Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Substantial increase in Management fees - no explanation

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

gebbel wrote: »
    All legal outlay in the pursuit of non payers should be attributed to them, not the OMC. This policy can also be an effective disincentive to those who for whatever reason decide they can just walk away from paying their fees without consequence.

That would be nice wouldn't it. You can't get blood from a stone however, and we have had issues where a unit eventually accrued more fees than the unit itself was worth.

Extremely painful from a legal perspective.

It remains vacant, unoccupied, and falls into ruin, decreasing the value of surrounding units. The owners won't bother going to the effort of selling it, because the whole value is owed to either of both the bank AND the OMC. It's immoral from my perspective, especially when there are people crying out for housing, but this is what some people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

gebbel wrote: »
    All legal outlay in the pursuit of non payers should be attributed to them, not the OMC. This policy can also be an effective disincentive to those who for whatever reason decide they can just walk away from paying their fees without consequence.

Firstly, if the owner can’t/won’t pay, what use is attributing costs to them? Secondly, solicitors want to be paid, they will not wait 5 years for the property to be sold so they can get their money. Multiply those costs by a few errant owners, then every else pays a levy for the folly of court action.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 A City rising

Apologies for bringing back a zombie thread but just wanted to ask people for their opinions.

TLDR. Am I allowed attend an AGM for a management company if I'm not an owner.

My mother owns an apartment in Dublin. The minutes from the last AGM (December 2022 ) state their would be no increase in fees.

The fees fall due in October 2023 and 2 weeks ago letter stated they need to increase by 20%. They have also introduced a late fee if not paid on time.

She wants to attend but doesn't want to cause a fuss and would like if I spoke on her behalf.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

IIRC she can appoint anyone to be her proxy, she just needs to fill in the proxy form that came with the letter for the AGM.

Have you read the minutes of the last AGM as that will have where they agreed to the 20% increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 A City rising

Thanks that makes sense.

I read the minutes from the AGM in December 2022 which said

"Management fees were agreed to be held at the same level as previous year."

1 thing that may ( or may not) be unusual is that the AGMs are in December and the fees are then due in October

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The AGMs can be at any time during the year, as can the date set by the OMC for fees payment. It’s possible the increase relates to the sinking fund if there was an unexpected large outlay during the year. Your mother can write to the Board or managing agent requesting clarification. Or ask her neighbours if they know anything about it. It won’t be anything nefarious as all expenses will have to be explained at the next AGM, and there is a legal obligation to pay the fees set by the OMC.

Advertisement