Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

• 06-04-2019 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Excuse my presumption starting this (is there another one lurking somewhere?) but I think we need a stickied thread for this sort of thing. Can a mod do the necessary?

Can someone confirm these are Arum italicum

2SWHn.jpg

and Ribwort plantain (plantago lanceolata)

2SWHo.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭macraignil

Excuse my presumption starting this (is there another one lurking somewhere?) but I think we need a stickied thread for this sort of thing. Can a mod do the necessary?

Can someone confirm these are Arum italicum

2SWHn.jpg

and Ribwort plantain (plantago lanceolata)

2SWHo.jpg

I think the arum does look like the other pictures I see on google but not really familiar with the plant myself so maybe not the best to confirm the identity. The second photo to me looks more like a young willowherb plant.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd agree on the Arum Italicum. Not sure about the second plant, but it's definitely not plantago - I'd go with willowherb, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'll let them flourish and see what the flowers look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭finla

Second one is definitely willowherb.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,709 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Can someone tell me what type of tree this is from the picture of the buds opening please ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The flowers on those long stems remind me of cherries, but the shape of the leaves seems like that of an apple tree. The colour isn't right for either, so I'm going to guess some sort of decorative crab apple.

Thanks New Home .
    I haven't a clue about plants or trees , this one is in the garden for as long as I can remember . Pretty flowering buds though :)

Mine is an (un)educated guess, the real experts will come along soon. :)

Gorgeous tree, though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭standardg60

You're spot on New Home

Woo-hoo!!! :D \o/

What do I win? :pac:

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    Woo-hoo!!! :D \o/

What do I win? :pac:

A crab apple ?
    :D

Woo-hoo!! \o/ Free seeds for a new plant!! :)

New Home wrote: »
    Woo-hoo!! \o/ Free seeds for a new plant!! :)

Anytime NH :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone ID the tree that this leaf comes from....

leaf.jpg

Whitebeam, I think.

New Home is on a roll here, keep em coming :-)

\o/

Now I know how Srameen feels in the Quiz thread. :D:D:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thread now added to the sticky list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Anyone know what this blighter is?

Remains of flowers in the last shot.
    Guessing crab apple but never once seen an actual bit of fruit. Height is approx 12-14ft.
    Leaves seem shiny and waxy now as they are so new but later on in the year they'll lose that and seem more like a normal leaf.

STCLMZjl.jpg

o5Xj0Avl.jpg

c9nXFail.jpg

Not an apple but an ornamental pear tree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Not an apple but an ornamental pear tree

Super. Cheers. Had us puzzled for the past three years or so.

Hi,
    Just posted a video clip of this wildflower in my garden and was wondering if anybody could identify what it is. I was clearing space when planting some haw thorn plants left over from a hedge planting elsewhere as there was a stretch of that hedge with nothing growing. I only realised one of the plants I was clearing had a nice flower when I had some pulled up already so put a few of them in a shady spot in a pot and they survived and I since planted them in the garden. Any information on what it is would be much appreciated.
    All the best.
    Rob

Some form of stitchwort would be my best guess

Some form of stitchwort would be my best guess

Looks just like some of the photos of that alright.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Can anyone identify these sea side plants:
    3aj0xuP.png
    Flower is from the repotted plant.

b07hwDw.png

Can't seem to find them online. I've replanted in a sand and soil mixture but wondering if they will survive in pots or if there's any other care I need to do.

Effects wrote: »
    Can anyone identify these sea side plants:
    3aj0xuP.png
    Flower is from the repotted plant.

b07hwDw.png

Can't seem to find them online. I've replanted in a sand and soil mixture but wondering if they will survive in pots or if there's any other care I need to do.

I think it's a type of hottentot fig which is from South Africa so would probably need plenty of light and not much water.

The second one looks a bit like elycrysum (sp.?).

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭OwlEye

The second looks like Thrift, Armeria maritima.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

macraignil wrote: »
    I think it's a type of hottentot fig which is from South Africa so would probably need plenty of light and not much water.

That sounds like it alright. Interesting that it has yellow flowers that turn pink. I thought it was just two different varieties of the plant.
    It seems to thrive around Howth head despite all the rain we get!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,904 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is Hottentot fig the same as mesembryanthemum?

Advertisement