Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭finla

looksee wrote: »
    Is Hottentot fig the same as mesembryanthemum?

Yes, seems it is. https://www.gardenershq.com/Mesembryanthemum-Fig-Marigold.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

@effects

Hottentot Fig is an invasive: please do NOT let this get loose, especially not near beaches.

https://www.plantlife.org.uk/uk/discover-wild-plants-nature/plant-fungi-species/hottentot-fig

That is an English website but this plant is on Irish "invasive species" lists too. Best to keep it indoors or in close quarters and if ever you dispose of it, burn it and bin it, no dumping anywhere in the wild.

If I may ask, where did you find these plants?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Goodness I wasn't aware of its invasive nature, I have only ever seen it growing in gardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Anyone got an idea? The catkins/flowering heads have me thrown off. Alder? Smooth barked. Fell in the storm last night unfortunately.

Oww9l7rl.jpg

SDbx2qBl.jpg

gtmdPs1l.jpg

Looks like goat willow?

• Advertisement

Anything I can do to make it more identifiable?
    Cheers so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭macraignil

Roen wrote: »
    Anything I can do to make it more identifiable?
    Cheers so far!

It looks like a type of willow to me as well but I read somewhere that they hybridize fairly frequently so it might be a cross between different willow varieties. Are there any similar trees in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

This grows along the shore near me every year. Roots smell like celery.

478871.jpg
    478872.jpg
    478873.jpg
    478874.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Saw this in the woods the other day. Looked unusual to me. What is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,688 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Won’t let me post a pic sorry

macraignil wrote: »
    It looks like a type of willow to me as well but I read somewhere that they hybridize fairly frequently so it might be a cross between different willow varieties. Are there any similar trees in the area?

One right next to it and one in the front garden. Totally different type of willow in the front though.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what type of tree this is from the picture of the buds opening please ?

It's a variety of plum (not edible). Stunning tree in bloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

MeTheMan wrote: »

478871.jpg
    478872.jpg
    478873.jpg
    478874.jpg

Looks like Lovage. Leaves are used in soups and salads but to me they are very strong smelling. I keep it for the ornamental value.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Just be very careful, some of these plants have some very dangerous lookalikes.

http://www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/blog/blog010911.htm

The plant is growing in water. A small flow of water coming from a drain. About 2 inch deep atm but will all but dry up during summer.

On a bit of a roll here. Fairly distinctive purple base to stems. Posting on mobile so might be tiny.

82Yl85zl.jpg

2WSZZNHl.jpg

Edited to reduce pic size.

Wow, they are not tiny pics! Excellent. Are they of a plant or a shrub though? The stems look a bit like giant hogweed, but not the leaves. They look familiar, Elder?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd have said elder, too. :) I must go out and check if the stem of the younger leaves is hollow/concave, too.

I think the stems look a bit too fleshy to be a shrub, I have a notion in the back of my head of a plant, but I can't quite pin it down.

• Advertisement

Cheers,

So that was the entire plant I was holding in my hand. Stopped just below the bottom of the pick.

Edited the pics to make them a bit more viewing friendly. Think when you link an image from imgur on the mobile site it defaults to the original size instead of a more web friendly one.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭OwlEye

This is a handy app that I use to help identify plants,

https://identify.plantnet.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Roen wrote: »
    On a bit of a roll here. Fairly distinctive purple base to stems. Posting on mobile so might be tiny.

82Yl85zl.jpg

2WSZZNHl.jpg

Edited to reduce pic size.

Is that a type of Angelica?

I think you are right Lottpaul, I am not too familiar with angelica, I gather it is the same family as the hogweeds, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Can anyone ID this?

My neighbour has some growing in their garden and a few have now taken hold in mine.

I'm guessing they're some sort of large weed but bees seem to like it so I've let it grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Young Echium?

Young Japanese medlar/ loquat?

(Eriobotrya Japonica)

Loquat+leaf.JPG

These are the flowers, but the tree takes quite a few years before it shows any signs of flowering (it'll be at least three metres tall before it blooms).

Inflorescences-flower-visitors-and-infructescences-of-Eriobotrya-japonica-A-A.png

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Young Echium?

I think it's one of these based on the larger ones I've seen in my neighbour's

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Anyone know this tree?

• Advertisement

Whitebeam?

Advertisement