Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spider-Man: Far From Home [** SPOILERS FROM POST 240 **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,007 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Varik wrote: »
    Don't think he cares about peter that much, to focus any such feeling on him alone.

Yeah, but you'd think writers would be able to work something up and flash Thompson being that bit older and becoming an eventual enemy would make more sense than 16 year old flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭pah

kerplun k wrote: »
    But not just Peter and Ned, MJ, Flash, Betty and Liz were all snapped too. I’ll say it again, that’s some coincidence.

Same coincidence as the OG Avengers surviving the snap. I can live with it. Besides, the multiverse implies that any and all outcomes are possible, just so happens we're watching the one where all the friends got snapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

pah wrote: »
    Same coincidence as the OG Avengers surviving the snap. I can live with it. Besides, the multiverse implies that any and all outcomes are possible, just so happens we're watching the one where all the friends got snapped.

Hmmm, after some discussion on here I’m not fully sure about the multiverse. I think the trailer has achieved its purpose and has sold me. I’m also bit more curious about Mysterio now.

As far as the age thing goes, I’m happy to go with “they were all snapped” explanation but only If it’s acknowledged that’s what happened, and it’s not just swept under the rug. The MCU have committed to this 5 year gap thing, it’s a big deal and should have consequences.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'll make another 90% confidence claim that we'll get lip service and that's it. There's no way the brain trust thought hard enough about this five year bump; the more you think and dig, the less sense it makes, and the darker and more harrowing it becomes. I haven't seen narrative hand waving this blatant outside of stuff like the CW Flash show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Remember that the first spiderman movie had the major mess of "8 years later" which made no sense to anyone, dunno if this is the same team but they could just not care about timelines

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'll make another 90% confidence claim that we'll get lip service and that's it. There's no way the brain trust thought hard enough about this five year bump; the more you think and dig, the less sense it makes, and the darker and more harrowing it becomes. I haven't seen narrative hand waving this blatant outside of stuff like the CW Flash show.

Oh, I think it would it be a huge cop out to do something like that and then not have a plan, even worse if they tried to just sweep the whole thing under the rug.

The upcoming sequels have somewhat covered themselves with most of the GOTG getting snapped. You don’t need to do a whole lot with Rocket, Gamora and Nebula to show an age difference, same with Black Panther, it’s not that much of an effort to show Okoye as 5 years older,

But in regards to any new installments I’d expect the events of Endgame to be woven into the narrative, I mean, having half the population disappear, and come back 5 years later with the same age as they left is a pretty big fricken deal, so much so, I’d lose ALL credibility for the MCU if they didn’t address it, and actually tried to ignore something like that.

I guess we’ll get a flavor of what direction they plan on going with FFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

As far as the age thing goes, I’m happy to go with “they were all snapped” explanation but only If it’s acknowledged that’s what happened, and it’s not just swept under the rug. The MCU have committed to this 5 year gap thing, it’s a big deal and should have consequences.

exactly it should but it doesn't IMO. So even if they all got snapped, unlikely, but anyway, everyone can jet set off to Europe like no snap ever happened and everywhere is all good these days only a short period after the events of endgame? Said it in Endgame thread and will say it here, what about food production, being able to cope with both the disappearance and the reversal etc. There is no way everything in Europe is just hunky-dory like it is today and in that trailer.

The 5 year gap is such a massive mistake in the MCU as they can never hope to even remotely get the consequences to be meaningful.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,007 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

exactly it should but it doesn't IMO. So even if they all got snapped, unlikely, but anyway, everyone can jet set off to Europe like no snap ever happened and everywhere is all good these days only a short period after the events of endgame? Said it in Endgame thread and will say it here, what about food production, being able to cope with both the disappearance and the reversal etc. There is no way everything in Europe is just hunky-dory like it is today and in that trailer.

The 5 year gap is such a massive mistake in the MCU as they can never hope to even remotely get the consequences to be meaningful.
    1. Dealing fully with the consequences would be boring as f.
    2. It's two weeks. No movie has come out yet. You've seen nothing. Your criticism is based purely on speculation.

