Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronic Tinnitus what masking device?

• 21-08-2019 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

Folks,

My right ear has absolutely chronic Tinnitus and hearing loss.

I've been to two ENTs and was a waste of time.

Nothing visible from scan and was fobbed off stating learn to live with it.

I'm cracking up I'm willing to pay any money for a hearing device or masking devices

Can some please advise me I'm absolutely desperate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Hey there. Sorry to hear about your tinnitus issues. I can't help with masking devices I'm afraid.

However, I've had tinnitus now for nearly 25 years. Every so often it has flared up and I think 'how the hell will I adjust to this?' I hear it over the tv, I hear it outside over street sounds, I hear it all the time.

Then, almost without noticing it, I adjust. For the last few years I NEVER notice it. It's still there if I listen for it, but my brain is doing a good job of filtering it out. Yours will eventually do the same I'm sure.

A masking device could be great for distracting your brain in the short term. But you will eventually adapt. Just try your best to ignore it. I know that's easier said than done. Just think of all the people who live near busy roads and never notice the traffic noise. Or who live near train lines and soon stop hearing the trains passing.

Best of luck with it.

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Folks,

I'm cracking up I'm willing to pay any money for a hearing device or masking devices

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, I am afraid the answer has to be - ignore it. The more you try to ignore it, the more stressed you get about it the louder it gets. I too have both hearing loss and tinnitus - not helped by fairly useless hearing aids that are going to be changed soon - but I mostly only 'hear' it when it is mentioned, like now for example. Sometimes I can hear it and its messing up what I am actually trying to listen to, but again my brain gets distracted and I forget about it, it doesn't go away, as bogmanfan says, its like getting used to passing traffic. Some quiet would be lovely, but no point fretting about it, it isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Folks,

How are things for you now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

There is not a lot I can say to help the OP sorry to say. I use 2 hearing aids for nearly 40 years now and have become accustomed to tinnitus. Its mostly at night I have to issue.
    As a few more say you may well have to live with it.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

The high pitched ringing in my ears (increasing intensity the past year) has been driving me mad the past fortnite. Tried listening to one of those Tinnitus Music Therapy vids with music, tinnitus tones (beeping at each other) and the sound of rain... Irritating to listen to, and only worked for about 5 minutes afterward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

Deja Boo wrote: »
    The high pitched ringing in my ears (increasing intensity the past year) has been driving me mad the past fortnite. Tried listening to one of those Tinnitus Music Therapy vids with music, tinnitus tones (beeping at each other) and the sound of rain... Irritating to listen to, and only worked for about 5 minutes afterward.

When I listen to the tinnitus examples on this youtube video my mild tinnitus disapears for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Thanks transylman, will give it a go directly.

Advertisement