Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Lawn advice

• 16-07-2019 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for some lawn advice.

I have a small garden, about 50sq metres. Its surrounded by high walls so at least half is in shade for most of the day. Growing grass is a challenge due to the shady conditions and moss…

To help improve my ‘lawn,’ I spread some Miracle-Gro EverGreen Complete 4 in 1 (feeds and kills weeds and moss), last week. By yesterday most of the moss had turned brown so I used a scarifying rake to remove it along with the other dead undergrowth.

All good except now I have very little grass left. I was going to re-seed with a grass + white clove mix but after checking the Miracle Gro box it seems that I must wait 8 weeks. Is there any way around this (e.g. If I covered with a thin layer of top-soil before seeding)?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Yes it sounds like taking the moss out has removed most of the lawn. There's nothing wrong with overseeding a this stage. I'd throw down a light layer of topsoil or peat moss and then spread some seed over the area. Then mix it in with the back of the rake so the seed sits just bekow the surface. Water daily for the next 6 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Alu

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.
    Yes it sounds like taking the moss out has removed most of the lawn. There's nothing wrong with overseeding a this stage. I'd throw down a light layer of topsoil or peat moss and then spread some seed over the area. Then mix it in with the back of the rake so the seed sits just bekow the surface. Water daily for the next 6 weeks or so.

Advertisement