Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rural Ireland getting a "Drink-Link".... lucky feckers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Graces7 wrote: »
    ???? Source?

Last night on Prime Time he was criticizing the scheme saying it won't cover all the areas it needs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 28,782 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Even though public transport is in desperate need of a major investment, it's kinna sad and somewhat disturbing that this is actually going ahead, I suspect there's an element of lobbying going on here from the vintners, but we really need to deal with our obsession with alcohol, even though this will help some folks in rural areas to get around to engage in non-alcoholic activities

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭SeanW

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd call 17% "very few", but that may be a matter of opinion.

Also, I wasn't talking about introducing new laws, but simply introducing enforcement of existing laws - something the Healy-Reas have ranted against and blocked wherever possible for years now.

Can you point me to where I called them "terrorists", or was that just something you made up on the spot, to emphasise the common sense part?
    Apologies, you did not, but Minister Shane Ross did. and that was bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The bizarre idea that it's too early to collect people at 11pm!!! here is an idea got out earlier, was in a Pub in Cumbria in the UK the music came on a 9pm and finished at 11 pm everyone had a great time, Ireland its 11pm before the music starts and that in a pub with normal closing hours. It bound to get to the stage where people will want to go to the pub at 12 midnight and expect it to be open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Even though public transport is in desperate need of a major investment, it's kinna sad and somewhat disturbing that this is actually going ahead, I suspect there's an element of lobbying going on here from the vintners, but we really need to deal with our obsession with alcohol, even though this will help some folks in rural areas to get around to engage in non-alcoholic activities

In my mind, Alcohol and other drugs is one of the biggest problems Ireland faces today.
    Why do we need to drink heavily at social gatherings?
    There is a huge amount of people that religiously go to the pub on Friday after work and have a skin full. Saturday morning is then wrote off. They then head out on Saturday night and do the same.
    I play XBOX over XBL with all my mates, it's WAAAAAAAAY cheaper and more fun.

grahambo wrote:
    In my mind, Alcohol and other drugs is one of the biggest problems Ireland faces today. Why do we need to drink heavily at social gatherings? There is a huge amount of people that religiously go to the pub on Friday after work and have a skin full. Saturday morning is then wrote off. They then head out on Saturday night and do the same. I play XBOX over XBL with all my mates, it's WAAAAAAAAY cheaper and more fun.

It's something deeply engrained in us, and it's lethal, it's one of the many things that controls our society, including at a political level, disturbing to watch really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd call 17% "very few", but that may be a matter of opinion.

Also, I wasn't talking about introducing new laws, but simply introducing enforcement of existing laws - something the Healy-Reas have ranted against and blocked wherever possible for years now.

Can you point me to where I called them "terrorists", or was that just something you made up on the spot, to emphasise the common sense part?
    The terrorist quote came from Minister Ross calling the Healy-Reas terrorists for delaying the legislation.

He also used that term outside the Dail so Dail privilege doesn't apply and he now has to try to wriggle out of that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭downtheroad

RSL clubs in rural parts of Australia often have their own bus which does a collection and drop off every hour in the community, a great way to get people to and from the bar which also usually offers food, music and entertainment.
    I was in Sligo a couple of months ago and the 2 pubs that I was in on the Friday and Saturday night both offered a collection and drop off to/from local B&Bs, by one of the bar staff on duty. 'If you build it, they will come.'

All the routes in the link for the Indo article below

Revealed: The 50 bus routes under new 'drink link' plan for rural Ireland

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/rural-life/revealed-the-50-bus-routes-under-new-drink-link-plan-for-rural-ireland-36885011.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Treating the symptom, not the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

grahambo wrote: »
    In my mind, Alcohol and other drugs is one of the biggest problems Ireland faces today.
    Why do we need to drink heavily at social gatherings?
    There is a huge amount of people that religiously go to the pub on Friday after work and have a skin full. Saturday morning is then wrote off. They then head out on Saturday night and do the same.
    I play XBOX over XBL with all my mates, it's WAAAAAAAAY cheaper and more fun.

It's not as bad as it once was, at one time coming into work pissed (and even actually drinking at work) was a widespread problem. Don't think any workplace would tolerate that now.

It's not as bad as it once was, at one time coming into work pissed (and even actually drinking at work) was a widespread problem. Don't think any workplace would tolerate that now.

Hard to say, I've worked with lads permanently stoned out of their heads, snorting coke, tripping off their heads on god knows what, I have seen lads being sent home drunk though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

The best solution to this problem is to cut off subsidies to one-off housing. Make rural dwellers pay the full cost of living rural, which would most certainly leave many rural-dwellers strapped for cash. You can't get drunk if you can't afford alcohol. A lot of rural-dwellers in this country don't seem to realise how heavily subsidised their lifestyles are and the every service in this country is paid for by the tax-payers of Dublin and Cork. If we cut off subsidies to one-off housing, rural Ireland would resemble rural Moldova, where people travel to urban areas on dirt tracks using horse and cart.

The best solution to this problem is to cut off subsidies to one-off housing. Make rural dwellers pay the full cost of living rural, which would most certainly leave many rural-dwellers strapped for cash. You can't get drunk if you can't afford alcohol. A lot of rural-dwellers in this country don't seem to realise how heavily subsidised their lifestyles are and the every service in this country is paid for by the tax-payers of Dublin and Cork. If we cut off subsidies to one-off housing, rural Ireland would resemble rural Moldova, where people travel to urban areas on dirt tracks using horse and cart.
    Just curious as to what subsidies are available for one-off housing?

Just curious as to what subsidies are available for one-off housing?