A massive mistake. Based on nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

2. It's two weeks. No movie has come out yet. You've seen nothing. Your criticism is based purely on speculation.

Endgame blew up the world, and made the biggest, most structurally and emotionally dramatic change to planet Earth imaginable but have had-waved it away past believability, even within that very movie. It was happy to talk about collapsed governments, show us group therapy sessions of broken people, and how much of a slum San Francisco suburbs had become; if this trailer's anything to go by, the world is shiny and functioning again (and apparently is only set months after the events of Endgame), basically pretending like 4-5 billion humans didn't just disappear for 5 years and effectively collapse civilisation.

The Russo's - well, the scripters - opened the can of worms, it's frustrating it appears like Stark's death is the most important thing here (much like Endgame where his daughter trumped the utterly f*cked up world they were living in)

Nope, the film's not out, you're right, but as said already - Endgame literally broke planet Earth. But ... ... Spider-Man on Euro Vacation! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

While I do agree that it is a bit of a cop out that so many of his peers were snapped: As well as his classmates also Aunt May, Happy etc. I would miss them had they been written out/changed. I enjoyed them immensely in the first one.

had Sony been in on the ground floor about what was gonna happen in Infinity then I bet they would have written in a couple of characters that you liked/didn't like that could have been not-snapped in this one.

However given the secrecy level (Especially as this is a total other studio) I would imagine that they were just out of the loop intentionally.

I am really looking forward to this though. The first was fun and this looks so too (For some reason yer man getting punched in the crotch makes me laugh. Every. Time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

had Sony been in on the ground floor about what was gonna happen in Infinity then I bet they would have written in a couple of characters that you liked/didn't like that could have been not-snapped in this one.

Well going by the trailer the film heavily references and builds on major developments from Endgame, so I’m sure they’re very much on the ground floor (and these films are made with Marvel Studios and considered mainline MCU entries) :) While it remains to be seen how the consequences and aftermath of the snap will be more widely handled, it’s the assumption - that this trailer supports - that the darker and more complex repercussions are likely to be glossed over. But that’s the Marvel films for you.

Well going by the trailer the film heavily references and builds on major developments from Endgame, so I’m sure they’re very much on the ground floor (and these films are made with Marvel Studios and considered mainline MCU entries) :) While it remains to be seen how the consequences and aftermath of the snap will be more widely handled, it’s the assumption - that this trailer supports - that the darker and more complex repercussions are likely to be glossed over. But that’s the Marvel films for you.

No, what I meant was when they were planning Spiderman Homecoming. They could have fleshed out some secondary characters that would be interesting but not critical. Say, another bully or sidekick of Flash's. All of a sudden he's five years older and outgrown them. No longer the bully but just happy to see his old friends/not-friends back. Why not have Gwen in the background of Homecoming. Have people go: Oh, Gwen AND MJ...... and then have Gwen appear as an adult looking at her ex-crush who is now a kid to her.

As you say, the new trailer leans heavily on the whole post Endgame fallout. I think Sony would have done something like this had they known in early days of scripting Homecoming.

Having said that. Given how Marvel mess around with trailers to throw people off track (Hulk in Age of Ultron scene where they are all running at the screen; Thor Ragnarok with both eyes etc.), who's to say that Aunt May and Happy aren't actually 5 years older.

Plus: Multiverse now, huh? Can you imagine how much people would lose their sh*t if Miles Morales suddenly popped up.....(You saw it here first: Post Credit sequence) Wonder would he be covered by Sony's Spiderman rights: Peter Parker for Sony and Miles Morales for Marvel Pictures...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭ThePott

Mysterio could easily be lying but anyway.

I think there's big plans for Spider-Man assuming Sony re-up that deal which why wouldn't they.
    Miles Morales, Norman Osborne, Spider-Gwen could see them pop up at some point in the next few years. I also think the multiverse could be a way for them to explain away how Venom and the Sony spin-offs exist outside of the MCU

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No, what I meant was when they were planning Spiderman Homecoming. They could have fleshed out some secondary characters that would be interesting but not critical.

Ah, apologies - that’s fair! I do reckon Sony did work quite closely with Marvel on Homecoming, but certainly given the age of the characters this is the one they’re both most likely to struggle with in terms of the ‘missing’ five years.

Anyway, I have little investment in this - all about Spiderverse 2 instead ;)

..... all about Spiderverse 2 instead ;)

Yup. Bring it!

excited_orig.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Anyway, I have little investment in this - all about Spiderverse 2 instead ;)

I'm waiting on the sequel to the Insomniac PlayStation game.

