Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Lidl - 4 in 1 petrol strimmer

• 05-07-2016 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Lidl are selling a florabest 4 in 1 strimmer
    hedge cutter chainsaw and blade strimmer for 159.99 this thursday.Im considering purchasing for use once a month or so around medium size garden.Does anybody have any reviews or other of similar items bought in Lidl.Thanks.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,020 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I got one on my dad's recommendation years ago. Waste of time. I only wanted the strimmer. I have a hedge strimmers already, and a loppers for getting branches that are out of reach. The chainsaw attachment is a bit dangerous imo, get a telescopic saw if needs be and do it the old fashioned way. Buy a decent strimmers with the money and forget about the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭kaiserrussel

These seemed to fly off the shelves, are these still in stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Plenty left in Coolock Lidl yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,783 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

beertons wrote: »
    I got one on my dad's recommendation years ago. Waste of time. I only wanted the strimmer. I have a hedge strimmers already, and a loppers for getting branches that are out of reach. The chainsaw attachment is a bit dangerous imo, get a telescopic saw if needs be and do it the old fashioned way. Buy a decent strimmers with the money and forget about the rest.

I use a Stihl Combi which operates on the same principle. The hedge cutter is way better than a normal cutter. I can cut a 6 ft hedge without a ladder. The chainsaw is way safer than a standard saw because the chain is well away from your body.

Everyone I know that has got one of these is pleased with it. It's around a tenth of what I paid for my Stihl :)

im not in Dublin for a few weeks, anyone know if these are available down Munster way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

A brilliant strimming tool, we have one too. I would stand around the bog in summer strimming high grass because it is satisfying to use

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ogie84

theparish wrote: »
    Lidl are selling a florabest 4 in 1 strimmer
    hedge cutter chainsaw and blade strimmer for 159.99 this thursday.Im considering purchasing for use once a month or so around medium size garden.Does anybody have any reviews or other of similar items bought in Lidl.Thanks.

Picked up a florabest strimmer a few years ago. Grand job, very powerful and easy to run. It's an Einhell engine. But unfortunately it has gone through 3 piston heads already, as the metal is cheap, poor quality and wears fairly easily. Was able to order the spare parts off Einhell, took about 3 weeks to deliver but if it happens again, it'll be heading for the scrap heap.
    http://www.einhelltools.co.uk/product-list.php

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

am i right in saying these 4 in 1 multi tools (of whatever make) are a jack of all trades but master of none?? i.e. they do an average job compared to one thats designed for one specific job??

fryup wrote: »
    am i right in saying these 4 in 1 multi tools (of whatever make) are a jack of all trades but master of none?? i.e. they do an average job compared to one thats designed for one specific job??

Not at all. I use a Stihl combi every day & it performs all functions perfectly. I would never go back to individual machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,739 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say that would be right.

Can't see how a €150 all in one tool could be as good as a separate €150 strimmer, €150 hedge cutter etc.

These are built for lightweight home use, which will of course suit a lot of the potential buyers, but I find you tend to get what you pay for when it comes to garden power tools.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

Can't see how a €150 all in one tool could be as good as a separate €150 strimmer, €150 hedge cutter etc.

These are built for lightweight home use, which will of course suit a lot of the potential buyers, but I find you tend to get what you pay for when it comes to garden power tools.

Having looked at my neighbour's Lidl machine I would disagree. It seems well made & it's a straight shaft strimmer - most €150 strimmers are bent shaft.

Yes it is a domestic machine but the hedgecutter seems good & the chainsaw uses an Oregon chain & bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

NIMAN wrote: »

The most expensive part of any strimmer, hedge cutter, etc.should be the engine. The incremental cost for the additional attachments in a 4 in 1 should be much less than buying several single purpose tools. I'd expect to pay a bit more for a 4 in 1 than a single purpose tool, I'd expect to pay much less for a 4 in 1 than four separate tools without sacrificing any quality. It boils down to how good / reliable the engine is.

The most expensive part of any strimmer, hedge cutter, etc.should be the engine. The incremental cost for the additional attachments in a 4 in 1 should be much less than buying several single purpose tools. I'd expect to pay a bit more for a 4 in 1 than a single purpose tool, I'd expect to pay much less for a 4 in 1 than four separate tools without sacrificing any quality. It boils down to how good / reliable the engine is.

The Stihl Hedgecutter attachment is almost as expensive as the engine unit. Engines aren't expensive as they are mass produced.

hi there

following up again to see if any these are available in Cork/Waterford or Munster area?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

So I bought one of these from lidl 3 weeks ago.Just unboxed it yesterday due to bad weather last few weeks.
    The minute I filled the tank the fuel was squirting out through the hose.There was also serious vibration from the engine while not being used.
    Brought it back and got refund.
    Will bite the bullet and buy a higher end model.

