Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrong rent on new lease

• 14-02-2020 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

So the apartment I'm in for the last 2 years was 800 per month,hap covered 700 and I paid 100 top up myself as it was over the limit for my area

I got a new agreement in November gone and the new rent was 700 so I no longer had to fork out 100 per month,great !

But 2 Weeks ago the property agency emailed me saying the new rent was a mistake at 700 pm and it should be 800 please back date arrears of 300 euro and sign new lease,I refused to sign it and she escalated it to the rtb

Today I had a mediation call with an rtb agent and we came up with an agreement that I sign a new lease from march of 800 and all arrears are wiped clean,he says it is in their favour since there was no rent review and I could be made back date if it went to a tribunal or they could argue I'm in arrears and have me out I'm 14 days

Am I right signing it and move on or play hardball and say tough it's a new contract signed sorry? I have a 10 day cooking off period

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

markc2951 wrote: »
    So the apartment I'm in for the last 2 years was 800 per month,hap covered 700 and I paid 100 top up myself as it was over the limit for my area

I got a new agreement in November gone and the new rent was 700 so I no longer had to fork out 100 per month,great !

But 2 Weeks ago the property agency emailed me saying the new rent was a mistake at 700 pm and it should be 800 please back date arrears of 300 euro and sign new lease,I refused to sign it and she escalated it to the rtb

Today I had a mediation call with an rtb agent and we came up with an agreement that I sign a new lease from march of 800 and all arrears are wiped clean,he says it is in their favour since there was no rent review and I could be made back date if it went to a tribunal or they could argue I'm in arrears and have me out I'm 14 days

Am I right signing it and move on or play hardball and say tough it's a new contract signed sorry? I have a 10 day cooking off period

Did you inform LA of new rent so they could adjust their payment if necessary? If you go against RTB advice, where will that leave you in any future dispute?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Have you considered that pissing off your current HAP taking landlord might not be the best idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

Dav010 wrote: »
    Did you inform LA of new rent so they could adjust their payment if necessary? If you go against RTB advice, where will that leave you in any future dispute?
    Yes they are aware of the situation,if I dont agree it leaves the option to take it further

Have you considered that pissing off your current HAP taking landlord might not be the best idea?
    Chinese owners ran by a letting agent who have over charged in the past and are making blunders regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

markc2951 wrote: »
    Yes they are aware of the situation,if I dont agree it leaves the option to take it further

You have been advised by the authority on tenancy disputes of the best course of action, do you think they will later overrule the advice they gave to you if this goes to an adjudication? Sometimes you have to help yourself, the LL didn’t increase rent, you are €300 up if you take their advice, it would be idiotic not to take this as a gift as no notice of a rent review was given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Property agents making blunders is nothing new. Do not expect any professionalism from them and you won't be disappointed

The RTB gave you advice and if you want to take it further to a hearing they will not go against their own advice

Go with the advice OP

I will be going with the advice given from the rtb thanks for the input folks

Advertisement