Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Concerned about price of engineering inspection.

Options
  • 23-07-2019 6:42pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, just want to get some feedback about the cost of the engineering inspection as we move towards buying a house. 3-bed semi with a garage attached to side.

We are going with a recommendation from two friends as the engineer is very thorough. The cost is 600 plus VAT. It’s a 4-5 hour inspection on a house built in mid-60s. We are happy to pay this as any issues will be more likely to be identified.

Today we found out our solicitor is asking that the engineer fill out a Planning and Development Search form which requires a visit to the Planning office.

I’m being told that this will be approx 4 hours work which is 500 plus VAT.

So we are looking at about 1400.

Does this seem odd to anyone? That’s way more than any estimate I have read when reading the guides on buying a house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Is there any reason why your solicitor suggests this form? He might have seen something on the plans where he wants to make sure that planning is correct, otherwise it could lead to issues down the line.

Finalising our purchase was delayed because our solicitor wanted to rule out a planning issue but this involved an exemption therefore no trip to the planning office was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all, just want to get some feedback about the cost of the engineering inspection as we move towards buying a house. 3-bed semi with a garage attached to side.

We are going with a recommendation from two friends as the engineer is very thorough. The cost is 600 plus VAT. It’s a 4-5 hour inspection on a house built in mid-60s. We are happy to pay this as any issues will be more likely to be identified.

Today we found out our solicitor is asking that the engineer fill out a Planning and Development Search form which requires a visit to the Planning office.

I’m being told that this will be approx 4 hours work which is 500 plus VAT.

So we are looking at about 1400.

Does this seem odd to anyone? That’s way more than any estimate I have read when reading the guides on buying a house.

Technically since the new contract for sale 2019 came out planning searches should be carried out. It usually is if the solicitor has any queries on planning. Planning came into affect in 1964 so it could be they want to ensure the house is pre planning if it was around the time planning came. I presume you have received contracts? Have you received any planning documents or cert of compliance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

600 plus VAT is a bit pricey but it sounds like you may be getting a bit more than the standard survey. It might be worth it given the age of the house.

I am assuming a "Planning and Development" search is just a normal planning search. This just checks that there are no new developments approved that are likely to materially affect you (e.g. There is already an approved compulsory order to buy your front garden with a motorway to be built through it).

You don't need an engineer for this and can do it yourself easily enough. All approved planning application are online or you can pop down the planning office and discuss it with them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

dubrov wrote: »
    600 plus VAT is a bit pricey but it sounds like you may be getting a bit more than the standard survey. It might be worth it given the age of the house.

I am assuming a "Planning and Development" search is just a normal planning search. This just checks that there are no new developments approved that are likely to materially affect you (e.g. There is already an approved compulsory order to buy your front garden with a motorway to be built through it).

You don't need an engineer for this and can do it yourself easily enough. All approved planning application are online or you can pop down the planning office and discuss it with them.

I’m happy enough with the 600 for initial survey but the extra is a kick in the teeth. I’ll ring the planning office tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

I don’t think the solicitor needs a planning search about further developments in the area. You can do a specific planning search against the house to check what specific planning has been applied for, if any, for that house. I think that’s why it’s pricey. Especially with older houses - the council had the time may have amalgamated with other councils or change over time ie Cork Corporation is now Cork City, it can be more time consuming to follow the planning for that house.

It’s fair enough to ask solicitor why they need this exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’m happy enough with the 600 for initial survey but the extra is a kick in the teeth. I’ll ring the planning office tomorrow.

The Planning Office won’t advise on the cost of the planning search. The fee is for the time spent going through the files and issuing a cert to say all is in order.

Technically the planning search is free but you have to pay a reasonable fee to copy any documents.

The thing that has me stumped here, is that your survey will pick up on any extensions or alterations. This will be highlighted to you which in turn you highlight to the vendor who arranged for the certs of compliance. I don’t understand why you as the buyer is doing this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

kceire wrote: »
    The Planning Office won’t advise on the cost of the planning search. The fee is for the time spent going through the files and issuing a cert to say all is in order.

Technically the planning search is free but you have to pay a reasonable fee to copy any documents.

The thing that has me stumped here, is that your survey will pick up on any extensions or alterations. This will be highlighted to you which in turn you highlight to the vendor who arranged for the certs of compliance. I don’t understand why you as the buyer is doing this.

I’ve highlighted to them there is a small concrete shed at the back of the property and I think that’s causing some concern.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’ve highlighted to them there is a small concrete shed at the back of the property and I think that’s causing some concern.

Get the vendor to confirm its planning compliance.

Advertisement