My neighbour bought one & he's very pleased with it.

Stihl Combi is the best but it will cost many times the price. The hedge cutter attachment alone cost me nearly €400

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Ronney

On Sale again this week,

A year on anyone have any opinions as thinking of buying one for use on a fairly large domestic garden. (Sick of using multiple extension leads on existing tools!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ronney wrote: »
    On Sale again this week,

A year on anyone have any opinions as thinking of buying one for use on a fairly large domestic garden. (Sick of using multiple extension leads on existing tools!)

+1

I assume it has a 3 year warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Will be getting one of these and yes it has 3 year warranty... Have been reading up bout them and they are hit and miss... If ya get a bad one bring it back for refund...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭carbonceiling

my recommendation is to avoid it. I bought one a few years back. it was a powerful but tempermental creature and aged very poorly. starting it got more and more difficult and it would conk out just as you were getting into the job. The vibration from it left my hands tingling If I used it for any decent length of time. After much frustration, I eventually got rid of it in the skip a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

In fairness all power tools have their problems... Father has a chainsaw from aldi and it tackled just a big a branch as €600 husqvarna that we had with us on the day... And no lie if the husqvarna got too hot she wouldn't start where as the cheap hape a dirt aldi €99 tool kept going...

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭eireyiddo

I'd avoid this thing. It's trying to do too much if ye ask me. The bar with the cog end that drives each of the 4 accessories has worn now after 5 or 6 tough enough uses on a big garden. Ye kinda have to start it up easy and then starts slipping just when ye want it not too. Headwrecker now, gonna end up in the next skip on the road TBH. Cost me 20 quid a use. That's still cheaper and less hassle than renting one I suppose. I'm a glass half full person.

Do ye need a receipt, packaging or any of that for the 3yr warranty?

Before it goes to heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 32,739 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You tend to get what you pay for.

I know people that have had them for years without any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭StopWatch

Having had one a couple of years my experience, overall, has been mixed, but heading for very good.
    I've used it ALOT. On a homestead type setup. .
    It can be temperamental. And I've found the main issues have been in smaller parts being a bit cheap. Clasps and rivets and such. The main body and accessories have been pretty solid for me.
    I also think it can be a mixed bag what you get, some people have had trouble right from the start, and if that's how it seems, bring it back a.s.a.p
    Having said that, I myself definitely got my money's worth out of it. It has strimmed acres worth of grass and brambles, lopped numerous branches, and cut plenty of hedge. Tonnes and tonnes.
    I'm in a position to upgrade soon, and will, as it won't last much longer I imagine. But it was not a bad buy at all for me.

I got one last week and found the engine to be solid enough now... Starts first two or three pulls...found hedge trimmers to be pretty decent... Handy for me as now I don't have to be up and down off a ladder... Messed around with the branch cutter and haven't found that as good (maybe because I tried it out on fair big logs rather than branches) as far as I can see the chain needs sharpening... I was in the local hire shop two weeks back and it was €50 to hire same type tool for a day so with that pricewise it ain't bad for €160... I reckon if I get two years out of it doing the work I have IL be happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

This Lidl product looks very like the identical Chinese-produced [isn't everything?:) ] strimmer multitool combinations sold under various brands on line, one of which I purchased earlier this summer (2017). I have been very happy with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dauhee

I got one of the florabest 4 in 1 last month. Starts like a dream. After about 4 uses I noticed fuel mix was leaking around the engine block. On further inspection, 2 nuts were missing from the engine block, and the ones that were remaining were loose with no tension (next to go). Via lidl I raised a case with the company in Germany and had the nuts sent out so was back in action after 2 weeks.

First couple of uses I was able to run it till full tank of gas ran out, but now it cuts out due to overheating after 40 minutes. Might get another few minutes on subsequent restart. I've noticed it also will cut out if engine is turned sideways. I have a lot of work is very inconvenient.

I got a brush cutter from vidaxl.ie (86Eur) before this and had to send back as it cut out about 20 times on first use, and the spark plug hood came apart. Engine was solid and good power, so a pity.

P.S. for folks having excess vibration, make sure nut is fully tightened on brush cutter blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭mikefoxo

I'm guessing there's not a hope in hell this thing is still for sale? Or that it'll be for sale again in the next few weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

beertons wrote: »

Agree with all this. I changed the strimmer head to one of the auto laod ones. Think it was €30. Strimmer very good haven't used any of the attachments.

Advertisement