Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BullBauld

deezell wrote: »
    That mower is made by the GGP group, Stiga, Alpina, Mountfield, castelgarden. Quality starter size twin blade ride on with a non synchronous cutting head.
    Just because you're getting finance doesn't mean you have to pay the full list price. That mower is knocking around for about €200 less.
    https://www.mchaleagri.ie/shop-honda-husqvarna/garden-tractors/mountfield-1530h-ride-on-lawnmower/

The seller will get whatever deal price you can strike from the lenders. better to borrow from the Credit Union. A bag of cash and no trade in is any retailers dream. If you do raise your finance elsewhere, there are a few alternatives to this for around the 2,500 mark, maybe bigger and better. Its only a 33" cut, decent size engine for that though. but perhaps that's big enough for you if you have smallish sites.

For the same price you're being asked, you can get this Castelgarden, extra 14cm wider cut and bigger 500cc engine.
    https://www.hanlysgardenmachinery.ie/product-information/xdc170hd-castelgarden

Exact same mower as the Castelgarden above is this Alpina, bang for your Buck if you are willing to buy online, same Maker as Mountfield and Castelgarden, (GGP). Free trailer with it too.

https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/alpina-bt-98-hcb-ride-on-mower-grass-collector-briggsstratton-500-cc-engine-p-12634.html

See if your dealer can match Hanly's price for the Castelgarden, (i'm sure they can supply them) and then do the finance at that price.

Cheers for reply. We've moved away from finance as it was working out at mad money.

I like the look of that Castlegarden. Nice big cutting deck.

I'll see what the 'ol man' thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

plenty going secondhand on donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭deezell

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

plenty going secondhand on donedeal
    Agreed. Get your hands on this for say 2400, masterful machine. 43' cut, 22hp v twin engine.

https://www.donedeal.ie/gardenequipment-for-sale/viking-mt5112-ride-on-mower/22227928

is it yours Deezell ?? ;)

fryup wrote: »
    is it yours Deezell ?? ;)
    No. Mine is a 6127ZL, 50" cut savage yoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

My house that I moved into 6 months ago has a dirt/gravel back area between the house and grass, with some minor debris in it. It's in this area I have my mower parked with a heavy tarp while my new shed is being built

Came home yesterday to find the right side tyres on my mower completely flat. Must have run over something on the gravel :(

My mates coming by with compressor later as he is experienced resealing the bead on the tyres to see if the puncture is bad and what can we do. Frustrating to have 2 flat tyres on a mower that has 10hrs on it.

You better find what caused it or it'll happen again. A buried bit of timber with a nail in it or a sharp piece of metal. Could be in the grass.

ride on punctures are a pain to fix....my local tyre fitter sighs everytime i bring him one

It's easy enough to fix puncture btw, you just stick a patch to the inside of the tubeless tyre over the hole. You might struggle to get it over the rim, you'll need a couple of levers of flat steel. Maybe nowadays people don't have a puncture repair kit, but with all the bikes these days..

Once fixed, Ill park it on my patio for the time being, nice smooth brick and keep covered until the shed is done.

Mate that is coming over this eve is pretty handy fixing these, so i'll leave it to him.

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    It's easy enough to fix puncture btw, you just stick a patch to the inside of the tubeless tyre over the hole. You might struggle to get it over the rim, you'll need a couple of levers of flat steel..

thats what he struggles with

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭blackbox

My house that I moved into 6 months ago has a dirt/gravel back area between the house and grass, with some minor debris in it. It's in this area I have my mower parked with a heavy tarp while my new shed is being built

Came home yesterday to find the right side tyres on my mower completely flat. Must have run over something on the gravel :(

My mates coming by with compressor later as he is experienced resealing the bead on the tyres to see if the puncture is bad and what can we do. Frustrating to have 2 flat tyres on a mower that has 10hrs on it.

I use plugs on mine. Usual cause for me is hawthorn. No need to remove the tyre. Also, small compressor is a very handy thing to have.

blackbox wrote: »
    I use plugs on mine. Usual cause for me is hawthorn. No need to remove the tyre. Also, small compressor is a very handy thing to have.

Do you use a small compressor like that found in cars, or something with a bit more pressure behind it.

Do you use a small compressor like that found in cars, or something with a bit more pressure behind it.
    I do anyway, think it cost €15. Owes me nothing. Plugs are great too, for cars and lawn tractors, but for a side wall puncture on a mower (sharp shrub cutting, wire fence etc), a patch inside is a better job.

Popped the wheels off easy enough and got them fixed, Guy put tubes in them said it would be better. That sound right to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Where are you buying the plugs.
    I tried Halfords without any joy.
    Is it an online job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭blackbox

Berberis wrote: »
    Where are you buying the plugs.
    I tried Halfords without any joy.
    Is it an online job?