While I do agree that it is a bit of a cop out that so many of his peers were snapped: As well as his classmates also Aunt May, Happy etc. I would miss them had they been written out/changed. I enjoyed them immensely in the first one.

However given the secrecy level (Especially as this is a total other studio) I would imagine that they were just out of the loop intentionally.

I am really looking forward to this though. The first was fun and this looks so too (For some reason yer man getting punched in the crotch makes me laugh. Every. Time.

Yep and because Spiderman is a Sony / Marvel partnership, I’m willing to give some leeway on the gloss, I mean, if FFH wants to say the core cast avoided the snap, that’s fine, also, you want to have a functional world within days of Endgame, that’s also fine, but I think if they are going to gloss over it, which it looks like they are, they really should at least acknowledge it.

Thor is a good example of how this should be handled. They didn’t just ignore the devastation caused in ragnarok. Thor is a mess, and you see the impact it had on the people. FFH should at least try to do something similar and show some impact of endgame.

The Russos really opened a can of worms here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Yep and because Spiderman is a Sony / Marvel partnership, I’m willing to give some leeway on the gloss, I mean, if FFH wants to say the core cast avoided the snap, that’s fine, also, you want to have a functional world within days of Endgame, that’s also fine, but I think if they are going to gloss over it, which it looks like they are, they really should at least acknowledge it.

Thor is a good example of how this should be handled. They didn’t just ignore the devastation caused in ragnarok. Thor is a mess, and you see the impact it had on the people. FFH should at least try to do something similar and show some impact of endgame.

The Russos really opened a can of worms here.

It's clear from the trailer though that Stark's death and its impact on Peter are going to play a huge part in his arc.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    It's clear from the trailer though that Stark's death and its impact on Peter are going to play a huge part in his arc.

Ah yeah. But I’m mainly talking about the impact of the world Peter now lives in. That should have an equal impact on Peters life as Tony’s death did. Yep Tony’s dead, but also, a ton of people he knew are suddenly 5 years older. What has he missed in the last 5 years. Had he got a savings account, did it make much interest :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ah yeah. But I’m mainly talking about the impact of the world Peter now lives in. That should have an equal impact on Peters life as Tony’s death did. Yep Tony’s dead, but also, a ton of people he knew are suddenly 5 years older. What has he missed in the last 5 years. Had he got a savings account, did it make much interest :D

Wait, people can earn interest on savings in the MCU? That's mad!

• Advertisement

Wait, people can earn interest on savings in the MCU? That's mad!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Seen a short clip of Peter meeting Mysterio, and that clip also that canonizes the MCU as
    Earth-616
    and Mysterio being from
    Earth-833
    and Peter
    then proceeds to nerd out
    when Mysterio mentions
    the multiverse

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

1. you don't have to deal fully with it, but completely ignoring it apart from Starks death is just stupid considering it is the biggest thing to ever happen to mankind
    2. and the trailer...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

An interview with director about the trailer, some good info here but you still can't take it as 100% truth as he might want to throw a curve ball. He confirms the multiverse exists because of the snap and Mysterio and the Elementals came from the other earth. Fury is putting a new team together starting with spider-man and Mysterio.

Still reeks of bull**** to me (Mysterio being a good guy from alternate earth)

https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/exclusive-interview-spider-man-far-from-home-director-jon-watts-breaks-down-that-wild-new-trailer-753743

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Either they have completely rewritten Mysterio into an alternate universe superhero who has genuine non-illusion based powers...

OR

Its an illusion, consistent with the comic book version of Mysterio.

Which snap caused the tear that allowed Mysterio through though, Thanos's original one when Thor should've gone for the head in Infinity War, Thanos's 2nd snap one when he destroyed the Stones at the beginning of Endgame, Smart Hulk snapping everyone back, or Tony's sacrificial snap towards the end of Endgame?

Pter wrote: »
    Either they have completely rewritten Mysterio into an alternate universe superhero who has genuine non-illusion based powers...

OR

Its an illusion, consistent with the comic book version of Mysterio.

Or it could be both: that he really is from another dimension, but is using his illusions to spoof being the hero saving our world, while he commits to his masterplan.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Rob2D wrote: »

Holy **** IF true. Especially the last point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭ThePott

Rob2D wrote: »

What's the source on this?
    I do expect Osborne to be introduced for and the Sinister Six but that reeks of speculation and fan theory. Not that I can't see some truth in it.

Advertisement