Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DAB Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

anyone getting the freeDAB stations on DAB and not DAB+ , my car cant see the mux but doesn't do DAB+

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Franko87

All our services are dab plus dab only radios can only see the multiplex but cant decoded. It .

Is a Roberts Stream 93i capable of receiving DAB+?

Yes it is fm dab and dab plus .

Franko87 wrote: »
    Yes it is fm dab and dab plus .

That’s great! Looking forward to your Sligo service, any idea when it will be on?

• Advertisement

Sligo has been set back due to some technical issue I will inform you when it will be launched

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lovenova

Infoanon wrote: »
    So in summary DAB in Ireland is in limbo - RTE have no money,Independent sector has no interest and the regulator has made trialing DAB difficult and getting a content licence nee on impossible for new entrants.

Independent sector have less than zero or at least some of them . One senior figure in independent sector told me it would be brought in over their dead body .
    In some sense it’s been past by internet . For example all Irish stations are on Radioplayer and internationally there are lots of good free apps out there

Lovenova wrote: »
    Independent sector have less than zero or at least some of them . One senior figure in independent sector told me it would be brought in over their dead body .
    In some sense it’s been past by internet . For example all Irish stations are on Radioplayer and internationally there are lots of good free apps out there

It is bizarre how comreg have allocated band 3 (ex analog tv band ) for dab and yet no one uses it .And anyone who has the interested is just told NO!! .IMO if the band is allocated for the use of digital radio and there is no structure in place to permit it unless you have (A) deep pockets (B) u know someone who can pull strings for you. So with that been said the only option left is pirate !! yes its illegal and so on . but when the relevant bodies can seem to give a care about it . what alternatives are left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Is the Dublin FreeDAB multiplex still on the air? Haven't been able to receive it over the past few days.

Is the Dublin FreeDAB multiplex still on the air? Haven't been able to receive it over the past few days.
    Hi yes it has been moved to block 5a .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Is the freedab service still on in Cork? Was in the city yesterday and nothing stopped on a Dab or Dab+ scan. I was getting the usual RTE stuff, I was in blackpool shopping centre car park & Little Island industrial estate.
    I was wondering the same thing. When it was on low-power and testing, you'd pick it up in Little Island but it was more reliable as you got closer to the Dunkettle Interchange.
    Hi Keith it seems you might have issues with your antenna on your dab radio . I was in water grass hill yesterday and it was booming in .And at home.?
    Since it moved I've not been able to pick it up anywhere along the N25/N40 where I used to get it strongly.

I must pop down again and do some testing, see where I can/can't pick it up on my car's radio (and yes it supports DAB+).
    Independent sector have less than zero or at least some of them . One senior figure in independent sector told me it would be brought in over their dead body.
    This has been said for years now.

The Independent Broadcasters do not want it, I believe at best they see it as a waste of money and at worst they see it as added competition; they are quite happy with the status quo.

Unfortunately the Broadcasting Act places responsibility for licencing DAB on the BAI who are funded by the broadcasters.
    Internet streaming does provide choice, and the ubiquity of smartphones and in-car bluetooth (or AUX Jack) makes it easy but there are enough blackspots along driving routes to interrupt your playback.

The Radioplayer App deserves a special mention, it might be because it it's a collaboration between RTE and the IBI, but, only RTE and the IBI stations are on it so it misses quite a lot of Irish stations, including half of the broadcasters in the Dublin area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Is NRG still on DAB? Its webstream on liveradio.ie has been replaced by that of a station from Kenya of the same name

Is NRG still on DAB? Its webstream on liveradio.ie has been replaced by that of a station from Kenya of the same name

No nrg is not online. We are currently in the process of redoing the whole station .

Is there any update on Sligo Freedab, is it likely to be days or weeks away?

zorro2566 wrote: »

Sligo has been posponed due to a site issue .

zorro2566 wrote: »

Aw thats a pity,was hoping to get some use out of my DAB set! Hopefully in the future maybe!:(

Sligo limerick and galway are on the The table for 2020 .as we rely on the funding of ours services only to implement the rollout .I will form this thread when this will happen .

That's great,at least its not completely off the table then!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭LiveRadio.ie

No nrg is not online. We are currently in the process of redoing the whole station .

Hi Francis,

Let us know once NRG is back online. We are more than happy to list your radio station on our platform.

Warmest Regards,
    LiveRadio.ie Team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

Zenith Classic Rock seems to be gone from the Dublin FreeDAB again. Shame, one of the best rock stations out there.

DublinKev wrote: »
    Zenith Classic Rock seems to be gone from the Dublin FreeDAB again. Shame, one of the best rock stations out there.

Zenith is a great station. The reason for this is all our services are contributing to the runing costs of Freedab ONLY .carrying free services is just not viable. As equipment and sites cost money we forward this the stations evenly and this keep everything on air and allso helps with the rollout of new multiplexes. However if and when zenith decide that it is commercially viable thay can rejoin at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

What is required to propagate the DAB+ signal?

Mearings wrote: »

What is required to propagate the DAB+ signal?

That depends on location hight above sea level and external antenna and propagation conditions . From what I can ascertain you are located in sligo and the chances of you receiving long distance (dx) multiplexes would be remote at best .

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DublinKev

Zenith is a great station. The reason for this is all our services are contributing to the runing costs of Freedab ONLY .carrying free services is just not viable. As equipment and sites cost money we forward this the stations evenly and this keep everything on air and allso helps with the rollout of new multiplexes. However if and when zenith decide that it is commercially viable thay can rejoin at any time.

Someone must have found a few bob, Zenith is back on in Dublin. Good news.

DublinKev wrote: »
    Someone must have found a few bob, Zenith is back on in Dublin. Good news.

Yes Kevin zenith have agreed to rejoin us. There a fantastic station carrying a great format and the station itself is tightly put together .freedab is proud of the services it now Carrys as it's the type you will not get on FM. This is what dab should be utilised for as the bai account holders are happy on fm and have zero intrest In implementing the digital era so the best solution is utilise dab for small scale stations to use and if thos stations want to apply for an fm licence then thay have grounds to do so .further more freedab is non profit meaning .all the proceeds go to site costs and expansion. We do not or want to make money. We are more than happy to just cover runing costs as expected in runing the service .until comreg and the bai decide it is time to implement a more realistic strategy in licenceing dab and its contents then our goal will remain unchanged .

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

WLR/fm Waterford is on DAB

SBPhoto wrote: »
    WLR/fm Waterford is on DAB

On what multiplex.and where ? If so this is one station out of hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Was in Dundalk last weekend and Free dab NE+ NI came up on the display .The list of station s was very similar to Dublin , Only exception was retro now as phever where on the Dundalk service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

The Free-DAB NE & NI are obviously still on test - sometimes the output is EXACTLY the same as Dublin and indeed Cork as I verified last Monday myself. But most of the time it's slightly different with the local NE based stations having more bandwidth allocated.
    This is what is available today. Signal is quite poor in some areas

NRG Radio Cork - 96k
    NINETIES - 96k
    Trance Pulse - 64k
    Trax - 72k
    Atlantis - 48k
    Zenith Rock - 48k
    Spektrum Radio - 64k
    Telstar 80s - 128k
    Coast FM - 96k
    Storm North East - 128k
    Soul City - 64k