Yes, Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Yes, Amazon.

Cheers for that.
    Must have a search and invest in some.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joehayes999

I have a 12 year old simplicity regent 22hp twin blade tractor mower. I did some work, sharpening blades, replacing a bearing and pulley and somehow it seems the blades are rotating in the wrong direction. This means that I had to swap the blades between the 2 sides and the blades are rotating in the direction that the bolt locking them is loosening which is breaking the shear bolts that hold it in place. Normally I would think the drive belt is on wrong but it is a straight run between the engine pulley, pulley driving the deck and a spring loaded pulley that keeps the tension. I cannot see any other way it could be.

The parts manual for the mower is here - (delete the space)
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/153479/ Simplicity-Regent-2690783.html

Anyone got any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Did you take both of the bearing casings off? Just wondering if you put them on the wrong sides? One will have a left hand thread and the other a right hand thread swap them over and you'll get the problem you indicate.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    Did you take both of the bearing casings off? Just wondering if you put them on the wrong sides? One will have a left hand thread and the other a right hand thread swap them over and you'll get the problem you indicate.
    Fully agree. Swapping blades makes it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Had several flat tyres due to hawthorn myself...fixing gets expensive.

Used "slime" bicycle tyre sealant instead...no more flat tyres since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭NSAman

Ya can't beat a Deere. Get yourself an X739 with the 60 inch board.

I mow 8 acres every 4 days and I have to say, the place looks amazing. OK its costly, but I am saving a fortune from contractor rates for the same thing. Servicing is every 50 hours of mowing which is an oil change. The quick release mowing deck allows me to sharpen blades where necessary. One year complete maintenance is relatively inexpensive here in the States.

Mowing takes about 5 hours for 8 acres... depending on growth and pattern required... ok I am OCD....

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Hi All, can someone advise why my Mount field ride on mower (Manual blade engage) works fully when starting initially. Then after I empty full bag the blades will not engage. I can sometimes get them to engage after a few goes of starting/stopping engine but other times I leave it for an hour, come back and it may start blades again.

coxy123 wrote: »
    Hi All, can someone advise why my Mount field ride on mower (Manual blade engage) works fully when starting initially. Then after I empty full bag the blades will not engage. I can sometimes get them to engage after a few goes of starting/stopping engine but other times I leave it for an hour, come back and it may start blades again.

Best guess without seeing it is that the blade belt needs replacing.

They wear thin and when they don't engage and drive the blades you get another wear spot. Once a warn belt engages it will keep going but obviously will warm up and stretch a tiny bit, at the end of its life with the wear on it plus flat spots it may not start moving when hot.

Basically try a new belt and see how you go.

NSAman wrote: »
    Ya can't beat a Deere. Get yourself an X739 with the 60 inch board.

I mow 8 acres every 4 days and I have to say, the place looks amazing. OK its costly.....
    At about €15,000 here, you're not wrong there. I could buy three Stihl/Viking 50 inch mowers for that.
    Mowing takes about 5 hours for 8 acres... depending on growth and pattern required... ok I am OCD....
    1.6 acres/hour. I mow 1.3 acres weekly in 40 minutes.
    Are you saying you spend 5 hours every 4 days mowing a public park sized garden? You need a bigger mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

my3cents wrote: »
    Best guess without seeing it is that the blade belt needs replacing.

They wear thin and when they don't engage and drive the blades you get another wear spot. Once a warn belt engages it will keep going but obviously will warm up and stretch a tiny bit, at the end of its life with the wear on it plus flat spots it may not start moving when hot.

Basically try a new belt and see how you go.

Thanks for advice - I'd say you are correct. Are these something I could replace myself.

coxy123 wrote: »
    Thanks for advice - I'd say you are correct. Are these something I could replace myself.

If you are anyway practical then its definitely a DIY job, if you don't have the manual then take pictures with your phone as you dismantle particularly the belts.

Many can be changed with the deck in place but if you have never done this before then it can be easier on some decks to take them off to change the belt at least then you have a top down view of what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Hi folks. I haven't read the whole thread and a search using the phone seems to search the whole of boards.

Has anyone come across this issue before. I have a Stiga Estate ride on. I'm having an issue where the blades are very slow to engage and eventually won't engage at all once I've been mowing for a while. Say 30 mins of so. Once I leave it for a while it works away grand again for a while.

I take it there is some sort of issue with the clutch assembly when it gets hot. Would this mean a new clutch or is there some adjusting that can be done?
    Any ideas?

• Advertisement

As above sounds like the belt is nearly worn out.

Advertisement