Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

When my old mower failed for the third time this year I decided that it was time for a replacement. In my research this thread was helpful, and I bookmarked the AM Rentals site in Newry that Famous45 gave here. I decided on the 36-inch cut Castelgarden that they has at €1890 and, as I live in the north-east, I expected that the delivery charge would not be too high.

I kept on with my research, trying to see if I could get as good a deal closer to home (trying to be a good neighbour by spending locally, and also in the hope of a more convenient place for service or repairs). I got a price of €1800 with free delivery here: http://www.monaghanhire.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=522&osCsid=doao43s2o336pgrikb343e47i6 . The free delivery might not be available to everybody; I live in the area they cover as part of their normal business. The machine is on its way right now, and I expect to have the grass cut before the day is out.

[I now have an old but usually serviceable mower needing its drive belt re-seated available free to a deserving cause.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mowers-ire

The burning smell is from belt, when you hit some the belt most likely burned in to the pulley... so you may have to replace the belt.... Black smoke indicates too much oil or even wrong grade of oil, best to drain out the oil and re-fill with SAE30 Lawmower oil most tractor mowers take 1.4l and replace oil filter when doing this... as far as i know Craftsman are imported from the usa direct and do not coming through a dealer network, (unlike Honda of John Deere) mean parts are not really availble here, and no dealer backup for service (this is why craftman mower are so cheap) also to the best of my knowledge they do no not carry a CE approved mark...
    You could try you Husqvarna dealer as frame, deck and some other parts match... so els maybe best to take it back to where you got it !!
    ;)

Droileen wrote: »
    Hi - I have an 18.5 HP CRAFTSMAN Lawn Mower for the past 3 years . I never had any problems with it until I bent a blade last week & got a "non expert" to put on new blades & service it - change the oil etc.

Problem is it is now pouring out thick black smoke & there is a burning smell when I go to engage the cutting blades.

Can anyone PLEASE HELP !!! or suggest anyone whom I can pay to come & look @ it.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mowers-ire

Good if your under 1/2 arce on flat ground the LR135 is good mower, if you have hill and more areas the LR175 is better for that scale of things tut tut has some shop soiled units are very good prices, i got a LR135 FOR €2,5K

kennyt wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone got any experience with John Deere either LR135 or LR175?
    Any prices on these?
    Looking into buying one myself.

Thanks
    Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

fryup wrote: »
    i take it, it doesn't matter what make you get as long as it has a briggs & stratton engine you should be safe??

Not necessarily. Engine ma be fine but the rest of the mower could be ****e.
    I can only speak from my own experience and that is to buy a Castelgarden made mower regardless of the sticker on the bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Just following up on my previous posting. I got my mower on Monday, and set it to work on some really long grass, areas of which had not been tackled this year because of my problems with the old mower. Going slowly and carefully, the machine was well able to handle it, so I give it a big thumbs up. The rear delivery is far better than the side delivery on my old machine. With side delivery, I would have spent a lot of time unblocking things, and I suffered no blockage at all with the Castelgarden.

I thank Geezer1000 in particular for guiding me the right way. Obviously I can't make informed comments on other makes, as I haven't experienced them. But now I don't need to check them out.

One small reservation: it seems to me that the Castelgarden is not well suited to slightly rough areas where I didn't mind using my old single-bladed Murray. Perhaps I am over-cautious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭smokingman

Little update on mine too....

As above, I got a second hand Castlegarden, 15.5 B&S engine, 42" cutting deck and made in '97 for 800 euro a few weeks ago. It was in good shape with only the front headlights not wired up anymore (but who seriously mows at night!).

I actually don't have a lawn yet (it's being sowed on monday - 1/2 acre) but I tried it on my parents-in-laws' lawn last weekend and I was frankly amazed at the cut. The blades aren't new but sharp all the same - previous owner took pride in keeping it running well thank god - and the rear collection box was dead easy to empty (if not a bit heavy...it's a big one).

So to anyone looking for one, I'll recommend them too....especially the older ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

smokingman wrote: »
    Little update on mine too....

As above, I got a second hand Castlegarden, 15.5 B&S engine, 42" cutting deck and made in '97 for 800 euro a few weeks ago. It was in good shape with only the front headlights not wired up anymore (but who seriously mows at night!).

I actually don't have a lawn yet (it's being sowed on monday - 1/2 acre) but I tried it on my parents-in-laws' lawn last weekend and I was frankly amazed at the cut. The blades aren't new but sharp all the same - previous owner took pride in keeping it running well thank god - and the rear collection box was dead easy to empty (if not a bit heavy...it's a big one).

