Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here if you need assistance filling out the grant form!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

Once you have a P45 and a P21 for 2010 it should be fine I d say

Thanks for your reply... I hope so.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 neads90

Hi,

My boyfriend is applying as an independent mature student for 2011/2012.

Having some trouble with proof of address tho. I am aware that they accept:
    utility bills, bank statements or government letters.

Unfortunately he doesn't have any of these delivered to his address as the bills are in one of the other resident's name and his bank statements are delivered to his family home. He has been living independently at the same address for the past 2 years and I was just wondering if someone could give me some advice on how else he could prove this that would be acceptable for the grant application.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

neads90 wrote: »
    Hi,

Unfortunately he doesn't have any of these delivered to his address as the bills are in one of the other resident's name and his bank statements are delivered to his family home. He has been living independently at the same address for the past 2 years and I was just wondering if someone could give me some advice on how else he could prove this that would be acceptable for the grant application.

anything from prtb? tax related?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭daffodil14

Hi,

If he is renting perhaps a letter from the landlord stating how long he has lived there? or a copy of receipts from paying rent? or a copy of his lease?

Other than that the only thing I could think of would be a solicitors letter where he would basically sign a legal doc with the solicitor.

Ring the local VEC/Council and put suggestions to them if they have none themselves :rolleyes:

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

Hi,

Hey,

You don't actually have to prove your address.. you just have to prove that you've been living in Ireland for at least 3 of the past 5 years.

His address is kind of already proven if he is applying to the county council or VEC as he can only apply to a specific council or VEC if he has been living in that county/area.

I got a letter from my secondary school Principal to prove that I was attending that school for the past 6 years.. you don't need to prove your address, you just need to prove that you were resident in Ireland for at least 3 of the past 5 years:P So any documents that can prove that would be adequate whether they are from his home address or his present address.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 neads90

Thanks guys, he managed to get a copy of his lease from last year from the landlord so hopefully that works! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I'm a mature applicant who's just recently become independent for the purpose of applying. Have a few queries:

-Are transcripts from full time college courses enough to prove residency for 3 out of 5 years? That's not on the checklist and I don't have utility bills stretching back that far.
    -Also, I have a receipt for all my rent paid signed by my landlord, is that enough to prove independent living? If not how do you obtain from the PRTB a document proving your registration? I am registered with them but not sure how I prove that.
    -I've applied for several other sources of funding, it asks me to submit documentation. I won't know about those for a month at least though, what do I do?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    I'm a mature applicant who's just recently become independent for the purpose of applying. Have a few queries:

-Are transcripts from full time college courses enough to prove residency for 3 out of 5 years? That's not on the checklist and I don't have utility bills stretching back that far.
    -Also, I have a receipt for all my rent paid signed by my landlord, is that enough to prove independent living? If not how do you obtain from the PRTB a document proving your registration? I am registered with them but not sure how I prove that.
    -I've applied for several other sources of funding, it asks me to submit documentation. I won't know about those for a month at least though, what do I do?

Thanks!

Transcripts are definitely accepted. No idea about other points.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 atom2

Hi, I have two quick questions if anybody can help me. Im just wondering what do I put down as my CAO number? I have the renewal grant form so i didnt do my L.C last year. Also, do i need to send my results and an attendance form? It says in the notes of my renewal form that I dont need to but Im just making sure!!

Thanks!

LeixlipRed wrote: »

Thanks!
    For residency - do you have any tax forms, any bills at all

Ring PRTB and ask if they can send something?
    http://public.prtb.ie/contact.html

Mention the funding but say awaiting etc

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 setlikejelly

Hi everyone,
    This is my 1st time aplying for grant. I sent it in today and want to know when a decision will be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

quick question here

Im English but have been here for 7 years now.... is my birth cert enough (its obviously a UK one) or do I need my passport also/instead of. If the passport is needed do I need to get it stamped or will the passport itself be ok?

