Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New businesses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

The weather plays a big part in this as well on Sunday it pissed rain all day for the chip/sweet van convention same with the dancing at rockys/ bosh/ Coxs or what ever it's called.
    If it's a fine day people will wander up for a look but not a chance would u go near any of this in the rain or if u have a young famaily.

Has any one seen the phone repair shop that went in to bolands I'd say there will be planes from knock landing on Main Street with all the bright LEDs lights on the windows

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I see according to RTE the new multi denominational school due to open next month, has now been pushed back till next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Xenji wrote: »
    I was not complaining, just making a comparison to the town.

I agree with your points, but I do not see it happening, if we were ever going to be near an even footing with Westport surely it would of happened by now.

I also do not get why people should be told to go and attend something they do not want to go to just because your meant to be supporting your town, maybe people are just not interested in what is being put on.

Ya, I know what you mean. this topic is very frustrating at times, Don't think anyone should be told to do anything, I just feel that people need to show up to these events to give a bit of support to those who are at least trying something. it encourages and helps these events grow in to something that may be of more interest to you in future. its about supporting each others attempts and hopefully being successful as a whole, eventually

naughto wrote: »
    The weather plays a big part in this as well on Sunday it pissed rain all day for the chip/sweet van convention same with the dancing at rockys/ bosh/ Coxs or what ever it's called.
    If it's a fine day people will wander up for a look but not a chance would u go near any of this in the rain or if u have a young famaily.

Has any one seen the phone repair shop that went in to bolands I'd say there will be planes from knock landing on Main Street with all the bright LEDs lights on the windows

It's like Las Vegas down there now!

Some work going on in the 'Pantry' unit. anyone know what is going in? another eatery I presume

• Advertisement

I have heard talk this week that the old Barracks in Castlebar is being put into operation again as a potential destination for refugees coming into the country.

I have heard talk this week that the old Barracks in Castlebar is being put into operation again as a potential destination for refugees coming into the country.

Doubt it, it needs a lot of money spent on it and the council don't have it. it would be nice to see it put to some use rather than just sitting there crumbling.

There going to be placed some where in Castlebar with kenny saying he would take them in himself I feel that will come back to bit him in the ass come election time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Doubt it, it needs a lot of money spent on it and the council don't have it. it would be nice to see it put to some use rather than just sitting there crumbling.

When did the council buy it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Presuming nothing has happened with OpenSparkz and Northgate

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »

The silence says it all.

irishgeo wrote: »
    When did the council buy it?

Couple of years ago now I think

any..... minute......now......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Piece in Mayo News about closure of Western Pride bakery. About 60 jobs gone in Ballinrobe.

Complaints expressed by workers of lack of information.

We hear about task forces etc in these cases. Surely one of the state agencies should have set up a temporary office in Ballinrobe to liaise with the employers, receivers, workers etc, and to ensure that the appropriate civil servants are available to advise the workers on their options.

From reading the Mayo News article there seems to be a dearth of relevant useful information. As we all know there is little or no alternative employment in Ballinrobe

I remember when Westport Textiles burned down in 1969, putting 200 men out of work. I recall the Urban Council, immediately calling a meeting of all relevant organisations under the chairmanship of the late Seán Staunton. I recall Seán and that committee daily pushing a programme to replace the factory and meanwhile source jobs. The town did recover. I hope Ballinrobe can be likewise helped.

Every reasonably sized town should have an organisation similar to the recently abolished Town Councils. Inter alia a TC would provide leadership and a platform for action in civic emergencies such as this

With 4000 being taking in I'd say the barracks could be used even thought it's in a bad state and would take a lot of money to do it up

IDA complex has gotten the go ahead in Castlebar It is due to commence construction next month and be ready n 12 months or so. hopefully there will be something lined up to take it over. We don't need another shiny empty building.

With 4000 being taking in I'd say the barracks could be used even thought it's in a bad state and would take a lot of money to do it up
    if it's an excuse to put some money into the place and help some people out as well then I am all for it.

IDA complex has gotten the go ahead in Castlebar It is due to commence construction next month and be ready n 12 months or so. hopefully there will be something lined up to take it over. We don't need another shiny empty building.

Surely something will come in.
    Everything is in place now fibre broadband , some office space and a good workforce.

Northgate might want to expand in to it.

Surely something will come in.
    Everything is in place now fibre broadband , some office space and a good workforce.

Northgate might want to expand in to it.

Has Northgate started production?

nuac wrote: »
    Has Northgate started production?

Noone's got a clue. Did the radio mast go up?

• Advertisement

• IDA complex has gotten the go ahead in Castlebar It is due to commence construction next month and be ready n 12 months or so. hopefully there will be something lined up to take it over. We don't need another shiny empty building.

To put that into perspective Shannon free zone alone has just got 21 million to expand factories down there so there will be lots of competition. You can bet Noonan will have those filled years before Kenny does anything for Castlebar.

'The long grass' restaurant opening on shambles street Castlebar

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

'The long grass' restaurant opening on shambles street Castlebar

And how did u manage to see it if its in the long grass?

And how did u manage to see it if its in the long grass?

That's where I have been patiently waiting for Enda. :p

That's where I have been patiently waiting for Enda. :p

U and the whole county!!!

Hard to believe we are sitting hear still and not a right jobs announcement between then since they took power. Yet we hear daily announcements around the country.
    The 2 white elephants in Opensparks and Northgate are pure embarrassment.

U and the whole county!!!

Hard to believe we are sitting hear still and not a right jobs announcement between then since they took power. Yet we hear daily announcements around the country.
    The 2 white elephants in Opensparks and Northgate are pure embarrassment.

And of course cloudstrong unless jobbridge inters count,as jobs these days.

And of course cloudstrong unless jobbridge inters count,as jobs these days.

There going to run out of job bridge inters the way there going. Heard one intern had to train up the one that was taking it's job

There going to run out of job bridge inters the way there going. Heard one intern had to train up the one that was taking it's job

Wow, thats nuts stuff. And that was a big announcement. Embarrassing.

Castlebar really seems to not like the local music in the town, walked past the live and loud event in Hobans carpark earlier and only a handful of people were at it, the Heart Of Castlebar festival on main street was supposed to have similar issues, there were more people queuing for the bus over to Westport.

Also add Seetec to a company advertising quite a few jobs in town and people hearing nothing back from them, when they do enquire they are getting the whole it will be next year line.

• Advertisement

I don't have any detail about any of the firms mentioned. However firms start up in all sorts of ways. Some fail, some grow to be very big.

I recall when Allergan started in Westport about 40 years ago. Started with 25 jobs, making what Allergan called "aquas eye solutions". When it was realised that that meant eye-drops many thought that it would never be a big employer.

Over the years, through good innovative local management and staff, it has won the manufacture of many lines from the parent company. Now about 900 workers there supply Botox for everywhere outside the Americas, along with other products

Then there are all those stories about companies such as Apple starting in a garage.

So, be patient guys. One of the projects mentioned for Castlebar may in time be the next Allergan or Apple

Advertisement