Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Seed and plant swap

• 08-11-2013 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

If you save your own seed and want to share or exchange it please let us know. Perhaps you have half a packet to spare or have an unusual type to recommend. Did you take too many cuttings and need to find a good home for them? Maybe there's something you'd like to try and think you might find it here. Or maybe come spring time you find you don't have room for all of those tomato plants that are filling up your window sills.
    Personal details should be exchanged via private message. Sales are expressly forbidden.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I am looking for large grasses/ reeds and bamboo from anyone in the dublin region who has them to spare for around a pond. I can offer in exchange. privet hedging or bare root copper beech.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

I am looking for large grasses/ reeds and bamboo from anyone in the dublin region who has them to spare for around a pond. I can offer in exchange. privet hedging or bare root copper beech.

Suggest caution if your pond is lined, I had a medium sized bamboo near my pond and it put shoots straight through a butyl liner....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 chocvine11

use galvanised bucket for growing bamboo in small area

• Registered Users Posts: 7 chocvine11

have some bean seeds from eastern Europe and some tomato,=pink oriental poppies,grasses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Would anybody have some Amish Paste seeds they'd like to swap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

heritage sweetcorn (multicolored) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Appreciate if anyone could help source or share a cutting from frangipani ( "eggflower") tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ladybirdbaby1

does frangipani grow in ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ladybirdbaby1

I've a lot of beautiful blood red poppy seed harvested from last year, i'm looking for ferns of all descriptions!

exactly like this:

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1207/4722982185_dd0406d967_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dave4565

looking for daylight neutral strawberry plants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

does frangipani grow in ireland??

Don't see why not, in a controlled atmosphere environment , ie greenhouse, that somewhat replicates it's natural tropical environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭miss choc

If anyone has any cuttings/spare seeds/small plants (cottage garden type plants) poppies, delphinium, foxglove, snapdragon, hollyhocks, sweet william, candytuft, iris, tulip, daffs primroses/primula esp perennials.
    I have cuttings of cotoneaster, mock orange, snow in summer, fushia wild geranium (pink), sedum (pink and trailing), californian lilac, rosemary, rose of sharon (yellow) and varigated hebe. Live in north Dublin prefer rooted cuttings or easy to grow seeds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Got Autumn Beauty sunflower seeds and Nicotiana. Will swap for peregoniums or any summer flowering plants.

Is the Nicotiana cutting or seed and are both easy to grow/perennials? I can give you some wine colour snapdragon, snow in summer and wild pink geranium cuttings for swap.

miss choc wrote: »
    Is the Nicotiana cutting or seed and are both easy to grow/perennials? I can give you some wine colour snapdragon, snow in summer and wild pink geranium cuttings for swap.

It's seed...taken from a previous years planting...i find it extremly easy to grow and will self-seed for years!

When do you grow both the seeds? I am a seed novice. Used to sticking a cutting in the soil and hoping for the best :) seeds can be hit and miss with me.

When do you grow both the seeds? I am a seed novice. Used to sticking a cutting in the soil and hoping for the best :) seeds can be hit and miss with me.

Start them indoors now...sprinkle the seeds onto compost and keep it damp. You could just sprinkle them directly onto the soil in a month or so but they'll get abetter chance if you staert them indoors.

If you live in North Dublin/city centre area I can give you some seeds cuttings for swap.

If you live in North Dublin/city centre area I can give you some seeds cuttings for swap.

Sure do...send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭ellejay

Hi Wildlifeboy

I have an out of date packet of selection of seeds you might be interested in?
    The catch is though that they're quite out of date 2008.
    "Feature Grasses" - hardy Perennials and Annuals

Agrostis Nebulosa
    Briza Maxima
    Festuca Glauca
    Melica Ciliata
    Setaria Machrocheata
    Stipa Tenuissima

A neighbour gave me a box of unused seeds, I've planted peppers and flowers from them last year and they grew successfully, dated 2006-2008.

I've no idea if the selection of grasses will grow though you're welcome to take a chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

redser7 wrote: »
    Would anybody have some Amish Paste seeds they'd like to swap?

Ive just planted all of mine, I not sure yet if I have any extra plants, where are you located (PM me). Or I can save some of the seed for you for next year. The packet didn't have a he amount of seed in it.

didn't have a huge amount that should read, it wont let me edit

Thanks a lot Tringle. I managed to get some from a kind soul in the UK so I'm sorted :)

Great, let me know how yours are growing. My seedlings seem weak compared to other tomato seedlings

They are actually nice and stocky, about 12 inches high now. I sowed them at the start of March and had them under lights for a while. I'm sure yours will bulk up with all the good light we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Technophobe

tringle wrote: »
    Great, let me know how yours are growing. My seedlings seem weak compared to other tomato seedlings

Amish Paste are known for their relatively sparse foliage, so they might just look weaker than your other plants due to this...
    I have one growing too..

Thanks, it was mid to late march when they were planted. I think from a full pack of seeds I got 12 plants, 6 planted and 6 just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have a low, clump forming variegated grass if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Technophobe

If anyone is interested in a swap of some chillis or peppers, I have the following available:

Sweet:
    2 Bell Boy
    1 Doux D'Espagne
    1 Pimento
    1 Yolo Wonder

Chilli:
    3 Anaheim (from saved seed)
    2 Filius Blue
    2 Habanero
    3 Lucky Dip i.e forgot to label :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Grindley

My attempts to get an artichoke plant to its second year (when I can harvest it) have been a dismal failure. Has anyone out there got an artichoke plant which is reaching that stage in its life cycle (later in the year) where it would benefit from root division. If so, I would be interested in talking to you. G

Advertisement