Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Are these legal?

2»

Comments

I make my own charcoal for my BBQ from waste/fallen branches 1"-3" in diameter using a small modified steel barrel. I'm just waiting for the day when some dickhead jobsworth comes out and accuses me of burning rubbish. :D

Ohh, interesting .
    any more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Ohh, interesting .
    any more info?
    I cut the top off the barrel leaving a ledge of about 20mm all around. I then drilled a series of 30mm holes around the bottom of the barrel and four more in the base. It's a simple process, the hardest part is to get the initial burn right. Put some newspaper and kindling in the bottom of the barrel, make sure you have the paper poking out through several of the holes for easy lighting. Fill barrel with branches about the same diameter and light. Now the tricky part. When you have a good fire going pile up earth around the holes and put lid on barrel with earth around the edges. The purpose of the earth is to shut off the oxygen supply. If you close it off too early you end up with timber charred on the outside and solid in the middle. Close it off too late you end up with a pile of ash. Get it right and you have good chemical free sustainable sourced charcoal. I tried to upload photos but kept getting a message saying the file is too large.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,999 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Surely it's not waste if you're making something with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭ Bodie Flaky Confetti

Legal to sell or own. Illegal to burn waste in, including garden waste. You can very reported to the council and penalised for both pollution and for disturbing your neighbors.

Advertisement