Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off The Ball Official Thread <Mod Note - Post #1, #533, #6651>

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,576 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I wonder would Second Captains have been approached/considered for this given their origins and their experience with RTE 2.
    The time frame sounds like something they were looking for (at least the start element) at the time of the great fall out.

Pretty sure the evening hours were one of the reasons Ken in particular wanted a change.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Don't think RTE could afford them.

They've 11522 patreons at 5euro a month so are taking in just under 700K from that alone.

Where do we stand on Johnny Ward. I think I've had just about enough of him at this stage.

Prone to making some exaggerated statements - Connolly will definitely start in Georgia etc - and then backing down, but overall he's very likeable and a breath of fresh air on the show. Genuine Irish football and LOI fan, knows his GAA and is considered an oracle by many racing fans so I think he's been a huge addition. He also makes me laugh as he's clearly as daft as a brush and a good character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Can't make it to the Rugby roadshow next Tuesday anymore unfortunately so have 2 tickets going if anyone's interested? €20 ono, PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Can't make it to the Rugby roadshow next Tuesday anymore unfortunately so have 2 tickets going if anyone's interested? €20 ono, PM me

Do we get our money back if it is cancelled due to a typhoon?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ciara Mageean excellent this morning on OTB AM again. Fast becoming one of my favourite Irish sports stars to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Prone to making some exaggerated statements - Connolly will definitely start in Georgia etc - and then backing down, but overall he's very likeable and a breath of fresh air on the show. Genuine Irish football and LOI fan, knows his GAA and is considered an oracle by many racing fans so I think he's been a huge addition. He also makes me laugh as he's clearly as daft as a brush and a good character.

I agree, I'm always happy to hear him on, has a good way about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Huge Johnny Ward fan here. He's knowledgeable and a keen sports fan. He's a great man for a story.

Remember hearing some of the lads tell a story that they were out on the town one night. They grabbed a taxi to get home. Anyway, turns out the taxi driver was from somewhere like Azerbaijan or somewhere mad like that. Anyway, it turned out the Johnny was able to sing the national anthem of whatever country the man was from. Apparently he can recite a load of national anthems in their native language.

He was talking to Nathan earlier this week and he said that he had a terrible experience the first time he went to an Irish away match. Wales away, Nathan asked was it when we lost and Johnny said No, when we won 1-0, that we played such dire football, he wanted to cry.

If he ever had ended up in front of Martin O'Neil with a microphone, Martin would have been begging for Tony O'Donohue before long.

Huge Johnny Ward fan here. He's knowledgeable and a keen sports fan. He's a great man for a story.

Remember hearing some of the lads tell a story that they were out on the town one night. They grabbed a taxi to get home. Anyway, turns out the taxi driver was from somewhere like Azerbaijan or somewhere mad like that. Anyway, it turned out the Johnny was able to sing the national anthem of whatever country the man was from. Apparently he can recite a load of national anthems in their native language.

I worked with Johnny years ago and his party piece is that he can whistle pretty much every national anthem going. Always does it to taxi drivers and always gets a great response. As I said earlier, he's as daft as a brush but a great character.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That was an excellent documentary on the 1996 All-Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭gluppers

I worked with Johnny years ago and his party piece is that he can whistle pretty much every national anthem going. Always does it to taxi drivers and always gets a great response. As I said earlier, he's as daft as a brush but a great character.

He's the soundtrack of many a gambler losing their weekly wage at a bookies

A problem gambling enabler

gluppers wrote: »

Do you think all gambling companies should be shut down? Or if not, that all gambling advertisements and sponsorship should be banned?
    Do you think that every off license and bar should be shut and all production and sales of alcohol be made illegal?

Because, if the answer is no to any of the above, then your statement is incorrect.

If the answer, is Yes, you are entitled to that view but I think it would be excessive to curtail activities which the majority of people enjoy without issue in order to protect what is a minority by a significant margin.

Care to elaborate? Because of his tipping columns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

He's the soundtrack of many a gambler losing their weekly wage at a bookies. A problem gambling enabler

I wonder was it Kilbane that got him into it with all those sensationalist ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Care to elaborate? Because of his tipping columns?
    I love Johnny and I sing his praises regularly, but an absolutely cat tipster.

I love Johnny and I sing his praises regularly, but an absolutely cat tipster.

Be that as it may, laying the blame for problem gambling at his feet is a bit rich. I have no time for gambling but surely the problem with gambling is not about the individuals but the industry overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

It's the OTB Junior B team on tonight in case anybody is thinking of tuning in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone get that Kilbane/Delboy/chandelier reference?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

First time listening to the show in a while -

That Johnny Ward guy sounds like a transition year version of Joe Molloy. Didn't think he was particularly great to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Arghus wrote: »
    First time listening to the show in a while -

That Johnny Ward guy sounds like a transition year version of Joe Molloy. Didn't think he was particularly great to be honest.

I think he works better as a colour contributer and wasnt great in the hotseat.

Interview with Ryhs Mcglenahan was poor and led up to it by saying anyone with an interest in athletics should listen despite the fact Rhys is a world class gymnast. (I know athlete can be a catch all term for a sportsperson but I think he just messed up to be honest)

Went off on one about the World Championships in Doha despite the fact the other lads were talking about the Olympics in Tokyo at the time

deisedude wrote: »
    I think he works better as a colour contributer and wasnt great in the hotseat.

Interview with Ryhs Mcglenahan was poor and led up to it by saying anyone with an interest in athletics should listen despite the fact Rhys is a world class gymnast. (I know athlete can be a catch all term for a sportsperson but I think he just messed up to be honest)

Went off on one about the World Championships in Doha despite the fact the other lads were talking about the Olympics in Tokyo at the time

I didn't hear this particular show but think I did hear him before in the hot seat and agree he is currently better as a contributor.

Time I heard him, thought he was somewhat nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

This is class, Gilroy down to a tee.

Some of Eoin Sheehans videos from Japan are excellent.

Enjoyed this one.

https://twitter.com/EoinSheahan/status/1184897402131451904?s=19

Wrong thread, probably, but is anyone else getting this when they click on some boards threads? (attachment)

It's only happening to me on the Radio Forum but maybe its just a problem on my side

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Wrong thread, probably, but is anyone else getting this when they click on some boards threads? (attachment)

It's only happening to me on the Radio Forum but maybe its just a problem on my side

I’m getting that sometimes or else nothing happens when I click in to followed threads on my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Some of Eoin Sheehans videos from Japan are excellent.

Yeah in fairness to Eoin, I've been critical in the past, but he's doing well over there. Contrast how he's embraced the Japanese Rugby World Cup / fans / culture as opposed to Joe Molloy's "I'm a PPI winning sports journalist, get me out of here" approach to the Brazil Soccer World Cup!

Yeah in fairness to Eoin, I've been critical in the past, but he's doing well over there. Contrast how he's embraced the Japanese Rugby World Cup / fans / culture as opposed to Joe Molloy's "I'm a PPI winning sports journalist, get me out of here" approach to the Brazil Soccer World Cup!

Not sure Joe had won the PPI when he was in Brazil. Think he won it first a few months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,691 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The OTB crew didnt hold back in their criticism of Joe Schmidt and the rugby team today. In contrast to other sports shows and other media outlets, they called it as they saw it in fairness. Heard it from 3 to 3.30 and it was actually a really good half hour, with the lads shooting from the hip, a bit of craic with Eoin Sheehan and a few texters having a go back at them for having the temerity to criticise.

They also start a new feature tomorrow with a look back on Ken Dohertys World Championship win which I am sad to say is 22 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Seems like Joe Molloy hasn't been on in ages? Is he away?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement