Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ring Pro doorbell in Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

beanian wrote: »
    I'm not seeing that at all. Gives me a dollar price and there is no distinction that it is the new UK version

Would there be any difference between a US and UK version? Ring Pro doesn't come with a power supply so that's one of the biggest differences removed. Maybe the WiFi frequencies would need changing, not sure on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Do these have a wide angled lens. My current door bell is a plaque, think I'll have to get a new plaque and put this door bell onto the plaque, but the plaque is about a 2 feet to the right of the door, would the camera angle be enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

I don't think doorbell voltage is standardised. It's usually just a convention. These circuits were never envisaged to supply anything other than a bell.

You'll find some old 220V mains doorbells in France with a press button that looks more like a light switch.

In general 12 or 24V seems to be the norm.

jester77 wrote: »
    Do these have a wide angled lens. My current door bell is a plaque, think I'll have to get a new plaque and put this door bell onto the plaque, but the plaque is about a 2 feet to the right of the door, would the camera angle be enough?

Fairly wide, the Ring Pro lens is 160 degrees horizontal, 100 degrees vertical.

In general 12 or 24V seems to be the burn.

Ring Pro needs 16v - 24v, I have it working on a 12v without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I only have a battery powered wifi door bell at the moment, don't have a hardwired bell. I have a roof over front door with a gu10 bulb.. Could the ring pro be wired using the power source from this light? I don't fancy drilling holes in internal walls etc

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Uriel. wrote: »
    I only have a battery powered wifi door bell at the moment, don't have a hardwired bell. I have a roof over front door with a gu10 bulb.. Could the ring pro be wired using the power source from this light? I don't fancy drilling holes in internal walls etc

You need a transformer to provide 16-24v to power a ring pro not sure on the ring with the built in battery.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

noel100 wrote:
    You need a transformer to provide 16-24v to power a ring pro not sure on the ring with the built in battery.

They supposedly run for 4 months off a charge, although live view won't run on battery

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Finally got the Ring Pro ordered (using Tunnel Bear). I have it sitting in the house waiting on a sparks to install it.
    Quick question for anyone that has one installed, how fast are the motion alerts via IFTTT?
    I'm thinking of having a rule that when it detects motion turn on an outdoor light. Not sure how fast the Ring Pro->IFTTT->Home Assistant->Hue interaction will be, IFTTT being the obvious bottleneck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone know the width of the ring unit? Have limited space it can fit into.

• Advertisement

Standard Ring: 4.98 x 2.43 x 0.87 inches

Ring Pro: 4.5 x 1.85 x 0.80 inches

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

OU812 wrote: »
    Anyone know the width of the ring unit? Have limited space it can fit into.

Just want to highlight the setup button is on the left hand side of the unit under the cover.

If you have limited space this may be a factor which could mean you have to take it off the wall every time you need to press it.

how fast are the motion alerts via IFTTT?
    I'm thinking of having a rule that when it detects motion turn on an outdoor light.
    To answer my own question on this the delay I'm getting is pretty dire, anywhere from 30-70 seconds which makes it useless for my intended purpose unfortunately.
    Anyone else seeing this delay? My wifi signal is strong beside the doorbell and the ring otherwise works perfectly

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

beanian wrote:
    To answer my own question on this the delay I'm getting is pretty dire, anywhere from 30-70 seconds which makes it useless for my intended purpose unfortunately. Anyone else seeing this delay? My wifi signal is strong beside the doorbell and the ring otherwise works perfectly

A lot of IFTTT responses take this long, I have 5 seconds to 30 minutes in some cases

Stoner wrote: »
    A lot of IFTTT responses take this long, I have 5 seconds to 30 minutes in some cases
    Thats shocking and completely negates the integration with IFTTT as the events the ring fires are all time sensitive.

I have had better luck with this unofficial API (https://github.com/jeroenmoors/php-ring-api), it detects motion within 3-ish seconds. Just need to figure out how to integrate it with Home Assistant, should be straight forward enough

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

To answer my own question on this the delay I'm getting is pretty dire, anywhere from 30-70 seconds which makes it useless for my intended purpose unfortunately.
    Anyone else seeing this delay? My wifi signal is strong beside the doorbell and the ring otherwise works perfectly

Considering how cheap PIR lights are would it not be better just to fit one? I know this is a home automation forum but you seem to want to make something simple complicated for the sake of using the automation.

beanian wrote:
    I have had better luck with this unofficial API (

I'm messing around there myself. Although the one IFTTT ring applet I use ( boosting wifi to the door bell when called) works very well. Most of my commands work within 10 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mikeyb

