Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Thanks for all the replies. Will get onto my Dad and let him know his choices. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

E39MSport wrote: »
    I got a Simplicty Regent XL 18.5HP 40" mulching deck from Abbey garden sales in the UK for £1999.99 plus 200 delivery. I just saw one for 3300 here in Ireland. The thing is pretty amazing. I have a raised perculator bed which is about 2' high with 45 degree slopes and the tractor climbs it while cutting with ease. I'm very happy with it. Nice price too.

Just ordered one of these http://ww1.honda.co.uk/power/garden/detail.html?code=HF2417HM in the north and collecting it on Saturday. 2700 pounds, plus getting the mulcher thrown in. Looked at one locally and the price started at 4000 euro and after 45mins was down to 3500 euro, thats still 350 euro more than up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

dp639 wrote: »
    Just ordered one of these http://ww1.honda.co.uk/power/garden/detail.html?code=HF2417HM in the north and collecting it on Saturday. 2700 pounds, plus getting the mulcher thrown in. Looked at one locally and the price started at 4000 euro and after 45mins was down to 3500 euro, thats still 350 euro more than up north.

Equvilant(spelling??) in a Massey Ferguson is €2900. Briggs & Stratton engine is the main difference. All comes out of the castelgarden factory. Id say that v-twin engine is nice and quiet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Could anybody recommend a ride-on mower which would be capable of clearing briars, blackberry bushes etc.?

The garden was cut back but there are a lot of roots sticking up and some dead wood covered by grass. The roots about 8 - 10 millimetres in diameter.

Would this damage a ride-on mower or would it be able to deal with them?

Thanks,

danjo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

danjo wrote: »
    Could anybody recommend a ride-on mower which would be capable of clearing briars, blackberry bushes etc.?

The garden was cut back but there are a lot of roots sticking up and some dead wood covered by grass. The roots about 8 - 10 millimetres in diameter.

Would this damage a ride-on mower or would it be able to deal with them?

Thanks,

danjo

u would wreck it: u need to dig them out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There is a mower that would deal with them but it is not a ride-on, they are called rough terrain mowers and you have to drive them.
    This is an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Thanks Carlow and CJ. That definitely rules out the ride-on mower.
    The rough terrain machine looks interesting but since it will be a one off job I guess I will go for digging.

Thanks again for the replies,

danjo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

why don't you see about renting one? Most of the decent hire shops do these things. I've rented one before alog with a rotivator. Forget how much it cost though, but it wasn't huge money as I only had them for a day

Geezer1000 wrote: »
    Equvilant(spelling??) in a Massey Ferguson is €2900. Briggs & Stratton engine is the main difference. All comes out of the castelgarden factory. Id say that v-twin engine is nice and quiet though.

Picked up the mower on Saturday, could not believe the job it done, not a bit of grass left behind. And yes the v-twin is quiet, brought out my old push mower to cut a bit of slope I have (too steep for the ride on) and only then realized out quiet the Honda was.

Any one on here that sells/services Honda mowers. I've got a question regarding the manual, there's a part of it I don't quite get.

Picked up the mower on Saturday, could not believe the job it done, not a bit of grass left behind. And yes the v-twin is quiet, brought out my old push mower to cut a bit of slope I have (too steep for the ride on) and only then realized out quiet the Honda was.

Any one on here that sells/services Honda mowers. I've got a question regarding the manual, there's a part of it I don't quite get.

Whats the question? I may be able to help.

• Advertisement

Page 39-41 in the manual which is "6.2.1 MAINTENANCE AND GENERAL LUBRICATION",

Part a) "Periodic maintenance" shows a diagram and points to all the grease/oil points. But can't really work out which is grease and which is oil.

Part B on the next page shows this quite clearly - I am missing something here??

Thanks

Page 39-41 in the manual which is "6.2.1 MAINTENANCE AND GENERAL LUBRICATION",

Part a) "Periodic maintenance" shows a diagram and points to all the grease/oil points. But can't really work out which is grease and which is oil.

Part B on the next page shows this quite clearly - I am missing something here??

Thanks

Grease points will have grease nipples on them. (Probably one on both sides of the axle). Not sure about the oiling. Maybe the cables? To be honest I dont know of anyone who oils cables anyway. If you could scan the pages Id be able to tell you better

Thanks Geezer,
    Here is a link to the actual manual http://ww1.honda.co.uk/power/owner/manuals/lg/HF2315_2417_2620.pdf.

Might make more sense to you than me.

Thanks Geezer,
    Here is a link to the actual manual http://ww1.honda.co.uk/power/owner/manuals/lg/HF2315_2417_2620.pdf.

Might make more sense to you than me.

On page 42 of that pdf it shows all the grease & oil points on the mower. Ive never known anyone to do all this on a regular basis. Probably be a good idea before winter storage and before the season starts.
    A squirt of wd40 in all those joints that move will do the trick and get a grease gun for the front axle.