So to anyone looking for one, I'll recommend them too....especially the older ones :)

wEATHER FORECAST IS PRETTY BAD UNTIL THE MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK. iD LEAVE OFF SOWING THE LAWN TILL THEN.

Ahhhh feckin caps lock:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Check out the Encore mowers. I bought one two summers ago and it abso fantastic email [email protected] Very fast and has good Briggs & Stratton engine. Got shipped over no probs, very nice guy to deal with (no connection).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I got a Simplicty Regent XL 18.5HP 40" mulching deck from Abbey garden sales in the UK for £1999.99 plus 200 delivery. I just saw one for 3300 here in Ireland. The thing is pretty amazing. I have a raised perculator bed which is about 2' high with 45 degree slopes and the tractor climbs it while cutting with ease. I'm very happy with it. Nice price too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 the twits

Can anyone advise me on buying a Petrol Mower? Ive been looking in B&Q, Woodies and Atlantic. I know Briggs and Stratten Engines are the best. Any advise or good/ bad experiences? I had a bad experience with a McCullough Honda Engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

firstly it depends on the size of your lawn,,,is it small, medium, large??

and i persume you're talking about a walk behind mower??

personally for an average size lawn (1/4 acre) i'd go for one with a 5-6 hp B&S engine, self drive with a decent size collection box.

Most makes have a B&S engine so you should be fairly safe there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tipptoggy

One dry weekend
    Two Castelgardens , two problems

The drive belt on my Castelgard id eon snapped today.
    So I wont to use the push yoke, and that won't start, looks like a carb, problem.

The dealer is on holiday, the lawn will look like the serengeti beopfre he gets back.

I've had both machine for 4 years now and they are generally good and solid. I have 2 acres to cut , mostly with the ride on the push job is for the smaller hard to get to areas.

I've hired and borrowed a John Deere but wasn't that impressed with it, the models I had seemed to be set up for the US where the grass is dryer and they couldn't really handle Irish wet gras, the chute kept getting blocked up.

I has a Husqvarna too, WAY too over engineered, too many things to go wrong on it (which it did every second time I took it out) , boy was I glad to get a few hundred in a trade in.

One pint abopuit mukching if you cut the lawn with any damp on it at all it usually doesn't work very well. It needs to cut it very fine ( really small pieces) and you need warm wather for it to braek down quickly... go figure on the Irish climate as the Ameicans say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I would concur with fryup on the b&s engines.,..think they are fairly bullet proof. The body of my own collapsed recently with rust and I journeyed around a number of lawnmower sales and servicing outlets seeking a body. Was told by all of them that if its a b&s engine the body will sure as hell give up first. Mind you though I would have thought Honda engines would have being good if their cars and bikes are anything to go by but suppose the rule doesn't necessairly follow through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

B+S are good engines no doubt but Honda are IMO better. Look at all the gensets around the place they are all Honda hardly a B+S to be seen.
    I have a B+S myself and it is a good reliable engine but not in the same league as a Honda for fuel consumption or smoothness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I have a mulching lawnmower - no collection box required. Definitely worth considering - just wear wellies or crappy old shoes when mowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I'd concur with the reliability of the B & S engines. Even after been laid up for the winter, mine will start on the first pull (although I do change the oil and spark plug first) and will do so each and every time afterwards.

HOWEVER, I cannot say the same for the body which is a Mountfield bought in B & Q. In 2 years, 3 of the wheels broke and fell off (they're plastic), the belt guard underneath snapped off and was chopped to bits by the blade and the handle snapped off. B & Q didn't want to know and referred me to Mountfield, who in turn referred me back to B & Q. You cannot get parts for Mountfields in this country (I was lucky that my local lawnmower repair man could get them through the north) and any phone calls to the UK will result in being told that they won't ship parts to Ireland.

I look after my machinery but the Mountfield is a piece of dung and I'd avoid at all costs. What you'll save initially when buying these cheap lawnmowers from B & Q, Woodies and the like will end up costing you a lot more trying to source parts and getting a replacement mower once you've learnt your lesson (like me!!). Better to go to your local dedicated lawnmower salesman and spend a little more for a more reliable machine.

