Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any Biologists here? Introduce yourself

• 08-10-2009 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how many users have a formal qualification in a Biological science and how many just have a general interest in all things Biological. :)

I studied Biology and Maths during my degree but Biology was my main subject and the one I chose to honour in. Then I moved on to a PhD, got my viva in 2001 and now work in Medical Communications.

Biology, what level are you at? 133 votes

I'm Studying Biology
    1% 2 votes
    I'm Qualified to Degree Level
    36% 48 votes
    I'm Qualified to PostGraduate Level
    27% 37 votes
    I just have a General Interest in Biology
    26% 35 votes
    Other
    8% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

4th and final year doing biomedical science in maynooth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

4th year Animal Science in UCD

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

BSc in Neuroscience. I've moved into psychology though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Degree in Biotechnology, which had a fair whack of biology for such an engineering thing, currently doing a GDip(possible Msc) in Biomedical sciences which also has a fair whack of all things biological :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Faith wrote: »
    BSc in Neuroscience. I've moved into psychology though.
    Something a good few people do alright, there's enough overlap to make the transition a bit simpler :)
    biomed32 wrote: »
    4th and final year doing biomedical science in maynooth
    My old stomping ground, great times :D

• Advertisement

great place, love it to bits!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

biomed 4

trying to go into med or else a masters in biomed

at the moment veering towards hospital lab work in either toxicology or haemotology

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Doing a MSc in Crop Protection and Agronomy, don't fear, I'm not an agriculturalist, I'm a biotechnologist who got lost :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mycosphaerella

taram wrote: »
    Doing a MSc in Crop Protection and Agronomy, don't fear, I'm not an agriculturalist, I'm a biotechnologist who got lost :P

But sure we are really 'Agriculturalists' or farmers of some sort at heart!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Crop protection and agronomy... ...now that's not something you hear about everyday! I'm a qualified (to degree level) computer scientist and industrial biologist; and I'm now doing a PhD in Chemistry over in York, UK! If it seems like I'm boasting, then yeh I guess I am! You all started it though... ... :p

I miss Biology.. It's the most interesting subject, and I'm lucky in the fact that my PhD is hinting more at Biochemistry, rather than just pure chemistry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

fifth year biomed here, majoring in haematology and transfusion science. \o/ loev for all things sciencey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Tree wrote: »
    fifth year biomed here, majoring in haematology and transfusion science. \o/ loev for all things sciencey
    Whoo for the science love :):) Living with a load of land managment students who don't understand the fun of science :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I know /scientists/ who dont understand the love of science

*sigh*

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I did my undergrad in computer science, worked in IT for 5 years, always had an interest in biology but it has become somewhat of an obsession over the last two years so in order to stop annoying my friends with things I find fascinating but they find mind-numbing I thought I better get some formal training to get it out of my system.

I'm currently doing a masters in med science, which is great because it allows me to study the aspects of biology that I'm most interested in, namely nutrition and metabolism, I can't say it's getting it out of my system though, if anything it's getting worse..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

You're doing a Masters in Med Science? - is that at NUIG by any chance? I know a girl who's doing a Masters courses there too, and in a course that could be that. I can't recall the exact title of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Doing Genetics and Cell Biology in DCU.

Loved Biology in secondary, hated science until fifth year and I got into biology. I never would have dreamed of doing a science course before that! Never did chemistry in secondary though so its a bit of a bitch now but ah well.

Biology rocks :cool:

In my second year by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

BSc in Applied Bioscience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Nebit

i study archaeology in UCD but take modules in anatomy as well:D im training to be a palaeoarchaeologist :cool:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Doing Genetics and Cell Biology in DCU.

Loved Biology in secondary, hated science until fifth year and I got into biology. I never would have dreamed of doing a science course before that! Never did chemistry in secondary though so its a bit of a bitch now but ah well.

Biology rocks :cool:

In my second year by the way
    Exact same as him (we're in the same course :p) Though I always new I was going into science, taught I'd go into physics until 5th year though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

PhD in Microbiology. General all round science nerd though.
    Currently trying to get to grips with this biotech muck you kids are all into these days!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Kevster wrote: »
    You're doing a Masters in Med Science? - is that at NUIG by any chance? I know a girl who's doing a Masters courses there too, and in a course that could be that. I can't recall the exact title of it.

Yep, that's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

BSc (Hons) in applied bioscience and currently finishing (woohoo!!) a research masters in biotechnology where I was working on phage lysins and protein crystallography :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

BA Microbiology and currently doing an MSc in Science Communication at DCU!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Undergrad in Biology, postgrad in Food Science then IT then Engineering...want to do my childhood passion of Astronomy next but my life has been very busy for the past few years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

parasite immunologist

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

adamski8 wrote: »
    parasite immunologist

Ah don't be so hard on yourself, not all immunologists are parasites! :pac: :D

Actually, that's a pretty cool area of research.

i laughed

shoot me :S

do you study whatever immune system parasites have or how the hoomons react to being nibbled on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭hardtrainer

Did my degree in Zoology and then moved to Neuroscience and Genetics for my PhD and continue to work in Neuroscience research

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mcrdotcom

Im 15 and still in school *sighs*

But I love all things science and especially Biology and Chemistry...

I love cytology and med science! (Basically I love the human body)

Advertisement