Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

connecting laptop to tv to watch netflix

Options
  • 18-11-2012 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

ive a Toshiba Satellite Pro C660-1LR Notebook which has a vga port.i want to connect it to a samsung lcd tv. it has a hdmiin3, av in svideo, red white and yellow for video and l and r audio. i dont have any cables at the moment so wondering which cables to get to do this, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

vga will only extend the laptop monitor ie graphics no sound. Can use the laptop speakers or extend them to external ones via the headphone jack (or usb if they're usb powered speakers). Sorry your tv doesn't have a vga port on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭smallgarden

my tv doesnt have vga port, is there a solution then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You're best off getting a laptop that has HDMI, it's standard on all laptops now

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You're best off getting a laptop that has HDMI, it's standard on all laptops now

thats not really an option,ive an ipad 2 if thatd be easier to connect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

thats not really an option,ive an ipad 2 if thatd be easier to connect?

Think again, you've more chance of connecting your hover than an apple device

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

What do you want you to do on the TV. Play films through it, stream sports or use Netflix etc?

Just seen you wanted it for Netflix.

Your laptop wont connect to the TV. Here's a few alternatives.
    If you have an XBOX 360 or PS3 or access to one Netflix is now available on them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B005NYOKC2/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1353279641&sr=1-1

or a cheaper one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JUSTOP-Streamer-Internet-Play---Great-Watching/dp/B006O8O2ME/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1353279969&sr=1-2

i have a wii ;) so close and yet so far. if i get one of those boxes is that all i need to play anything from laptop,like netflix, 4od etcbon tv.does tv need to be smart tv or does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ok does you laptop have an S video port as well as the VGA port?

http://m.techradar.com/news/television/how-do-i-connect-my-laptop-to-my-tv-902693

You will need two cables, one for the S video and one for the audio !

Ed

i have a wii ;) so close and yet so far. if i get one of those boxes is that all i need to play anything from laptop,like netflix, 4od etcbon tv.does tv need to be smart tv or does it matter?

Its available on the Wii as well OP :)

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/netflix.jsp

If you decide for a box, no your tv wouldn't have to be a smart tv. The smart TVs have them type of boxes built into em

• Advertisement

areyawell wrote: »
    Its available on the Wii as well OP :)

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/netflix.jsp

If you decide for a box, no your tv wouldn't have to be a smart tv. The smart TVs have them type of boxes built into em

how do i get it to work through wii? havent used wii in ages,must see if i can connect it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

how do i get it to work through wii? havent used wii in ages,must see if i can connect it

We use our wii for watching netflix... just buy the netflixs channel in the nintendo shop (go to the nintendo shop on your wii - the netflix channel is free by the way) it takes a couple of mins to download and it appears on your main start page as a channel. Just go in, enter your logon details password etc. and happy days... breaking bad never looked so good then on a full tv screen! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Sadly, the wii is only SD if that is going to bother you.

degsie wrote: »
    Sadly, the wii is only SD if that is going to bother you.

not quite sure what sd is for it to bother me.if its standard digital rather than hd thats fine. i wouldnt mind watching tv programmes from online on tv too,like 40d or wordlinks etc. are the media streamers the best for that. on a seperate note thought about buying a monitor to hook up to laptop as a seperate idea altogether

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

anyone tried something similar to above.it looks like a good solution alright

anyone tried something similar to above.it looks like a good solution alright

I used something similiar in the late nineties, did the trick.

Advertisement