IMO if you want a powered mower, then the Rover built in Australia is one of the best I have seen.
    They use a dry plate clutch of 100mm dia and don't rely on the poor quality cone type clutches that other mowers use.
    They also have a neat feature which is an attachment for a garden hose, when you have finished mowing you plug the hose on and turn it on, this washes the whole blade assembly down and leaves it clean.
    The other nice feature is a full width collection hole in the rear, This means better pickup of clippings, and one more thing is the blades are mounted on a circular plate, this gives a smoother flywheel effect and the small blades are easily replaceable if you try to cut stones;)

They aren't cheap but they are very good mowers.
    And they have a B+S engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jbehanx

Started up the lawnmower yesterday for the first time in two months ,and there is clouds of white smoke coming from it , i let it cool down , then put some 4 stroke oil in it (b & q brand for lawnmowers) and it made it even worst , any help please cos i don't know much about engines

• Registered Users Posts: 25 NickFromTipp

dunno dude. maybe try changing the oil? I'm guessin.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I know if a car is idle for a while then white exhaust fumes usually mean its burning of condensation, it could be the same with the lawnmower, but after that i'm unsure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

New Pope?

Seriously though, sounds like you over filled the oil or there might be a leak. Check the oil (always check cold) with the dipstick. Has it been sitting idol for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

Mine does that after its been started, usually the white smoke goes after a minute, agree it could be condensation in my shed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jobrok1

This happened to mime last weekend.

I had to tip the mower on its side after the blades got a lump of timber jammed in them. DIY carpentry I didn't clean up after properly.

I had just filled the petrol tank a few minutes before and I think some petrol had dribbled out the small vent holes into the exhaust while it was turned over.
    It spewed pure white smoke for about 5 minutes, but was grand afterwards.

So basically, it could probably petrol, oil or water in the exhaust.

How much oil is in the engine?
    The filler cap where you poured the new oil in will have a dipstick, the oil level should be at the maximum mark not above it.
    When you poured more oil you have probably overfilled it and it will smoke very badly.
    The best thing is to take it to a lawnmower repair place and get them to suck the oil out and refill with the correct amount.
    You risk blowing seals and other parts if the oil level is too high.
    No harm to get a service done as well, new plug, clean airfilter and sharpen the blade while you are at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jbehanx

Thanks Lads , think i'll bring it to get serviced before i mess it up altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

hi all can anyone point to the corect forum to ask a question about my ride on mower.

i need to know do the have a system like a car the charge the battery as i have just bought a second hand rideon and it wont hold the charge in the battery.

thanks
    Trevor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Normally the rideons charge the battery, maybe the charging system is faulty or the battery is not holding its charge in which case you need to get a new battery.
    A good test is for you to fully charge the battery and connect a bulb of the battery voltage across the battery and check how long it stays lighting.
    Each battery has an amp per hour rating, so if it is a 10 ah battery it should light a bulb with a current draw of 2 amps for 5 hours, or a 5 amp current draw for 2 hours etc.
    Hopefully I have explained that ok.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Normally the rideons charge the battery, maybe the charging system is faulty or the battery is not holding its charge in which case you need to get a new battery.
    A good test is for you to fully charge the battery and connect a bulb of the battery voltage across the battery and check how long it stays lighting.
    Each battery has an amp per hour rating, so if it is a 10 ah battery it should light a bulb with a current draw of 2 amps for 5 hours, or a 5 amp current draw for 2 hours etc.
    Hopefully I have explained that ok.

Run the battery down low enough and you will knacker it, if it isn't knackered already.
    The engine has an alternator and will charge the battery when running.
    If there is no charge then you will most likely need a new battery OR possibly one of the safety switches is staying on and draining the battery.
    My money would be on the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Hi guys, wondering if anyone here has bought a Homelite petrol mower (the 454 self propelled model, specifically)? They're on special in big garden/home stores at present, and I was thinking of buying one over an electrical. We have one of those little hover mowers at the moment and it's no good! 3-bed semi garden, but it's just not good enough.

Any thoughts on the Homelite?

This is the one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭mwexford

We have approx 1 1/2 acres of fairly flat ground, mostly grass interspersed with trees.
    We came across these 2 mowers from Croom Cycles and wondered if anyone has any experience of either of them.
    http://www.croomcycles.com/content/castel-garden-xg145hd
    http://www.croomcycles.com/content/castel-garden-13590-hydro-more-info
    They are both Castlegardens, the first is the Castle Garden 13.590 manual and the other is the Castle Garden 13.590 Hydro. They seem to be very competitively priced, and if they do what they say on the tin, hopefully one of them will suit us.
    Any thoughts on the manual v hydrostatic?
    Is the hydrostatic worth €400 extra?

Advertisement