Those pictures are like an overhead view of the machine. The square blak thing signifies oil and the one with the lever on it is grease. Hope that makes sense

Cheers,
    Yeah page 42 makes sense to me, but its 41 that doesn't. It shows a bunch of points but doesn't say if it is grease or oil.

thanks again!

Cheers,
    Yeah page 42 makes sense to me, but its 41 that doesn't. It shows a bunch of points but doesn't say if it is grease or oil.

thanks again!

Seems to just show all the areas where maintenence is required, not necessarily oil/greasing. Eg check blades for sharpness, cracks on belts, engine oil level, battery condition etc.
    Not sure about the numbers 1.2 etc

Thanks for the help Geezer, much appreciated.

Most of it is probably overkill. Was surprised when reading through the manual that the blades should be replaced after 100 hours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

The battery-powered machines seemed quite expensive. So I bit the bullet.

I've just done my first cut with the Homelite this evening, and all is well! It's nice and light, so it's easily pushable, and it's got 7 height settings as well as the grass collector (which is maybe a little small...). Initial impressions are good, it feels solid so far and well put together, but we'll see how that works out as time goes by. Also, it's red and shiny.

Anyone else who's looking to buy one, they're 160 in the diy stores at the moment, and you should factor in another 20 quid or so to buy some engine oil (10W30) and petrol and can.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 noonand

Spotted this for sale on eBay - anyone know anything about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Gah - lesson - don't look at other places that sell mowers, not after you've bought one anyway. Argos are selling this one for 150, with a Briggs and Stratton engine (I've at least heard of them before!). Seems a good deal, except it's not red or shiny...:) Just thought I'd kick that out there, for anyone else's benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Chinese mower by the looks, B+S engine good but the rest of the mower will probably go before the engine.
    Parts may be a problem.
    I would either buy cheaper or a little more expensive, you can get good quality mowers from about 400 now, especially if you don't need a powered mower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Liz Adams

Hi

My husband has a Husqvana ride on mower and would like a trailer for it. The ones made by Husqvana seem to be very expensive in Ireland. I wonder if we could get another make, would it fit? Is there any where we can buy one cheaper? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

it depends what he wants it for, if he is going to put soil or a few weeds and branches in it.Have a look on ebay.co.uk they is loads to choose from, you can get a small one or a heavy-duty one. Just ask the seller how much to send it over. I think when i asked last it was 50 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

yeah, they tend to be flimsey, but if all he wants to do to haul rounds so tools and light stuff, it'll be grand.
    Ebays good as per cormy.......haggle with the vendor for a decent price on carriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Hi all,

Looking to buy a new lawn mower and im just looking for your suggestions. I have a medium sized garden and when we got it done ( 1 year ago) the gardener suggest a cylinder over a rotery. Just looking at the following two mowers http://www.qualcast.co.uk/cylinder/elan32.html (cylinder ) or http://www.qualcast.co.uk/rotary/powertrak34.html ( rotary ).

Just wondering how level does the garden have to be for a cylinder? will i have problems with the cylinder with sunken granite stepping stones? anyone had any problem with their Qualcast ?

Thanks for any info you can give ( hope i attached pix correct :o )

Cheers

cid:9YSP5SOxIr

Image1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Anyone got any views on lawn mowers ? Maybe if people dont know, they could point me in the right direction of a web site that reviews them with customer feedback..cant find any myself. Also Woodies and Atlantic dont sell the lawnmowers im looking at...where else do people go :confused:

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Cylinder mower I can see blade sharpening! Is this not the case???

I have a flymo hover mover 1900/ Its a pce of sh1te stay away from them. Make sure what ever you get has 4 wheels. I think mine is bad cause the weight of the grass slows it down and it cuts very bad when the grass is damp. I know this is normal but its very bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

gaz wac wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking to buy a new lawn mower and im just looking for your suggestions. I have a medium sized garden and when we got it done ( 1 year ago) the gardener suggest a cylinder over a rotery. Just looking at the following two mowers http://www.qualcast.co.uk/cylinder/elan32.html (cylinder ) or http://www.qualcast.co.uk/rotary/powertrak34.html ( rotary ).

Just wondering how level does the garden have to be for a cylinder? will i have problems with the cylinder with sunken granite stepping stones? anyone had any problem with their Qualcast ?

Thanks for any info you can give ( hope i attached pix correct :o )

Cheers

cid:9YSP5SOxIr

Image1.gif

I was going to get a cylinder mower because they are highly recommended but decided against it. I looked at that elan one but it seems to get quite a few bad reviews. Check here.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nicky28

Hi,
    Looking to get a ride on lawnmower either new or second hand. I reckon there may be better value in the north. Can anyone recommend anywhere in particular that I could contact?
    Thanks!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

If you buy secondhand private, then you don't have to worry about warranty.
    If you buy new,then consider warranty etc. If you live close to the border fine,but if you have to travel loads to get your faulty mower to the place you bought it, it could be a false economy.
    Truth is,there is good value here. Let no dealer tell you he's busy, new stuff is NOT SELLING! List prices mean nothing right now.

Advertisement