Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

wild flowers

• 09-07-2019 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭eeinke

Any suggestions for wild flowers to grow now for Autumn bloom?
    One section of my garden is been uprooted for a new sceptic tank so I need to grow something suitable on this ground that doesnt have big roots. I was thinking of wild flowers for the bees....any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭eeinke

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Bees.
    Gives the season along right-hand side.

• Subscribers Posts: 683 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

This is a nice guide for pollinators showing what blooms when, organised by season and also by annual / perennial / shrub / tree etc (list from pg.4 on).

http://www.biodiversityireland.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Pollinator-friendly-planting-code-temporary-draft.pdf

I would have thought it's too late in the year to be sowing seeds for this season though no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

A bit late yes but they'll be someway established for early growth next year.
    This year has been a bumper growth year though so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

auspicious wrote: »
    A bit late yes but they'll be someway established for early growth next year.
    This year has been a bumper growth year though so far.

Utterly awesome and amazing. New varieties emerging day by day here.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Poppies will always grow on disturbed ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Poppies will always grow on disturbed ground.

Now that is something I have never seen here; poppies. I am seeking to conserve the real native flowers so am loath to buy in seeds.

• Subscribers Posts: 683 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Graces7 wrote: »
    Now that is something I have never seen here; poppies. I am seeking to conserve the real native flowers so am loath to buy in seeds.

And yet don't mind planting masses of an invasive species such as montbretia?

I saw some yesterday, somewhere near Ashbourne. You'll find them where ground has been disturbed ; where the verges and ditches have been dug up during roadwork, building sites, battlefields etc.

• Advertisement

I have revisited your post and am wondering are you actually in Ireland?
    I have seen plentiful poppies in every part of the country, going back 60+ years. I have always considered them to be a native flower of the British Isles and indeed all of the temperate region of Europe.
    They are to be seen in many spots on the roadsides of Fingal and east Meath right now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,920 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from wikipedia, on the corn (aka remembrance) poppy:

"P. rhoeas is a temperate native with a very wide distribution area, from Africa to temperate and tropical Asia and Europe."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papaver_rhoeas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Rosa Fluffy Earring

I have seen plentiful poppies in every part of the country, going back 60+ years. I have always considered them to be a native flower of the British Isles and indeed all of the temperate region of Europe.
    They are to be seen in many spots on the roadsides of Fingal and east Meath right now.

Poppy is as native as they come. It's classification in Ireland is widespread but local. It favours arable and disturbed land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I've lived in Mayo, Tipperary and Cork and have never noticed poppies growing wild. Although I did see a huge amount of them recently on a mound around a retention pond as you come off the motorway at Dunshaughlin. Maybe they're more common on the east coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

MacDanger wrote: »
    I've lived in Mayo, Tipperary and Cork and have never noticed poppies growing wild. Although I did see a huge amount of them recently on a mound around a retention pond as you come off the motorway at Dunshaughlin. Maybe they're more common on the east coast?

Neither have I seen them around Kerry but I saw spectacular field of them in the midlands around 20 years ago so might depend on the soil/weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

MacDanger wrote: »

There are fields of them around clonmel...sure isnt there an area called the poppy fields....also a few around cahir...

Frogeye

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Apparently they are an introduced species (from Britain) - but fairly long ago. They are common enough in various places around the country.

Ah, this might account for different experiences of whether they grow here https://bsbi.org/maps?taxonid=2cd4p9h.yzc

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

I ordered some Irish wildflowers there today , is it too late to plant? they are the seed bomb where basically it is a ball of seed. Will they last til next year if planted now?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Think of it as if they were doing what comes naturally - they make seed pods and scatter the seed around now or over the next two or three weeks, so you can do the same thing. This applies to any local, annual flowers.

sheesh wrote: »
    Neither have I seen them around Kerry but I saw spectacular field of them in the midlands around 20 years ago so might depend on the soil/weather conditions.
    Perhaps they don't thrive in areas where there is strong on-shore movement of maritime air masses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement