Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Lidl - 4 in 1 petrol strimmer

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭plodder

They seem to have the exact type at screwfix.ie as well. Can collect in store as I need it for Thursday. Will invest in a sharpener also ... later.

Thanks for all the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭plodder

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Count the number of drivelinks on the inside to know the length of chain.
    91 is 3/8 x 1.3 mm
    You can get the chains made up by any chainsaw shop.
    After counting the drive links, it turns out there are 40, which is a 25cm chain. Actually the chain is a good bit longer than 25cm which is what confused me initially. I guess the 25 cm is the usable cutting length of the bar.

I've had this tool for a few years and it's interesting how varied the experiences have been. I've found the attachments all to be excellent, but the engine is very hard to start, and extremely heavy. Though the harness provided does help with that. I'd probably buy another one though if they went on sale again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

plodder wrote: »
    I've had this tool for a few years and it's interesting how varied the experiences have been. I've found the attachments all to be excellent, but the engine is very hard to start, and extremely heavy. Though the harness provided does help with that. I'd probably buy another one though if they went on sale again.

I've had mine 2 years. Really can't complain for €180 (or whatever I paid). Have to say I don't find it too heavy - its mainly for strumming a ditch. My father in law had an a domestic husqvarna petrol strimmer and it was much lighter but 4in1 needs an engine for very different tasks.

Likewise though, if something ever happened my own, I'd have no problem replacing it.

Credit to Lidl and Aldi, their customer service and the supply of replacement parts is really good. I bought a pressure washer in Aldi and had to replace the lance, it was very straightforward. As mentioned above, I also had to replace the spool on my 4in1 and it was so easy and reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

I find the one I have very difficult to start too. And it's pretty heavy as well. Having said that, it does generally do the job. I don't find the harness great - maybe because I've never mastered how to use it to take the weight which might be my fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bosch Rua

legend99 wrote: »
    I find the one I have very difficult to start too. And it's pretty heavy as well. Having said that, it does generally do the job. I don't find the harness great - maybe because I've never mastered how to use it to take the weight which might be my fault!

Mine wouldn’t start at all after 1 hours work. Had to pack the unit off to Germany only to get a used replacement 3 weeks later! Still waiting for my replacement unit 6 weeks after buying. My advice : don’t buy !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Bosch Rua wrote: »
    Mine wouldn’t start at all after 1 hours work. Had to pack the unit off to Germany only to get a used replacement 3 weeks later! Still waiting for my replacement unit 6 weeks after buying. My advice : don’t buy !

4-in-1 Petrol Multi-Tool
    https://www.lidl.ie/p/p50938?productId=50938&countryCode=IE

Available again on Oct 1st. Maybe you could go in and see if you could get the replacement from a store?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Bosch Rua wrote: »

If it wasn't of merchantable quality.....you should have asked for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,943 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

legend99 wrote: »

Mine can be hard to start from cold on your back but if I stick it on the ground its usually fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I was planning on buying an electric pole saw in Screwfix for 69.99 but would this 4 in 1 be better as I would use the trimmer and strimmer options as well ?
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/mac-allister-hkpcs06d05-x-750w-220-240v-electric-20cm-pole-saw/446fg

I'm not too keen on a petrol device though, they tend to be very temperamental .
    Electric had the disadvantage of a cable .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

GreeBo wrote: »
    Mine can be hard to start from cold on your back but if I stick it on the ground its usually fine.

I find the same. Also, 1 or 2 extra presses of the fuel pump and away she goes. I know ow exactly how to start it.

• Advertisement

What is the max length on this with the extension pole, around 2.5m is it ?

Zardoz wrote: »
    What is the max length on this with the extension pole, around 2.5m is it ?

Yeah its about that, but remember that about 0.5m of that will be behind you and its very heavy to work with at full length.

One thing that helps is keeping it as vertical as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Zardoz wrote: »
    I was planning on buying an electric pole saw in Screwfix for 69.99 but would this 4 in 1 be better as I would use the trimmer and strimmer options as well ?
    https://www.screwfix.ie/p/mac-allister-hkpcs06d05-x-750w-220-240v-electric-20cm-pole-saw/446fg

I'm not too keen on a petrol device though, they tend to be very temperamental .
    Electric had the disadvantage of a cable .

Bought a Black & Decker electric Strimmer a couple of years back to replace a petrol one.

Forget what Wattage it was....but would have been the most powerful around at the time. It was pure gutless... and the cable was a real nuisance. Went straight out and bought a petrol one probably the next day.

Maybe with chainsaw... It will be different...but I wouldn't chance it.

Petrol & 2 stroke oil etc. is a pain in the hoop...and petrol engines are heavy when you are working up high.... But at least they will get the job done.

