Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Tomatoe plant leaf blotch

• 17-07-2019 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Hi folks. So this is my first time growing tomatoes, a project with my four year old as I want to get him into gardening. So our plants are in a grow house. Just 6 plants so he can manage them himself. Yesterday one of the plants had what looked like blotches on the leaves, today 3 of the 6 have the same issue. almost looks like they have been eaten fron the back. I can't see any flys or bugs.
    Can anyone offer any advice or solutions. My son will done heart broken if the plants all die so i would like to try save them if possible. I've attached a photo of the damage below

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Leaf damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Alice Fast Photograph

Is the damage on both sides of the leaf or is the grub between the membrane on either side?

Remove damaged leaves and destroy them. Shouldn't be a major issue.

From what i can tell it's just on the underside without going fully through any leaf. I cut off all the damaged leaves I could find but would it be worth spraying them with bug spray just to be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Make some ecofriendly garlic spray.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://homeguides.sfgate.com/garlic-juice-spray-bugs-tomatoes-44589.html&ved=2ahUKEwjM3Z3r2rzjAhVUTBUIHYgYB3sQFjABegQIDRAG&usg=AOvVaw3m-WexCnLoutoANTi21nD6

Edit, that looks like leaf burn. Usually the result of too much input of fertilizer or sudden heat and not enough moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

You get something like that if you splash the leaves when watering them with tomato feed.

• Advertisement

All of the above are possible. I let the little fella feed them two days ago and of course it went everywhere. It was a scorcher and there was a lot of direct sun on them for 5/6 hours. The last leaf I pulled off, took a closer look and saw these two little white fellas. If nothing else its a good learning curve for me and mini me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭macraignil

All of the above are possible. I let the little fella feed them two days ago and of course it went everywhere. It was a scorcher and there was a lot of direct sun on them for 5/6 hours. The last leaf I pulled off, took a closer look and saw these two little white fellas. If nothing else its a good learning curve for me and mini me

Watering should be directly to the roots and done in the evening or early morning as much as possible to avoid the leaves of plants getting scorched by the sun. The small white things in the photo could be incidental aphids that I would not worry about unless the numbers get out of control. They are food for hover flies and lady birds and other insects which normally control their numbers unless you start spraying.

macraignil wrote: »
    Watering should be directly to the roots and done in the evening or early morning as much as possible to avoid the leaves of plants getting scorched by the sun. The small white things in the photo could be incidental aphids that I would not worry about unless the numbers get out of control. They are food for hover flies and lady birds and other insects which normally control their numbers unless you start spraying.

That makes sense. I'll keep an eye on them over the next week. I would prefer not to spray them at all because he tends to go out and start munching on the mini crops without washing anything . Thanks again

Advertisement