Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dry drunk syndrome?

• 05-08-2019 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

My bf is going through this or is heading that way. Exhausted, easily bored, restless, not working any programme, very moody, intolerant etc. Has anyone gone through this and if so are there any ways I can help him, I know he has to do it himself but I'd advise he goes to his doctor again he's not made an appointment. I'm not trying to nag him in fact I couldn't put up with the moods, never making proper time for us etc. So left him to his own devices for a good week, it's not made a difference so leaving it be now. He can contact me if he decides to help himself. Am I doing the right thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

What you're describing could be caused by depression or hormonal issues so a visit to his GP would make a lot of sense. If he's not willing to take ownership of his own health then you can't change that. I feel that was very much a necessity for me after I stopped drinking and I've a great relationship with my current GP of several years.

I find "dry drunk" quite a loaded term so it may be worth avoiding using it with him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

ciotog wrote: »
    What you're describing could be caused by depression or hormonal issues so a visit to his GP would make a lot of sense. If he's not willing to take ownership of his own health then you can't change that. I feel that was very much a necessity for me after I stopped drinking and I've a great relationship with my current GP of several years.

I find "dry drunk" quite a loaded term so it may be worth avoiding using it with him

Yeh I was thinking it will just sound like I'm trying to diagnose him too. His GP is great, and he usually feels a lot better after having a chat with her. But he's using excuses not to go it's so frustrating. I mean if he had an on going headache or something he'd go. Mind you he actually does so that's another reason he should go, he's taking far too many neurofen too. His headaches seem to be down to muscle tension..which he won't have worked on either. I know I can't force him and I sound like a parrot all the time asking him to go. So I guess I've to leave it and try not to worry about him. When I was going through a tough time recently first think he barked at me was to go see the doc and I did, he's great at dishing out advise but not taking it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

My bf is going through this or is heading that way. Exhausted, easily bored, restless, not working any programme, very moody, intolerant etc. Has anyone gone through this and if so are there any ways I can help him, I know he has to do it himself but I'd advise he goes to his doctor again he's not made an appointment. I'm not trying to nag him in fact I couldn't put up with the moods, never making proper time for us etc. So left him to his own devices for a good week, it's not made a difference so leaving it be now. He can contact me if he decides to help himself. Am I doing the right thing?

It's been suggested in the past, but Al-Anon is there for people going through a lot of what you talk about here. They have their own programme, and many have found it life-changing. It also seems to help a lot of AA's be able to breathe as feeling under constant surveillance isn't ideal conditions for most of our kind.
    Sorry to be so blunt , and this is just my take on the situation, but it's my honest take ;)

Wish you the best, truth is he is lucky to have someone who cares deeply about him although he may not quite see it that way at present.

Good luck: http://www.al-anon-ireland.org/meetings/

Lots of talks/meetings/forms online too, best to surf around and find yer own way if so inclined.

Advertisement