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Bought a Black & Decker electric Strimmer a couple of years back to replace a petrol one.

Forget what Wattage it was....but would have been the most powerful around at the time. It was pure gutless... and the cable was a real nuisance. Went straight out and bought a petrol one probably the next day.

Maybe with chainsaw... It will be different...but I wouldn't chance it.

Petrol & 2 stroke oil etc. is a pain in the hoop...and petrol engines are heavy when you are working up high.... But at least they will get the job done.

The first accessory to buy with any electric tool like this is a bumper pack of cable connectors for when you invariably cut the cable in half.

Its bad enough having to worry about cutting your arm off, you dont also want to have to worry about frying yourself when dangling from a ladder IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭OldRio

I bought the 4 in 1 in the summer. Fantastic bit of kit. The chain saw worked far better than expected BUT

I found it increasingly difficult to start. Went to start it this morning and not a chance. Very frustrating. Checked all the usual suspects to no avail. I'd imagine come next spring they will be many a dissatisfied customer trying to start this equipment.

bcklschaps wrote: »

The reviews of the Screwfix one are good, seems powerful and reliable.
    Petrol & 2 stroke oil etc. is a pain in the hoop...and petrol engines are heavy when you are working up high.... But at least they will get the job done
    I found it increasingly difficult to start. Went to start it this morning and not a chance. Very frustrating. Checked all the usual suspects to no avail. I'd imagine come next spring they will be many a dissatisfied customer trying to start this equipment.

Yes, that is what I'm afraid with a petrol device.
    I have a powerful petrol strimmer, that had the carburettor replaced, it worked for an hour after repair and I can't start it now for love nor money.
    Extremely frustrating .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭blackbox

OldRio wrote: »
    I bought the 4 in 1 in the summer. Fantastic bit of kit. The chain saw worked far better than expected BUT

I had trouble starting mine after about a month. I found that the bolts holding the carburetor had come loose, letting in too much air. I tightened these up and now it's grand.

Just fitted a new chain yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭OldRio

blackbox wrote: »
    I had trouble starting mine after about a month. I found that the bolts holding the carburetor had come loose, letting in too much air. I tightened these up and now it's grand.

Just fitted a new chain yesterday.

Thanks for that. I'll check on that tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JRFARTLY

HELP PLEASE

Hello, I understand this is a old thread but I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me out. I bought the 4 in 1 tool last year And have never ever managed to get a start from it, I've been through pretty much everything I can think of to get it to start. Checked carborator, primer bulb, fuel lines/ filter/cap, checked spark plug and connector adjusted fuel/ air ....ect but to avail .

I know some people mentioned that they had a job getting there's started but I'm at a loss .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you ring Lidl Customer Service (1800 347 447 or 1800 201080) you could ask for a copy of the manual (if you've lost it) and/or you could ask for a contact number for the company who made it (e.g. Kompernass, www.grizzlytools-service.eu), they might be able to give you some pointers. You'll need name and model or the EAS code.

Post edited by New Home on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 JRFARTLY

Hi thanks for getting in the touch, I managed to find the manual which I had misplaced, unfortunately there wasn't anything in it that could really advise me to try that I hadn't done already.

Looks like I have to Mr some enquiries with the manufacturer.it'll probably be something daft or the total opposite.Thanks again for the help .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭9935452

I have the same .strimmer.

It does take a good few pulls to get it going from cold

Does the primer bulb work.

Id keep priming it until there is no big bubbles of air going through the pipes.

Pull the choke fully and no throttle.

When you pull the throttle it knocks the choke off.

Is the on off switch fully on?

Does it try firing at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

I tried the hedge trimmer on mine for the second time today. Took a good few goes to start but then seemed to be going OK but after 60-90 secs it cut out. That keeps happening now. First time I used it for an hour with no issues. Thinking carburetor issue but I'm not familiar with these things. If it is a carburetor issue how do I get at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The carbs on those cheap chinese engines can be a right pain. I normally screw the needle all the way in gently then back out again (same number of turns or part of a turn) as a first action as it can help clean any muck off the needle and orifice.

I'd also empty out all the petrol and put in a fresh mix that is another first action that often helps. Next would be a plug clean/replacement.

I've resorted to replacing the carb before (very cheap on Amazon) which worked on one chinese strimmer that had major carb issues.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Thanks, albeit I think you're assuming a level of carburetor knowledge I don't have! Where would this needle be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Because I'm too lazy to explain they invented youtube

Gently turn that all the way in until it stops turning, while counting the turns to the nearest 1/8 of a turn. Then turn it back out to the same position. The cheap chinese strimmers like the Lidl one have the above type of carburettor with a single screw to adjust the fuel flow. Only difference is the Lidl one might be a smaller CC engine with a smaller carburettor.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement