Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Thanks anyway.

I suppose in hindsight it could have been a problem with the pulleys/guides rather than the belts. I found that if used in wet conditions, the wet belt would slip across the pulleys. Unfortunately, I used to use the mower in Galway where it's often wet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Whatever you do, do not purchase 1 in the ROI.

A family member purchased 1 last week in Newry after we had a conversation about it, a few people here were looking for €3,300 for the one he wanted, none of them would budge on it, he got it in Newry for €2,450. So shop around up North before you put your cash down

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Famous45 wrote: »
    Whatever you do, do not purchase 1 in the ROI.

A family member purchased 1 last week in Newry after we had a conversation about it, a few people here were looking for €3,300 for the one he wanted, none of them would budge on it, he got it in Newry for €2,450. So shop around up North before you put your cash down

What size cut, engine and what transmission as a matter of interest? Oh and what brand?

For me own curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭smokingman

Can I ask where in Newry he got it?

I'm in the same situation as the OP....looking to spend max of 1200 though but from reading the many posts on here, I think I'll need a non-mulching collector 12-13hp rear-discharge Castlegarden with collecting blades instead of the dual purpose ones.

Might be popping up there in the next few weeks for one. Wish me look.

smokingman wrote: »
    Can I ask where in Newry he got it?

I'm in the same situation as the OP....looking to spend max of 1200 though but from reading the many posts on here, I think I'll need a non-mulching collector 12-13hp rear-discharge Castlegarden with collecting blades instead of the dual purpose ones.

Might be popping up there in the next few weeks for one. Wish me look.

That spec machine with me will cost you €2400 if its any good to you. Massey Ferguson 2314 (made by Castelgarden), 13.5HP, 40" cut, mechanical transmission, collector blades.

• Advertisement

I really can't understand why they'd be so much cheaper up North. It's not a car where VRT would make such a difference. Granted VAT is lower, but not that much.

Not doubting anyone by the way, just curious.

No prob churchview.

This is the machine, http://www.esaleslocal.com/winride40bs17.htm and this is the website http://www.esaleslocal.com/ridemowers.htm

you can price it here and call the branch in newry to see what price you'll get, a dealer in Kildare was giving him it for €3,300 initially and dropped it to €3,200 I think, when he said he could get it cheaper in Newry he replied " yeah but if anything goes wrong with it we are only a short distance" usually the only issues with these things though is the belt.

Anyway he got it in Newry €750+ cheaper.

At the moment they quote £2390 on the website which is €2660, and was cheaper a few weeks back when the rate was more in our advantage

This guy in Achill wants €3650 http://www.achillhire.ie/index2.php?id=21&id_prod=132

€1000 more than Newry :eek::eek:

No prob churchview.

This is the machine, http://www.esaleslocal.com/winride40bs17.htm and this is the website http://www.esaleslocal.com/ridemowers.htm

you can price it here and call the branch in newry to see what price you'll get, a dealer in Kildare was giving him it for €3,300 initially and dropped it to €3,200 I think, when he said he could get it cheaper in Newry he replied " yeah but if anything goes wrong with it we are only a short distance" usually the only issues with these things though is the belt.

At the moment they quote £2390 on the website which is €2660, and was cheaper a few weeks back when the rate was more in our advantage

Thats an excellent price for that.

No prob churchview.

Any idea if they deliver down to here?

[Yes they do - it says do on their website]

I presume that if there's a warranty it would apply here as well (since machine was bought in the EU)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭pedigree

Hi,
    Here is another useful link:
    http://www.4ni.co.uk/0x9x14_lawnmowers-garden-equipment.htm
    Regards,
    Pedigree

Geezer1000 wrote: »
    That spec machine with me will cost you €2400 if its any good to you. Massey Ferguson 2314 (made by Castelgarden), 13.5HP, 40" cut, mechanical transmission, collector blades.

With my budget I'm looking for a second hand one.
    Anything to look for in particular when buying second hand that anyone would recommend?

With my budget I'm looking for a second hand one.
    Anything to look for in particular when buying second hand that anyone would recommend?

You can usually tell just by looking at a machine if its been minded or not. I have a few second hand 17.5HP, hydro machines at the minute. €18-1900.

You can usually tell just by looking at a machine if its been minded or not. I have a few second hand 17.5HP, hydro machines at the minute. €18-1900.

I was more looking at something for 1000-1200 :)
    Think I'll probably head up north but my brother in the states is looking into the cost over there and since he can ship it for around 200 euro, I might be lucky.

Looking at this for 800 plus the 200 = a grand delivered :)
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=288803-270-PONY&lpage=none

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

Id like to know how id he getting it over for 200 thats very cheap.

I was more looking at something for 1000-1200 :)
    Think I'll probably head up north but my brother in the states is looking into the cost over there and since he can ship it for around 200 euro, I might be lucky.

Looking at this for 800 plus the 200 = a grand delivered :)
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=288803-270-PONY&lpage=none

Youll be nabbed for customs fees aswell. That machine doesnt collect by the looks of it either.

cormywormy wrote: »
    Id like to know how id he getting it over for 200 thats very cheap.
    His company regularly ships stuff over in 40-foot containers and adding this into a shipment wouldn't be a big deal. I'm lucky in that regard.
    That machine doesnt collect by the looks of it either.

Nope, it's really hard to find a collector over there for some reason...
    If I push the boat out a bit on the price I could get this one below; I'll let you all know how I get on.
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100606994

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kennyt

Hi,

Anyone got any experience with John Deere either LR135 or LR175?
    Any prices on these?
    Looking into buying one myself.

Thanks
    Kenny

Anyone have an Alpine ride-on? Looking at a second hand one (15.5hp B&S engine, looks in good nick) and wondering if they're any good compared to a castlegarden or john deere..

Thanks in advance.

Anyone have an Alpine ride-on? Looking at a second hand one (15.5hp B&S engine, looks in good nick) and wondering if they're any good compared to a castlegarden or john deere..

Thanks in advance.

I assume you mean Alpina. I think they are a castelgarden.

• Advertisement

I assume you mean Alpina. I think they are a castelgarden.

ahh sorry, the "a" was smudged in the photo :)
    If they are just another rebadged castlegarden then cool, saw a mad cheap one second hand that I might need to go see now.

Cheers Geezer!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Be careful if your get a mulching or non collector type.

This is my John Deere LT 166, about 6 years old now and no problems...

I made up this attachment thou as when the grass is damp and long the grass sticks to the back wheels and falls off in clumps...

Now it's perfect and took less than half an hour to make!!

ahh sorry, the "a" was smudged in the photo :)
    If they are just another rebadged castlegarden then cool, saw a mad cheap one second hand that I might need to go see now.

Cheers Geezer!

Stick up a pic of it and ill tell you if its a castelgarden

Yup, it's a castlegarden alright - got it delivered last night and it's in great nick for 890 euros delivered - it's a '97 model but the previous owner seems to have taken good care of it.
    Mower pic

On a side note, I'm intending on giving it a good clean with a wire brush and paint (preferably spraypaint) it with some kind of rust oleum or plastic to protect the metal bits.

Does anyone have any recommended products for this job?

Yup, it's a castlegarden alright - got it delivered last night and it's in great nick for 890 euros delivered - it's a '97 model but the previous owner seems to have taken good care of it.
    Mower pic

On a side note, I'm intending on giving it a good clean with a wire brush and paint (preferably spraypaint) it with some kind of rust oleum or plastic to protect the metal bits.

Does anyone have any recommended products for this job?

Youll paint it with hammerite smooth just as quick as youll spray it.

3 things to check/do:

. Sharpen blades. When youre taking them off one side is left hand thread and the other is right hand thread.

.Check the wee dowels on the boss that the blade is bolted to. Should be 2 on each boss.

.Grease front axle. This is very important on these machines.

Best of luck with her.

Cheers for the advise Geezer, much appreciated!

Might even give the bodywork a bit of a touch up, maybe some decals, sound system.....cupholders.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Droileen

Hi - I have an 18.5 HP CRAFTSMAN Lawn Mower for the past 3 years . I never had any problems with it until I bent a blade last week & got a "non expert" to put on new blades & service it - change the oil etc.

Problem is it is now pouring out thick black smoke & there is a burning smell when I go to engage the cutting blades.

Can anyone PLEASE HELP !!! or suggest anyone whom I can pay to come & look @ it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Droileen

Would anyone know anyone that I could get to look @ my mower ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

take off the air filter, clean off the excess oil and run the engine until the oil which got in to the combustion chamber has burnt off.
    replace air filter if paper. clean air filter in washing up liquid or petrol if sponge.
    he turned the mower on it's side to change the blade and oil came up through a breather pipe from the sump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i take it, it doesn't matter what make you get as long as it has a briggs & stratton engine you should be safe??

Advertisement