at all times, but I was more thinking along the lines of stopping them blocking paths or left in dangerous places. In Lisbon (and I've read that it's common in other cities) they just seemed to be dumped wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

ThomasJ85 wrote: »
    Yes, but I believe in France it is legal. Just saying, if Germany are making them legal, we need to follow their path. People deserve an alternative to a car or motorbike.

Bicycle?

• Advertisement

They all have GNSS receivers actually and the company knows where they are at all times, but I was more thinking along the lines of stopping them blocking paths or left in dangerous places. In Lisbon (and I've read that it's common in other cities) they just seemed to be dumped wherever.

I mean if they are not put back in a designated place you get a fine, or extra charge like bleeper bikes.

beauf wrote: »
    I mean if they are not put back in a designated place you get a fine, or extra charge like bleeper bikes.
    Oh I get you now. It was actually quite handy being able to pick them up wherever or leave it wherever, even making sure they're up against a wall or railings away from doors or narrow footpaths would be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Breaking news of a wannabe Darwin Award nominee from France. What size brains do these idiots have?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/11/man-killed-while-riding-e-scooter-on-french-motorway

Portsalon wrote: »
    Breaking news of a wannabe Darwin Award nominee from France. What size brains do these idiots have?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/11/man-killed-while-riding-e-scooter-on-french-motorway
    And this will be used as an example of why e scooters are dangerous, when in reality it had almost nothing to do with the method of transport used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Are they very dangerous in the wet when going around a corner due to the small wheels? Last time I was on a kids scooter, I went on my snot in the wet.

And this will be used as an example of why e scooters are dangerous, when in reality it had almost nothing to do with the method of transport used.

They'll have to ban motorways after this...

i'm actually impressed that he managed to get it into the fast lane before being killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Yep.

Although if he had been driving a Panhard armoured car, a hovercraft or even a Nissan Leaf, he'd probably have survived being hit by a motorcycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Portsalon wrote: »

Around Midnight = ?Drink Taken?

Probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

prinzeugen wrote: »

Wowsers. I sincerely hope you don't drive in the evenings or at night with that basic lack of driving knowledge.

Also do you advocate that pedestrians should wear hi viz too?Seeing as how substantially more pedestrians than cyclists are killed by cars each year.

Advertisement