Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭freewheeler

Yeah looks like Whitebeam (Sorbus aria)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What is this?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

A fern, but if you meant what kind, I wouldn't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

Hi

Can anyone tell me what plant this is thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd say blackcurrant.

• Advertisement

Or maybe redcurrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭macraignil

JR79 wrote: »
    Hi

I'd guess it's a flowering currant.

• Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What is this?

It is a Male Fern, Dryopteris, possibly D.affinis Scaly Male Fern

• MeTheMan wrote: »
    This grows along the shore near me every year. Roots smell like celery.

478871.jpg
    478872.jpg
    478873.jpg
    478874.jpg
    This is very likely Hemlock Water Dropwort, sometimes considered the most poisonous of all our native plants. Most frequent on seashores. All parts are poisonous, but reported fatalities have come from eating those visible roots

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

First time to upload a photo, hope it works
    Any idea what weed this is. A number of flowerbeds are overtaken by this. Millions of seeds visible on soil too; it's self seeding
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Here it is

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Still no pic!

Look see, i can upload it

It's like a clump of grass. Not deep rooted. Self seeds. Seeds visible on the soil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

JR79 wrote: »
    Hi

I don't know its name but it's not a currant. I have it growing between the neighbour and me. It makes a very large, dense hedge, that gives great cover for birds. Those pink flowers give off the most beautiful fragrance morning and evening from early spring right through to the end of summer. The fragrance brings me back to my childhood as it reminds me of the smell in the church at benediction. It is incredibly easy to propagate - simply cut a piece off and stick it in the ground.

Why do you say it is not a current? Looks like a currant to me - Ribes Sanguineum. Would be improved by being severely cut back and allowed to grow again to improve the flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's like a clump of grass. Not deep rooted. Self seeds. Seeds visible on the soil

Before you post a pic is there a bird feeder above the area?
    A carpet of maize is growing under most bird feeders i've seen recently, the birds don't like them and simply throw the seeds out!

looksee wrote: »
    Why do you say it is not a current? Looks like a currant to me - Ribes Sanguineum. Would be improved by being severely cut back and allowed to grow again to improve the flowers.

Hi Looksee. I have it growing and it grows like a hedge (as big as a small tree). It may be in the currant family but it doesn't bear fruit. Here it is in close up and from further away. It had about three feet lopped off recently! (trying to upload images)

Here we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭barneyrub

Is this a hydrangea?

And if so, is it possible to move it this time of year? Path going where it is now

• Advertisement

Is this a hydrangea?

And if so, is it possible to move it this time of year? Path going where it is now

And also any idea on this. Has bright red berries in autumn.

Would it be worth/possible moving it? There's paving going where it is now?
    tx

Not a hydrangea, perhaps a berberis (the tree-like shrub with red berries, I mean).

And yes, the first is a hydrangea. Not sure how much they'd enjoy being moved when they're just about ready to bloom. I'd say it'd be safer to move them when they're dormant, but someone more knowledgeable will clarify soon. :)

Having said that, if the alternative is to get rid of it altogether, I'd say it's worth trying to save it even if the season isn't the most favourable.

Varta wrote: »
    Hi Looksee. I have it growing and it grows like a hedge (as big as a small tree). It may be in the currant family but it doesn't bear fruit. Here it is in close up and from further away. It had about three feet lopped off recently! (trying to upload images)

Varta it is flowering currant..Ribes sanguineum.

barneyrub wrote: »
    And also any idea on this. Has bright red berries in autumn.

Would it be worth/possible moving it? There's paving going where it is now?
    tx

It's an old cankered cotoneaster, not really worth keeping.
    The hydrangea should be fine being moved as it's quite small, just give it plenty of water once replanted.

Varta, it is rather an exceptionally big specimen, but it is a flowering current. It may have the occasional weedy fruit on it but it is grown for the flowers not fruit.

Agree about cotoneaster. If you look around you may well find a young one growing somewhere - they can throw seeds around with the same enthusiasm as a sycamore.

Thanks everyone.

Figured it'd be the wrong time of year to look at moving any plant really. The hydrangea will have to come up though but will replant it and just hope for the best....

Will let the cotoneaster go so. It's always baffled me since we moved in here...it's just plonked in the middle of the garden all on it's own! I guess now it wasn't planted and must have strayed from somewhere....must peek over the neighbours wall!!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

Varta wrote: »
    I don't know its name but it's not a currant. I have it growing between the neighbour and me. It makes a very large, dense hedge, that gives great cover for birds. Those pink flowers give off the most beautiful fragrance morning and evening from early spring right through to the end of summer. The fragrance brings me back to my childhood as it reminds me of the smell in the church at benediction. It is incredibly easy to propagate - simply cut a piece off and stick it in the ground.

Thank you all for your info. Yes this is a hedge grows quite large and has a really strong smell, brings me right back to my grandparents house when I was a kid every time I smell it, that and lifebouy soap!

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Varta, it is rather an exceptionally big specimen, but it is a flowering current. It may have the occasional weedy fruit on it but it is grown for the flowers not fruit.

Agree about cotoneaster. If you look around you may well find a young one growing somewhere - they can throw seeds around with the same enthusiasm as a sycamore.

Cheers. Lots of people have asked me what it is and I've never been able to tell them.

Advertisement