Let me answer your question with a question (Sorry, I hate it when people do this to me but hear me out)

Do you think in terms of Infrastructure:
    Roads
    Water pips
    Electricity lines
    Gas
    TV Cable
    etc
    that the cost of providing said infra per person is equal regardless of whether a person is living in a housing estate with 5,000 other people or whether the person in living +1km's from their nearest neighbor?

The Answer is no. It is not equal.
    It costs WAAAY more per person to provide infra in rural areas.
    As a result the cost in terms Tax of providing infra in rural areas is borne on people living in housing estates in cities and towns, which isn't really fair.

We have a housing/household charge now. People who choose to live rural should have to pay way more than people living in a housing estate.

Point to add. Many/most rural dwellers have the option of moving to a town or city but choose not to as living in a housing estate is "Their worst nightmare!"

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Roads
    Water pips
    Electricity lines
    Gas
    TV Cable

How many remote rural places get piped Water, Gas and Cable TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Let me answer your question with a question (Sorry, I hate it when people do this to me but hear me out)

Roads
    Water pips
    Electricity lines
    Gas
    TV Cable
    etc
    that the cost of providing said infra per person is equal regardless of whether a person is living in a housing estate with 5,000 other people or whether the person in living +1km's from their nearest neighbor?

The Answer is no. It is not equal.
    It costs WAAAY more per person to provide infra in rural areas.
    As a result the cost in terms Tax of providing infra in rural areas is borne on people living in housing estates in cities and towns, which isn't really fair.

We have a housing/household charge now. People who choose to live rural should have to pay way more than people living in a housing estate.

Point to add. Many/most rural dwellers have the option of moving to a town or city but choose not to as living in a housing estate is "Their worst nightmare!"

They can't house the ones who already want to live in cities and your plan is to tell more people they should move there?

I don't live in a one off house but it's a small village where everyone knows each other and you can't put a price on having nice neighbours.

You beat me to it!

• Advertisement

Roads
    Water pips
    Electricity lines
    Gas
    TV Cable
    etc

for town and city . add street lighting, higher policing rates, libraries etc etc etc. Swings and roundabouts time.

Agree re a housing estate being a nightmare.. I chose isolation, which is my right to do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Long overdue. Although I don't see why it could not have been something the pub owners did themselves.

Graces7 wrote: »
    You beat me to it!

Plenty!
    They can't house the ones who already want to live in cities and your plan is to tell more people they should move there?

I don't live in a one off house but it's a small village where everyone knows each other and you can't put a price on having nice neighbours.

The demographics are changing.
    Young people don't want to live out in the schticks anymore, they want to live in towns and cities.
    Ask any farmer what he/she thinks about the future of farming in Ireland and most of them will tell you they have no idea where the next generation of farmers are going to come from, because their kids have absolutely no interest in doing it.

This is part of the reason the house prices in cities are sky rocketing.
    Everyone wants to live there.

I read an article that said the worlds population will top out some time between 2050 and 2100. And one of the reasons behind that is the above change in attitude in terms of where people want to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Pyridine wrote: »
    Hmmmm. Back in my day a "drink-link" was an ATM.

I must be getting old! :(

you think these villages have atms??

I reckon a lot of you dubs haven't been out of the pale in years

Akrasia wrote: »
    you think these villages have atms??

I reckon a lot of you dubs haven't been out of the pale in years

Ah c'mon!

Every petrol station has an ATM now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm from suburban Dublin, not too far from Raheny (Grahambo). Nice enough area and quiet enough as the area is matured.

However, I moved to a semi rural area several years ago and would never even think about moving back to the suburbs, never mind the city itself. The city is a cacophony of noise, people, traffic, pollution and a general busyness. Also, if you are by yourself, it's a very lonely place, even though you are literally surrounded by other people.

In the blink and you miss it "village" where I live, everyone knows each other. People wave to each other when they pass in cars, people stop for a chat in the street all the time. Neighbours looks after each other. It's quiet....pin drop quiet when it's calm outside. The air is clean. It's pleasant to walk or cycle around.

Both of the above are worlds apart from each other. I could live in the city and travel to the countryside for a break but I love the countryside wayyyyyy too much. I much prefer living in the countryside and travel to urban areas when it suits me. I started work earlier than normal this morning and got from home to my office in Inchicore in less than 30 minutes. The quality of life is leagues ahead outside of the city, IMO.

Anyway, the new bus service won't be servicing me which is a shame but hopefully it'll be expanded in the future should this trial be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ah c'mon!

Every petrol station has an ATM now!

You think these villages have petrol stations?

Last year I can drove from Kilrush to loophead (through kilkee) and ran low on petrol. I asked at loop head where the nearest petrol station was, and was told that it was Kilrush, 40km away.
    I think they might have opened one petrol station since then, but it's only open during the day and certainly doesn't have an ATM.

Akrasia wrote: »
    You think these villages have petrol stations?

Last year I can drove from Kilrush to loophead (through kilkee) and ran low on petrol. I asked at loop head where the nearest petrol station was, and was told that it was Kilrush, 40km away.
    I think they might have opened one petrol station since then, but it's only open during the day and certainly doesn't have an ATM.

I was about to reply there is one in Kilkee
    Checked good maps:
    https://goo.gl/maps/LkQ2UYyb9Nu
    :D:D:D:D

There is an ATM there though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Please explain im totally lost.do you think no one in rural Ireland works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The demographics are changing.
    Young people don't want to live out in the schticks anymore, they want to live in towns and cities.

They can't live in the fcukin cities these days for anything like a reasonable rent! As for buying a house/apt in or near a city, dream on.

Advertisement