Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aritech CS350 Alarm - Low Battery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,637 ✭✭✭✭altor

Eglinton wrote: »
    What I would like to know is:
    1) Why is there a battery in the first place when I presume it's also mainsconnected? Back-up?

The back up battery is there to keep the alarm powered in the event the mains is off.
    2) How long will the battery last from when the low battery message appears?

The battery is no good any more once this appears. If the electricity was off and this appeared then you would need a good 12 hours charge on the battery for the fault to disappear.

3) Will the alarm go off when the battery eventually dies?

In your case if the light has being on a few days then the battery is already dead. If you where to have a power cut while you have this fault on the alarm, then the electricity comes back on the alarm will activate.
    I know nothing about alarms and actually really hate the things but I don't want to have to call the landlord sometime in the middle of the night and be driving my neighbours nuts sometime in the future if it goes off.

Thanks.

If the power does go the external bell outside will activate till it runs out of power as the back up battery in the alarm will hold off the bell ringing in the event of a power cut. You need to get your landlord to get the battery replaced to prevent this from happening.

Hope this helps..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

+1 to everything Altor said above.
    Another important point to note is this: Leaving a low battery in the panel will eventually bring the panel down. The battery will draw more & more power from the panel. This results in a voltage drop to the powered devices & may result in an activation & the keypad becoming unresponsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

agree with altor and koolkid
    make sure battery is replaced asap,the panel will go blank and sounders will activate ,probably at the most inconvenient time and you will be unable to stop them ringing as you have no code and the panel will be blank.get your landlord to call alarm company out and re commission your system as its no use the way it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

altor wrote: »
    The back up battery is there to keep the alarm powered in the event the mains is off.

The battery is no good any more once this appears. If the electricity was off and this appeared then you would need a good 12 hours charge on the battery for the fault to disappear.

In your case if the light has being on a few days then the battery is already dead. If you where to have a power cut while you have this fault on the alarm, then the electricity comes back on the alarm will activate.

If the power does go the external bell outside will activate till it runs out of power as the back up battery in the alarm will hold off the bell ringing in the event of a power cut. You need to get your landlord to get the battery replaced to prevent this from happening.

Hope this helps..
    koolkid wrote: »
    Another important point to note is this: Leaving a low battery in the panel will eventually bring the panel down. The battery will draw more & more power from the panel. This results in a voltage drop to the powered devices & may result in an activation & the keypad becoming unresponsive.
    meercat wrote: »
    agree with altor and koolkid
    make sure battery is replaced asap,the panel will go blank and sounders will activate ,probably at the most inconvenient time and you will be unable to stop them ringing as you have no code and the panel will be blank.get your landlord to call alarm company out and re commission your system as its no use the way it is

Thanks guys. Plenty of great advice. Battery has been replaced and code sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dinefwr

The manual can be downloaded online from http://ukpanels.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Thanks guys. Plenty of great advice. Battery has been replaced and code sorted.

I have the same message, any idea how much it cost to replace?

Is it an easy job that I could do myself?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A battery will cost between €10- €20 from any wholesalers.
    Going to retailers expect to pay upto €40
    Alarms company's will charge anywhere between €60 - €120 for a call out & service.
    Replaceing the battery is eay enough, but only procede if you are comfortable doing it.

To Replace Aritech CS350 Battery
    • Turn off the mains power from the fuseboard.
    • Remove the lid of the main control panel by removing the 2 screws located at the left & right hand side.
    • Disconnect the 2 leads from the battery.
    • Connect the leads to the new battery observing to polarity. Red > Red (+) Black to Black or Blue (-)
    • Replace the lid & screw closed.
    • Reapply the mains power at the fuse board.

Note when you remove the mains power & battery the external siren will sound. After you reapply the power disarming with your code will silence all bells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Thanks koolkid for the detailed reply.

I might have a go at it during the week!

Your welcome.
    Any problems give me a shout.

branners69 wrote: »
    Thanks koolkid for the detailed reply.

I might have a go at it during the week!

+ 1 to what koolkid said, just to add the replacement battery needed for the CS350 is a 12 volt 2.8 Ah battery. It will take a couple of minutes for the low battery message to go once you install the new one.

Any problems, let us know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Raphfrk

Hi BostonB,
    If the panel is eng locked, it can be unlocked by replacing the chip in the panel. What this does is bring the panel back to factory settings allowing a new customer and eng code to be set up on the system plus it allows the reprogramming of the system.
    Hope this helps..

How does that work? Do you order a new chip online?

I tried resetting the alarm by removing JP1 but it didn't seem to reset. I guess it is engineering locked. I only left it off for a few seconds with the battery removed as the main alarm went off, due to no power. Do you need to leave it off for 20-30 seconds?

Btw, I assume that alarm companies don't give out the engineering code over the phone? Is there any way to get them to give you the code without having to pay for a call-out. Also, if I did pay for a call out, do they provide the code then?

Raphfrk wrote: »
    How does that work? Do you order a new chip online?

I tried resetting the alarm by removing JP1 but it didn't seem to reset. I guess it is engineering locked. I only left it off for a few seconds with the battery removed as the main alarm went off, due to no power. Do you need to leave it off for 20-30 seconds?

