Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Fuchsia height problem

• 16-07-2019 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭djh2009

I bought a Fuschia "Britney" a couple of years ago and when bought it was at least 2 to 3 feet tall. After dying off , when it comes back the next season it grows no higher than 6 inches in height but is a healthy colour. Any ideas why it's not regaining the height it once had ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭djh2009

Just bumping this in the hope that someone may reply. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

How did you store it over the last winter? Is it in the ground or still in a pot? Have you been feeding it or did you re-pot it into new compost?
    Keep it moist but not wet during the winter if possible, prune back any weak growth next spring, feed it well and keep it outdoors in a sunny spot. Plants when bought have been grown in ideal conditions and it's difficult to replicate them in your garden, but if it's healthy but small it sounds like a feeding/compost issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had one of those, I think the issue was that it didn't start growing till early summer and just didn't have time to get any height on before it flowered, then died off again. As lottpaul says, they are started in ideal protected conditions that they are just not going to get in an ordinary garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Reed Hot Fingernail

I have always had the same issue with Fuchsia. Only grows to a max of eight inches, flowers and dies off to start new growth from the based the next year.

I've tried several varieties in different locations, but no change in growth habit. Go up the road and it's growing rampant in hedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭djh2009

I moved it in to greenhouse over the winter. I still have it in a pot. I would have re-potted it in to a bigger pot a couple of years ago.

I will take on board the advice that you have all offered and many thanks for your replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement