Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wildfires wreak havoc in Greece. 74 Dead.

• 24-07-2018 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2018/0724/980656-greece/
    I was briefed by a rescuer that he saw the shocking picture of 26 people tightly huddled in a field some 30 metres from the beach," Nikos Economopoulos, head of Greece's Red Cross, told Skai TV.

"They had tried to find an escape route but unfortunately these people and their kids didn't make it in time," he said.

We're so lucky with our weather. Absolutely horrific.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just heard on the 6.1 news that an Irish man named as Brian O'Callaghan-Westdropp died as a result of the fire.

Himself & his wife, Zoe Holohan, were only just married as a newlywed couple last Thursday & flew out to Greece on Saturday. His wife is still in hospital suffering from burns to her head & hands. I wonder what to think when she finds out that her husband is now no longer with her. This is probably one of the worst tragedies that has come out of this fire in Greece when Irish people are victims. Their families & friends are contemplating the fact that their loved ones or friends are never going to come back home alive just after being newlyweds. May Brian R.I.P. I hope Zoe recovers from her injuries after her horrific ordeal.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0725/980935-irish-greece-wildfires/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

RIP to Brian and the others.

What a horrible tragedy. Seen the footage on the news yesterday. Absolutely horrifying stories from some of the survivors. One guy in the water saw people drown next to him, but there was nothing he could do to help them. Other talked about families huddled together as the flames closed in.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

This is too much to handle. That poor guy and girl. You can just tell from people when they look lovely and the pictures I'm seeing. :'( The poor families across Greece. Harrowing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sad sad stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Good chance it was started deliberately too.

My Granda wasn't a violet man, but he always said anyone caught lighting heather should be hung by the balls for a fortnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Poor poor Greece and poor people who were caught up in this horror . I am sad and so sorry this happened to people . I would love to help out when they need funds to re build

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

So so sad. The whole thing is awful but it really hits home when it's an Irish person. On their honeymoon and all. Awful. RIP Brian. Can't believe someone would do this deliberately.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Terrible disaster, horrific for the victims and their family and friends.

The people who started these fires should be locked up for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Horrific. I was moved to tears watching the news last night as a man explained he ran from the car with his baby son, but had to watch his wife being engulfed. So sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

My Granda wasn't a violet man, but he always said anyone caught lighting heather should be hung by the balls for a fortnight.

Why do people do it??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

A sad story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Why do people do it??

Fetish.

Why do people do it??

To clear the land a lot of the time. Sheer incompetence or downright badness others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

To clear the land a lot of the time. Sheer incompetence or downright badness others.

Thanks. Can't believe someone would that with malicious intent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Nobody would stay hanging by the balls for a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Poor poor Greece and poor people who were caught up in this horror . I am sad and so sorry this happened to people . I would love to help out when they need funds to re build

The Municipality of Rafina - Pikermi announced the creation of a special bank account in cooperation with Piraeus Bank for those who wish to contribute to the effort to relieve and strengthen our fellow citizens:

PIRAEUS BANK
    Account Number: 5186092291418 IBAN: GR20 0172 1860 0051 8609 2291 418

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The Municipality of Rafina - Pikermi announced the creation of a special bank account in cooperation with Piraeus Bank for those who wish to contribute to the effort to relieve and strengthen our fellow citizens:

PIRAEUS BANK
    Account Number: 5186092291418 IBAN: GR20 0172 1860 0051 8609 2291 418

Thank you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The thing is the fires themselves are probably a natural process and part of the ecological cycle, same as floods. They would happen anyway at some stage, just less frequently without the human causes. They need to be planned for

The thing is the fires themselves are probably a natural process and part of the ecological cycle, same as floods. They would happen anyway at some stage, just less frequently without the human causes. They need to be planned for

True, but it shouldn't give the cnuts that start them a free pass.

Advertisement