Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Updated GRO

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I had known about that service but forgotten it. I will look into that. A little help goes a long way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

MYOB wrote: »
    Always worth putting them up here just in case someone has use for them: http://www.certificate-exchange.co.uk/

Perhaps there isn't the traffic to warrant it but does anyone think we should have a thread here for unwanted certs and stuff?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Hermy wrote: »
    Perhaps there isn't the traffic to warrant it but does anyone think we should have a thread here for unwanted certs and stuff?

I think that could be a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I can't see the harm - I have unwanted certs. And won't the thread show up on a search engine now? Posting each one with an image and short transcription should do the trick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Is the feedback tab not working either? Keeps sending me back to the 'fill out form' page without clarifying if it's a bloody captcha problem or something else :(

• Advertisement

Great idea, but my family don't want any of our info online so its going to be difficult for me and also for the UK site now I think of it. There could be a 'records wanted' thread so I could always pm anyone rather than publicly embarrass my family! :o

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Great idea, but my family don't want any of our info online so its going to be difficult for me and also for the UK site now I think of it. There could be a 'records wanted' thread so I could always pm anyone rather than publicly embarrass my family! :o

Well you might not be embarrassing your family if, lets say, your posting a cert or other record which was ordered in error and doesn't relate directly to your own kin. And I like the idea of a wanted/ offered type thread.

Anyone like to suggest a thread title?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think "certs ordered in error".

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I am collaborating with a distant cousin that I have yet to meet in person on one branch of my family history (I count 3rd cousin once removed as distant). We share copies of relevant and irrelevant certs as we sift through possibilities. I don't think such sharing is in any way improper.

The chances of making contact with people who have an interest in my small stock of irrelevant certs seem to me to be very small - so small that it does not seem to me to be worth setting up a clearing house.

Well you might not be embarrassing your family if, lets say, your posting a cert or other record which was ordered in error and doesn't relate directly to your own kin. And I like the idea of a wanted/ offered type thread.

Anyone like to suggest a thread title?

I get what you are saying, but however wrong the certs are, they would still have our surnames on them of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

What if there were two threads.

1. For people who just want to share the certs they have.

2. For people who wish to ask about certs.

It may seem more complicated but it might keep everyone happy to use the idea

Well I've made an attempt at the thread here. If anyone has any suggestions or a better way of doing it I can delete the thread and try again.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Been thinking over the 'certs wanted' part and wondered if that could become rather long as there could be hundreds of posts looking for certs. What do ye say?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Been thinking over the 'certs wanted' part and wondered if that could become rather long as there could be hundreds of posts looking for certs. What do ye say?

Agreed. Most threads are seeking a record of some sort so maybe that's already covered by the general posts and threads.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I notice the death cert index on Irishgenealogy.ie has entries with the age of the deceased - that's handy!

Mother's birth surname is good on baptisms, however I am sadly looking for the dad on one of mine so even when the mum looks right I have had to spend many shillings to find the wrong dads.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Jellybaby

Do you have any idea of the dads name?? Surname even??

No, but I am just guessing it is the family name but its really guesswork. I was hoping something would add up, but so far, nuthin'!

I take it you have a first name and a mothers name so?? Do you have a date of birth?

No date of birth, no mother's name, total guesswork on the dad's name. I have the child's name. Its a family mystery which none of my family knows the answer to.

• Advertisement

Oh Jellybaby it's one of those mysteries!!!!! Any luck with a baptism??? Maybe if you post a seperate thread with the info you might get some more help too.... Unless you've already done that too!!

Naw, can't post family info unfortunately. I will get to the bottom of it.....eventually!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Civil records down for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

server is up and running ok but URL gives a not found (404). Thought maybe the structure was tidied up, but the civil records option seems to missing from the homepage

Gone for me too! Wonder why it's suddenly gone...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

All I can spot is that the front page has been changed and the button to go to civil records removed. Doubt it'll be fixed this late on a Friday but lets hope so !

There is a message up now

Civil Records Search temporarily unavailable
    Further update will be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

dido2 wrote: »
    Gone for me too! Wonder why it's suddenly gone...

Hope its not down all weekend...funny how the tab has disappeared...hope its back soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I worry (but hope that its not accurate) that there's been complaints about it having precise dates to 2013.

Advertisement