Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mortgage Broker Recommendation

Options
  • 27-12-2019 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

Would anybody be able to recommend a mortgage broker who could help with getting a 4.5x exemption?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Sono

You don’t need a broker. Contact the bank yourself and see what they will give you, if your credit history is good and savings are decent you will have a good chance, a broker will not increase the chances of this happening, the decision lies with the underwriters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Sono wrote: »
    You don’t need a broker. Contact the bank yourself and see what they will give you, if your credit history is good and savings are decent you will have a good chance, a broker will not increase the chances of this happening, the decision lies with the underwriters.

This isn't the best advice, some providers like Haven only deal with brokers and have better rates. A broker will tell you who they deal with so check out the ones they dont for interest rates and then compare. Also check for potential costs and penalties with a broker should you decide to switch within a certain period of time, usually 3 years

Edit: What part of the country are you in? Might help with recommendations

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Recommendations by PM only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

duffman13 wrote: »
    This isn't the best advice, some providers like Haven only deal with brokers and have better rates. A broker will tell you who they deal with so check out the ones they dont for interest rates and then compare. Also check for potential costs and penalties with a broker should you decide to switch within a certain period of time, usually 3 years

Pretty much as said. I used a broker for an exemption. It wasn’t a case that my chances were higher with a broker or that I had a complicated case. I applied in October/November and straight away broker was able to say what banks had exemptions left and which rates were better (some banks like Ulster Bank can charge you a slightly higher rate if getting an exemption) so saved me time.

Haven are the broker branch of AIB. BOI isn’t available through brokers - they are doing a pilot scheme with a few brokers but assume your broker isn’t one of them. I think all the banks pay the same rate to broker. Check the claw back situation (usually if you switch mortgage within 3 years, bank can claw back fee from broker who can claw back from you as part of terms and conditions) and some brokers will charge a fee if you don’t draw down a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Dolbhad wrote: »
    BOI isn’t available through brokers - they are doing a pilot scheme with a few brokers but assume your broker isn’t one of them

Yes they are, I got my mortgage through a broker with BOI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Yes they are, I got my mortgage through a broker with BOI.

As I said also in my comment - BOI are new to the broker market (having left in recession) so are slowing coming back to the market and appear to be working on a phased basis. I wouldn’t assume all brokers have access to BOI yet esp if your not in Dublin. So always worth specifically asking broker if they check BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gormo187

duffman13 wrote: »

I'm based in Dublin, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Can someone provide me with a decent mortgage broker? I’m based in the D15 area.
    Also if anyone knows any free ones that would be great as well.

Advertisement