Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best vampire movies

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Interview with the vampire?

Loved the books and thought the movie was decent even with its flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Keyzer wrote: »

I often wondered why the sequels were never made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

duploelabs wrote: »

They did make Queen of the Damned. I never watched it myself but it didn't do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Bram Stoker's Dracula and Interview with the Vampire for the classic vampire thing.

Stakeland for its post-apocalyptic grittiness.

Thirty Days of Night which is an interesting idea and an enjoyable, well-paced watch, as long as you don't think too hard about the premise.

I am Legend was pretty good too, I thought, although maybe that doesn't count (I'm the creatures were vampires in the novel, though).

I also enjoyed Let Me In. The Swedish version is on my to-watch list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

They made a shockingly bad sequel which jumped one (or more of the books) - shame really as they could have been amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

The Blade trilogy was entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

2smiggy wrote: »
    Let the right one in. Swedish film. Young lonely boy befriends his new neighbour, a 'young' girl. Excellent film. Was remade in the US as Let me in. Not a bad film either

Not a huge vampire fan but this is my top pick as well. Such a gorgeous, richly textured film.

Daybreakers is decent and often overlooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Effects wrote: »
    Lost_Boys_8x10_2_300x300.jpg?v=1513264673

Im going to a horror convention in Manchester in October and there is a Lost Boys reunion on as part of it, even Kiefer is attending for a couple of hours on the sunday. The guy in the photo is appearing too and playing the song live.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭brevity

Dracula Untold is worth a watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Let the Right One In is a fascinating beast, because depending on who you talk to, it's a dark & bittersweet love story, OR a dark story of a child being groomed. Never saw the American remake but the Swedish version was certainly a eerily beautiful piece of Nordic cinema.

Have a soft spot for 30 Days of Night (alongside a soft spot for "Base under siege" stories), a surprisingly original take on the vampire mythos, insofar as it felt like the first to run with the obvious setting + story beats that'd fall out from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

No mention of 'From Dusk Till Dawn'? For shame.

A film of 2 halves, and with such an excellent swerve midway, that it totally took us by surprise when we watched it as young lads.
    The TV series adaptation is surprisingly watchable also (season 1, anyway).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

No mention of 'From Dusk Till Dawn'? For shame.
    Mentioned at least twice. Including in the OP!

Definite film of two halves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Dades wrote: »
    Mentioned at least twice. Including in the OP!

Definite film of two halves.

That's because apparently Tarrantino wrote and directed the first half and Rodriguez the second

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭brevity

pixelburp wrote: »

Have a soft spot for 30 Days of Night (alongside a soft spot for "Base under siege" stories), a surprisingly original take on the vampire mythos, insofar as it felt like the first to run with the obvious setting + story beats that'd fall out from it.

The vampires looked evil and were evil bastards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Saturday night live did a p!ss take of this with John Hamm.
    The Curse of Segio
    https://youtu.be/ZNno63ZO2Lw

That is hilarious.... thanks for posting....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Keyzer wrote: »

Anne Rice and her son are hoping to do the series right as a tv show on Hulu, but it seems to be a slow moving project.

Can't really add to what's been mentioned already, other than I would suggest Van Helsing the TV series if you were looking for a Vampire fix. Can be frustrating but its stripped back budget actually works well with the genre at times. Has to focus on horror over style which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

storker wrote: »
    I also enjoyed Let Me In. The Swedish version is on my to-watch list.

They are pretty much different films. The American one doesn't really pick up on any of the underlying themes that made the original so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

Are you seeking a vampire film directed by Werner Herzog and starring Klaus Kinski and Bruno Ganz? Well then check out "Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht" or "Nosferatu the Vampyre", a stylistic remake of the 1922 Nosferatu. Kinski was born to be a vampire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosferatu_the_Vampyre

In a similar vein check out "Shadow of the Vampire" which is a fictionalised account of the filming of Nosferatu where Count Orlock was actually a vampire played by Willem Dafoe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_of_the_Vampire

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

pixelburp wrote: »
    Let the Right One In is a fascinating beast, because depending on who you talk to, it's a dark & bittersweet love story, OR a dark story of a child being groomed. Never saw the American remake but the Swedish version was certainly a eerily beautiful piece of Nordic cinema.

While I'm firmly in the bittersweet love story camp, I think the ambiguity is part of its brilliance, something the remake and even the novel lack. Even the title is ambiguous. Is it a reference to Eli who must let the right one in on her secret, or to Oskar who invites a vampire of all people into his life? I guess it's a bit of both.

The American remake isn't bad by any means but it falls far short of the original which is a truly great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Too late to mention the Twi****t saga? :)

In fairness, without it there'd be no True Blood, no Vampire Diaries, no Midnight Texas... (depending on what you think of those shows).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

True Blood was before Twilight.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Too late to mention the Twi****t saga? :)

In fairness, without it there'd be no True Blood, no Vampire Diaries, no Midnight Texas... (depending on what you think of those shows).

I don't think I've yet seen anyone argue that the Twilight films (or books) are in any way a high point of vampire fiction in recent times. The same is true for True Blood, for that matter.

Though if we're veering into tv show territory, I'd say that Aidan Turner's role as "Mitchell" in the original BBC version of Being Human was particularly good, and the friendship that develops between him and George was fleshed out very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

I watched about 5 minutes of Twilight and it was bad!!
    brevity wrote: »
    The vampires looked evil and were evil bastards too.

I don't mind those types of vampire films but I much prefer ones where you see it from the side of the vampire rather than a one dimensional evil character.

Like with Interview with the Vampire - they all hated being vampires! Louis didn't want to feed on people, Claudia was angry and frustrated as a child with the mind of a woman and Lestat was bored out of his mind. Also he was bitter too because when he 'made' Louis he said he was going to respect him and give him a choice as he didn't have the choice when he was made. I think those kind of vampire films are much more interesting.

Advertisement