Documentary evidence for nationality
    We need documentary evidence as proof of nationality. The documentary evidence should
    include at least one or more of the following:

a long form Irish birth certificate if you were born on the island of Ireland before 1 January 2005;

a certified copy of your passport; (This is a document which has been stamped and signed as being a true copy of the original by a member of the Garda Síochána or a Commissioner of Oaths. The person certifying the copy must provide his or her name, address and telephone number.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eirampun

I did Irish Leaving Cert and an Irish degree several years ago
    Do I need to find my old CAO number? Applying through PAC

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭missmaw

Hi all,

I am applying as a mature dependent candidate. My father is self employed. Have his a/cs, notice of assessments etc. The guidance notes asks for set of a/c etc that end between Jan and Dec 2010. My Dad's tax year runs from 1st of Apr to 31st March of Following year.
    The thing is, there is a decrease of about 7 grand between his March 2010 and March 2011 accounts. Should I say in F16 that there has been a change in his income and supply the a/cs running from Apr 10 to March 11?? I think these set of a/cs are a better reflection of his earnings for 2010, but that's not up to me to decide :rolleyes:
    Also I have been on jobseekers for the last two months, should I also say there has been a change in my income and get a letter from SW???

Thanks again

Hi everyone,
    This is my 1st time aplying for grant. I sent it in today and want to know when a decision will be made.

Not sure - maybe september/october

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

missmaw wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am applying as a mature dependent candidate. My father is self employed. Have his a/cs, notice of assessments etc. The guidance notes asks for set of a/c etc that end between Jan and Dec 2010. My Dad's tax year runs from 1st of Apr to 31st March of Following year.
    The thing is, there is a decrease of about 7 grand between his March 2010 and March 2011 accounts. Should I say in F16 that there has been a change in his income and supply the a/cs running from Apr 10 to March 11?? I think these set of a/cs are a better reflection of his earnings for 2010, but that's not up to me to decide :rolleyes:
    Also I have been on jobseekers for the last two months, should I also say there has been a change in my income and get a letter from SW???

Thanks again

yes to both. thats very important info as they do assess a person on last year's income, but they also take into account this years due to change in circumstances. with high job loss / incomes falling, the change of circumstances is looked upon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 kate747

Will they send me some sort of confirmation or will I have to wait until they've made their decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Calleja

Hi, I've two questions about applying for the grant;

1. I'm almost finished an MA course that I didn't receive a grant for (I didn't apply) and am considering another MA. I know I'm not progressing to a different level but since I didn't receive the grant for the original MA, could I get it for the second?

2. If I were to do a phd and a year of that was abroad, would i get the grant for that year abroad, even if it wasn't a necessary part of the phd?

I've been checking the scheme outline for 2011 and i think the answer to my second question is no, not sure about the first. Thanks.

kate747 wrote: »
    Will they send me some sort of confirmation or will I have to wait until they've made their decision?

once your application is submitted they will review it in due time and respond back to you if they require more information or if its been accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

What is the case with me getting a grant while the parent i live with is co habiting with someone?
    On her own my mothers wages would allow me to qualify for a grant but will the 'partners' wages come into it?

• Advertisement

noah45 wrote: »
    What is the case with me getting a grant while the parent i live with is co habiting with someone?
    On her own my mothers wages would allow me to qualify for a grant but will the 'partners' wages come into it?

yes, the partners wages will come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

when will they generally pay the fees part of the grant and similarly when do they pay out the maintenance part of it?

Calleja wrote: »
    Hi, I've two questions about applying for the grant;

1. I'm almost finished an MA course that I didn't receive a grant for (I didn't apply) and am considering another MA. I know I'm not progressing to a different level but since I didn't receive the grant for the original MA, could I get it for the second?

2. If I were to do a phd and a year of that was abroad, would i get the grant for that year abroad, even if it wasn't a necessary part of the phd?