Hi,

anyone care to provide a link to an appropriate transformer on Amazon for the Ring Pro? Here's the results from a search on Amazon for transformers 16-24v. Just not sure which one to go for. Does the transformer power output matter?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=16-24v+transformer&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A16-24v+transformer

I just bought a Pro from the States but I need the transformer (existing one is 8VAC) to install it,

cheers,

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Apart from 720p vs 1080p, whats the big advantage of the pro? it seems to have a lesser field of view & require a transformer.

mikeyb wrote: »
    Hi,

anyone care to provide a link to an appropriate transformer on Amazon for the Ring Pro? Here's the results from a search on Amazon for transformers 16-24v. Just not sure which one to go for. Does the transformer power output matter?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=16-24v+transformer&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A16-24v+transformer

I just bought a Pro from the States but I need the transformer (existing one is 8VAC) to install it,

cheers,

Mike

This looks pretty close to the one i received. It's a 230v->24v transformer
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Din-Rail-supply-230VAC-suitable-Strips/dp/B01NAJER9K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1484060495&sr=8-5&keywords=230v+16-24v+transformer

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    Apart from 720p vs 1080p, whats the big advantage of the pro? it seems to have a lesser field of view & require a transformer.
    • More advanced motion detection
    • 5ghz Wifi Support
    • Much smaller form factor then the original
    • 4 interchangeable faceplates included in the box

Thanks Benian. I'll go for that.

That API looks interesting too. Do all Ring notifications go out to a remote sever via http? I had thought it would work locally on the wifi network with perhaps the iPhone acting as a server. I had my own standard doorbell rigged up with an Arduino and it was pinging a remote server when someone rang the bell but it was often slow. Hope that's not the case with Ring. I'm installing it for the mother in law, don't want to dissapoint

:-O

cheers,

Mike

Actually Benian, found this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K1CWEUG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and went for it. The link you showed me was a new seller so didn't wanna take the chance and it was going to be shipped from China. This one is actually a 'bell transformer' and is shipped direct from Amazon.co.uk. I'll let you know if it blow up or anything :-)

cheers,

Mike

Yeah that looks perfect.
    Do all Ring notifications go out to a remote sever via http?
    Yes as far as I can tell they do. Although the delay from pressing the bell to the Chime sounding and the notifications hitting our phone is <2 seconds in most cases. Would recommend the Chime if you are getting this.

Actually I have a spare one if anyone wants to buy it off me otherwise its going back to Ring. If you order a Ring Pro in the EU they give you a free chime. Didn't know this when I ordered the Ring Pro

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

Yeah that looks perfect.

Yes as far as I can tell they do. Although the delay from pressing the bell to the Chime sounding and the notifications hitting our phone is <2 seconds in most cases. Would recommend the Chime if you are getting this.

Actually I have a spare one if anyone wants to buy it off me otherwise its going back to Ring. If you order a Ring Pro in the EU they give you a free chime. Didn't know this when I ordered the Ring Pro

How do you order Ring Pro in EU? Cannot find link?
    Thanks.

How do you order Ring Pro in EU? Cannot find link?
    Thanks.
    I used the TunnelBear VPN to order it on the UK site in sterling to make sure I got the right transformer.
    But they ship worldwide from their US site too.

@corchdorca I ordered mine direct from Ring US. It came with a spare chime which has a Euro plug on it.

@benian I might be interested in the spare chime. My mother in law could do with an extra 'brrrring...' when the door goes. How much ya thinking?

By the way, earlier I saw this on the Ring US site...

"Ring Video Doorbell Pro when purchased in Europe, includes a 24VAC (volts alternating current) transformer in the box, that looks like this:"

on this page:
    https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000148786-Ring-Video-Doorbell-Pro-EU

Interesting eh?

@mikeyb yes that's what I have. I'd say if you got onto them they would send you one out for free. I was onto them today about the Ring Pro Wedge Kit so i can angle my camera down a bit and capture less of the sky.
    They are shipping it out to me free of charge. You can only order them if you live in the US, no idea why.

The chime cost £24.99 so lets say 30 quid? PM me if you are interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭yesap

Interested in the ring pro, OK with having to add a transformer to get over voltage issues but the website mentions losing use of existing chime in use and needing to plug in their chime.... Anyway around this as this might push me back to the standard Ring??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

yesap wrote: »
    Interested in the ring pro, OK with having to add a transformer to get over voltage issues but the website mentions losing use of existing chime in use and needing to plug in their chime.... Anyway around this as this might push me back to the standard Ring??

You can use an existing mechanical chime with the pro.

You can have their chime working with this at the same time if you wish. You decide during setup in the app which way you want.

Advertisement