Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alternative career options

• 10-10-2019 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi, for various reasons I think I want to change careers. I am into my 6th year and next summer I will be facing the same old waiting around for interviews etc. I also am in a tough school subbing and I think the behaviour (tough schools for past 3 years) has finally broken me. My mental health isn’t standing up to it and I’m ready to go.

My subjects are English and history and I’m based in the west and not willing to relocate. Even this summer there were few and far between jobs in my subjects.

So, can anyone offer good alternatives for a career with my subjects? I’d love to do corporate training or work for a non profit educating others in some way but I have no idea where to start or how to get into this industry. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Two things.

Get some good paid for career advice look for recommendations.

Volunteer with a mantal health charity or similar and that might lead to work in an NGO sector although you may need to do some sort of post-grad asa well.

Passively sitting back and thinking thing will come never works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Seasonal work as a tour guide is an option, just to keep you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Also find someone doing the job you would like to get and aks them how they got the job what qualification they have ect.

Advertisement