I've been checking the scheme outline for 2011 and i think the answer to my second question is no, not sure about the first. Thanks.

Im fairly certain the answer to q1 is no but I'll doublecheck it tomorrow

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

+1 to Mango Salsa.

I did a Level 8 degree in 2004 which I wasn't grant aided by nor did I apply for one at all, I then went back to do another Level 8 degree in 2009 and was told that as I was not progressing, even though I had never received a grant, I would not be eligible for a grant for my new degree. :( Unless the rules are different for Level 9's but I severly doubt it.

To your second point, no you would not be eligible for a grant for that year abroad if it was not a necessary part of the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Perplexed22

Im fairly certain the answer to q1 is no but I'll doublecheck it tomorrow

The answer is no - even if no grant was paid for the first MA you can't get funding for a second one.

With regard to a PhD year abroad - no funding is available for postgraduate courses outside of the Republic and Northern Ireland.

Unless your mother's partner is your legal guardian you are not obliged to put their details on the application form as they have no obligation to support you.

If you do, a letter from her partner confirming that there is no legal guardianship is generally acceptable instead of evidence of income.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JC2009

Hi everyone

Glad to see it's not just my brain melting from the application form, what a mare!!!! Anyhoo it will all be worth it in the end it's just getting the bloody thing finished! So my question is, I'm applying as a Mature Independent Candidate so would a P60 & P45 suffice for both myself & hubbie (also unemployed :-( ) or do I also need the P21 for 2010's income. Does P60 not give the same info (I've always thought one required a degree to understand a tax form tbh)??? I've been unemployed since last Oct so will qualify for BTEA so I'm only after the part of the grant that covers fees and Student Contribution so I assume given our financially fecked situation that I will qualify despite working up to start Oct 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

JC2009 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Glad to see it's not just my brain melting from the application form, what a mare!!!! Anyhoo it will all be worth it in the end it's just getting the bloody thing finished! So my question is, I'm applying as a Mature Independent Candidate so would a P60 & P45 suffice for both myself & hubbie (also unemployed :-( ) or do I also need the P21 for 2010's income. Does P60 not give the same info (I've always thought one required a degree to understand a tax form tbh)??? I've been unemployed since last Oct so will qualify for BTEA so I'm only after the part of the grant that covers fees and Student Contribution so I assume given our financially fecked situation that I will qualify despite working up to start Oct 2010.

Yes you would need a P21 for both you and your husband. This details total income for the previous tax year. So basically, its to ensure that you aren't sending in just one P60/P45 when you may have had multiple jobs in the year and only declaring for one. They're pretty easy to get, you can apply online via the PAYE anytime system if you have it set up or ring your local tax office and they will be able to send you it.

Hope that makes sense. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Unless your mother's partner is your legal guardian you are not obliged to put their details on the application form as they have no obligation to support you.

If you do, a letter from her partner confirming that there is no legal guardianship is generally acceptable instead of evidence of income.

I understand what you are saying, but will my mother not have to send in a bank statement with the grant form? and this will show her partners name on the account=so thay will know that he exists.

He has no obligation to me at all so it would seem unfair if I lost the grant due to his presence.

Anyone know?

• Advertisement

I understand what you are saying, but will my mother not have to send in a bank statement with the grant form? and this will show her partners name on the account=so thay will know that he exists.

He has no obligation to me at all so it would seem unfair if I lost the grant due to his presence.

Anyone know?

There is no reason why your mother needs to send in a bank statement with your application. It is you, not your mother, that has to prove residency. If you decide to send one anyway just include a covering letter confirming that her partner is not your legal guardian and that should be acceptable.

You have to prove residency for three of the past five years. If you've just done your leaving cert send in your junior cert results too. If you've been working send p60's for three of the past five years or proof of claiming social welfare if you've been unemployed. If you've been in other education send results or a letter from your school.

Hope this helps :)

Advertisement