Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using shipping containers as a home

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

it's not made from shipping containers I know, but any opinions on the Barnhaus?
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/grand-designs-style-house-costs-just-7945802

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭laurenhiggins

I have seen this done in the states and some of them have looked amazing... I have thought about doing it myself but getting the time is my problem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

it's not made from shipping containers I know, but any opinions on the Barnhaus?
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/grand-designs-style-house-costs-just-7945802

That's kind of cool . I remember kingspan winning a similar competition in London for an urban house design a few years back . Dunno if it came to much .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

What does the 40 odd grand sterling pay for ? I'd imagine site works, sewerage, water and electricity costs could add a fair bit .. And does that include kitchen and bathroom fittings ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

scroll down for full costs breakdown..... http://www.nacsba.org.uk/images/shoestring/18_shoestring13_ed-green.pdf

and here's cheapest entry at £24k.... http://www.nacsba.org.uk/images/shoestring/38_shoestring13_ian-k-whittaker.pdf
    (OP, on the face of it this design seems like it might lend itself well to being constructed from shipping containers but the architect hasn't gone for this option.)

* these designs are for self build

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 bob90909

cjw2014 wrote: »
    Hey guys I am new to this forum so go gentle with me and I am not sure if this is the right part of boards to post in but here goes. Does anyone know of any examples of shipping containers being converted into a home in Ireland??? Looking to speak see if anyone has done it and see if they encountered any problems with planning or meeting the building regulations.

Cheers:)

How did you get on with this. Did you go ahead?
    did you see this late last year? http:// www. thejournal.ie/shipping-container-home-house-project-weekend-1808597-Dec2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭marcusluck

Ive been thinking of getting a container to put on .72 ac of land out west of Ireland
    I found this container made in china delivered for 35k that was in $ .

whats the pros and cons of buying something like this

Thanks

www.megeshelters.com/En/productview.aspx?tid=209&sid=0&id=75

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

certainly look well, but is this our trailer park moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

It shouldn't be. I first heard about these close to ten years ago so not some panic thing to do because of the housing crisis.

They should be an alternative if done correctly but you will probably have done people looking down on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

theres actually been very little stopping us from building whats actually been needed for years now, the will just wasnt there, primary parties are starting to panic now, but i suspect its too late for them now, id say they ll be destroyed in the next ge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Those ones linked above look shite imo, these have been done since well before this thread ever started and some look really well but they're usually clad in cedar or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

No mention of “Building Regs” in that article I notice - I’d be very surprised if they are compliant?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cdemess

People will buy and put them on their land to use as rentals. Not pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

Reasonably priced for what you get, I reckon this couple are gonna be busy

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cdemess

The Indo wouldn’t know what that is, it’s most probably a paid article. (That did a similar article on granny flats and it was woeful).

But someone needs to sign off on the works, so there needs to be compliance, whether it’s planning. Regs etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

We had trailer parks in the late 60s/early 70s housing crisis. So we've had that moment before; this crisis may yet deliver it again.

That era delivered everything from well organised sites where every trailer had proper mains services, to prefabs dropped up the median of the few dual carriageways Dublin had at the time with no services at all.

There is no way a container home can meet building regs cheaply (if at all); and containers are not particularly cheap these days due to the general global shortage in any net exporting nation - which we are. I'd question if you could ever get planning permission.

This is from a Mediahuis regional paper, not the main Indo so will have even lower editorial standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There's free plans to download

Google Irish vernacular 20k plans a few years ago an architect built a house using basic materials cost 20k. This does not include the cost of buying a site , eg it costs 5k just to connect to esb network

The file gives the cost of all the materials used eg windows walls floors

Eg 20k self build eg he built it himself so cost of labour is not included in 20k

I think this is cheaper than using containers

See YouTube. Com grand designs container house built in Ireland holes were cut out for windows cables etc it took a crane to move the containers

It does not look cheap. So 20k is the cost of all the materials windows doors walls simple layout 1 bathroom 1 bedroom living room, kitchen

Post edited by riclad on

See YouTube China Expandable container house, one container expands into one house it just came up in my YouTube list I did not search for it prebuilt house made from 1 container folds out on 2 sides to provide large house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Give this guy a ring.

Hes in Northern Ireland, but seems to know how to do them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN1QxOBf-UM

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I know someone who bought a 20ft and put it down the end of his garden and converted it to a home office during the pandemic. He got the container for free, currently though there is a shortage of containers and I'd say you wouldn't see much change out of 8-10k for a 40ft in new to good condition.

There a long video on YouTube grand designs container home 40 minutes he used 3 containers to make a large house the first clip is just a revisit to the house I think just a wood frame small house build would be cheaper than buying a container and transporting it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

i think post 82, is a short video, revisiting the home made of 3 containers . if i find the full video i,ll post it here

100k house made of containers .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prj1Mu2gUqU

see here container home https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7mhy7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl9FE3iyTKU home built from 1 container, it says the plans will be released to the public ,built by a housing charity

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

You could pump 80k into a container house and it might be OK and liveable but you have to remember, it is not going to have an 80k re-sale value. Not a hope in hell. No bank will lend for something like this, so it isn't really sellable. And anyone with 80k lying around is just going to buy a proper house.

So whatever you spend on it is largely money down the drain in the longer run. At least if you spend 250k on a house, it is still worth that and probably significantly more a few years down the line if you go on to sell it again.

Remember too, ESB and IW connections will cost well into the thousands too, and that is if they even agree to connect up to a maverick setup of shipping containers at all. they might flat out refuse, and then where are you?

Moving a container on a one-off basis costs about €1,500. And that is if you can even get a haulier who will do it. Most are busy with their bread and butter work and don't want to be bothered with small time mickey mouse stuff.

Planning and building regs - well, you have to comply with both. There is no specific requriements pertaining to containers, or any other particular type of construction. They are general in nature and set out the performance needs.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

A mate of mines mother has sold the home place and has bought a garden room for e70k and is putting it in her daughters garden in a one off house in the country side. She'll have 200k+ left over for retirement.

It's nicely finished n kitted out but wouldn't have the footprint of a 40' container. It's all timber, I wouldn't be liking to be putting lifting chains on it 20years later compared to the container.

I'd be buying the containers linked above way before the garden room.

Advertisement