Btw, I assume that alarm companies don't give out the engineering code over the phone? Is there any way to get them to give you the code without having to pay for a call-out. Also, if I did pay for a call out, do they provide the code then?

Hi Raphfrk.

If you tried defaulting the alarm using the JP1 and that did not work then the alarm is engineer locked. You could ring the company and ask for the code. If they do have to come out you could get them to enter a code that suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Hi. I have an Aritech cs350 alarm with a low battery warning. I never use the alarm and actually don't want to use it. The alarm has gone off intermittently over the last few months. Never at a good time. Not that there is one I suppose.
    I would love to have it totally disabled. i have the code but the panel never seems to register it when it does go off. I am really not technically minded for this kind of stuff. So the question is how easy is it to totally disable the whole thing, and also if I was to get somebody to call out to do it, how much do you reckon it may cost?

Thanks in advance...

Why someone would have an alarm & rather disable it these days, I will never understand.
    If you want to disable it procede as follows.
    • Isloate the mains power at the fuse board
    • Open the main control panel by removing the 2 screws , centre left & right.
    • Remove the main fuse located at the top left where the mains is wired in.
    • The battery is located at the bottom of the panel , remove the red & black cables from the battery terminals.
    When you do this the keypad display will be blank & the out side bill will sound. Close up the panel & turn on the trip switch again. The outside bell will stop after 20-30 minutes.

If you were to get this repaired a service & battery will cost between €90-€120 + maybe €25 for any sensors or contacts that may need to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

Koolkid is spot on but my advice is not to disable alarm as this might invalidate your insurance if their is ever a claim. You should get it fixed as koolkid says

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Why someone would have an alarm & rather disable it these days, I will never understand.
    If you want to disable it procede as follows.
    • Isloate the mains power at the fuse board
    • Open the main control panel by removing the 2 screws , centre left & right.
    • Remove the main fuse located at the top left where the mains is wired in.
    • The battery is located at the bottom of the panel , remove the red & black cables from the battery terminals.
    When you do this the keypad display will be blank & the out side bill will sound. Close up the panel & turn on the trip switch again. The outside bell will stop after 20-30 minutes.

If you were to get this repaired a service & battery will cost between €90-€120 + maybe €25 for any sensors or contacts that may need to be replaced.

Thanks for the help Koolkid. I know I should get it repaired but I hate alarms with a passion. Probably an alarm related childhood trauma:). Anyway I really appreciate the help. Think I'll disable it myself (when the neighbours are out!). Will the alarm sound too as soon as I remove the panel?

Thanks again.

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTE72

Unfortunately this has happened to my alarm. The low battery alarm was on for a few days then I got an intermittent alarm. I have now disconnected the terminal from the battery but my display panel is also dead. If I replace the battery will the alarm system function normally?
    Thanks

BTE72 wrote: »
    Unfortunately this has happened to my alarm. The low battery alarm was on for a few days then I got an intermittent alarm. I have now disconnected the terminal from the battery but my display panel is also dead. If I replace the battery will the alarm system function normally?
    Thanks

When you say the display, do you mean the keypad is gone blank ?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTE72

When you say the display, do you mean the keypad is gone blank ?

Yes the display panel is blank.

I disconnected the power to the panel as i couldn't stop the bell sounding.

Tks,

• Advertisement

You need to check the mains fuse. Also check the output of the mains power supply. It should be around 18vac.

BTE72 wrote: »
    Yes the display panel is blank.

I disconnected the power to the panel as i couldn't stop the bell sounding.

Tks,

Yes, replacing the battery plus mains power will bring it back on. Just enter your code to disarm the bells ringing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Basil Faulty

i have recently replaced my battery as it had gone dead. however, the keypad is still blank and when i remove the cover only 1 of the 5 green LEDS is illuminated.
    any ideas how this can be resolved?

What panel is it?

sorry ,forgot to include that . its an Aritech cs350

Are you referring to the back light LEDs between the buttons?
    Is there anything displayed on the screen?
    I Would try powering the system down .Remove the mains power and the battery.
    Power up on mains only and see if the keypad comes on.If that works then connect the new battery.

Perfect, worked a treat. Thanks alot.
    i was quoted €100 for a guy to come out to repair it.

All it took was:

1. Remove old battery
    2. Remove mains fuse
    3. Insert mains fuse
    4. Insert new battery
    5. Clear alarm by entering password

Glad you got sorted. If you need anything else you know where to come?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

Hi All

I've ran into an issue with my Aritech alarm aswell. The house alarm keeps going off and showing 'Fuse' on the handset box. I'm not sure of the model but looking at the manuals the handset appears to match a CH3008 I think. I've no idea where the fuse would be, theres a box under the stairs, another box in the attic and the handset.........

Any help appreciated

• Advertisement

The fuses are located in the main control panel.
    It looks like this.
    130953.jpg

The diagram below shows the fuse, their locations & their ratings.

130954.jpg

You will need to remove the fuses 1 by 1 and check which one is blown.
    Replace with one of the same rating.
    If it blows a new fuse we will need to look deeper.

Advertisement