Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Lidl - 4 in 1 petrol strimmer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭ozmo

Looking for one of these - are they available buy online anywhere?

The attachments look ideal for my purpose.

“Roll it back”

dauhee wrote: »

I was just about to buy the one below - £139.99 - it's almost the same but with without the safety gear included...

It is Amazon though which means free shipping and great if anything goes wrong... so.. choices...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TRUESHOPPING%C2%AE-GARDENERX5-PETROL-FUNCTION-INCLUDING/dp/B004X9TTJC

q?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=B004X9TTJC&Format=_SL250_&ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=GB&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=srchid-21

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dauhee

yeah ebay are very good to deal with also, maybe not at same level as amazon, although I had to return brush cutter from ebay I bought few months ago, was no issue. If looking to get the cheapest chain oil and 2t oil, agri direct is the way to go. If get over 70Eur of bits, get free postage. Happy gardening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

theparish wrote: »
    So I bought one of these from lidl 3 weeks ago.Just unboxed it yesterday due to bad weather last few week.There was also serious vibration from the engine while not being used.
    A 2-stroke motor will do that on tickover. It's not a fault, they're not as smooth-running as a 4-stroke due to their design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 jc500

First day out the cast metal on the chainsaw attachment broke, very flimsy, wouldn't like to use that chainsaw close up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

was looking to get one of these for hedge trimming and occaisonal branch lopping. but local lidl sold 3 pallet loads in 45 minutes

so now thinking of getting a hyundai version
    https://www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/hyundai-hymt5080-petrol-5-in-1-multi-tool.html

was looking to get one of these for hedge trimming and occaisonal branch lopping. but local lidl sold 3 pallet loads in 45 minutes

There are some that look identical available on amazon.co.uk all year round for around 150 euros ish.

This one is 150 pounds - but has a load of safety gear included and all the cutting attachments:

https://amzn.to/2Lw8dss

“Roll it back”

im not in Dublin for a few weeks, anyone know if these are available down Munster way?
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Garden-Hedge...oAAOSwAKxWUuyW
    LIdl.

fryup wrote: »
    am i right in saying these 4 in 1 multi tools (of whatever make) are a jack of all trades but master of none?? i.e. they do an average job compared to one that's designed for one specific job??

No, the motor section detaches from the tools, each of the tools is fit for purpose in itself. Depends what your purpose is; own garden maintenance, yes, commercial work, no.

• Advertisement

The most expensive part of any strimmer, hedge cutter, etc.should be the engine. The incremental cost for the additional attachments in a 4 in 1 should be much less than buying several single purpose tools. I'd expect to pay a bit more for a 4 in 1 than a single purpose tool, I'd expect to pay much less for a 4 in 1 than four separate tools without sacrificing any quality. It boils down to how good / reliable the engine is.
    +1, I got the identical machine on line last year and can't fault it. After being stored (properly, with the tank run dry!) over the winter, it started this spring on the second pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,783 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

jc500 wrote: »
    First day out the cast metal on the chainsaw attachment broke, very flimsy, wouldn't like to use that chainsaw close up.

My neighbour cut a load of thick Leylandi with no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭blackbox

I bought one of these, mainly for the pole saw attachment.

I find the pole saw excellent. There were poor instructions for the chain oiler, but I was familiar with these.

I tried the strimmer and it works very well. However it is noticeably heavier than a petrol strimmer that I already had.

I have not really used the hedge cutter. Unfortunately the hedge cutter can only be used with the long extension - you can't use it as a regular short hedge cutter (or if you can, I'd love someone to tell me how)

One tip is to make sure the clamp for the attachment is always good and tight. I did a little damage to mine when it vibrated.

so now thinking of getting a hyundai version
    https://www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/hyundai-hymt5080-petrol-5-in-1-multi-tool.html

bought this in the end got to a few high branches and hedges at the weekend worked fine nothing broke, the shaft the joins the extension seems better than the electric ones i had which broke - this is a seprate splined shaft. obvously some power loss down the shaft when you have a 3 meter shaft but happy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,740 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Screwfix do a decent deal on their Titan version of this tool.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Screwfix do a decent deal on their Titan version of this tool.

25cc motor vs the 52cc on the hyundai though that may be a good thing !

and the one im looking at doesnt have a chainsaw

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Blagadan

I bought one of these 4-in1 Parkside multi-tools yesterday and I did some work with it lastnight.

First off, the gripes:
    The instructions are piss poor.

The double shoulder harness seems only suitable for a right handed person. I am left handed so it was a bit akward for me to use.

The drive shafts in the attachments are not retained in the tubes, so they can slide out of position which makes it a pain to assemble the various attachments to the main body of the machine. I fought with the strimmer shaft for ages before it finally clunked into place. This is a bad design. An even worse solution provided by the manufacturer was to provide removable rubber hoods to hold the shaft in place when the attachments are not in use. Why they didnt retain the shafts in place is beyond me. I was close to giving up and returning the unit at one point lastnight.

But once I moved past that and started using the machine, I was very impressed.

I filled the machine with premix and primed the pump and it started on the first pull. I don't think I've ever had that happen with a brand new machine before. The choke popped in as soon as I pulled the throttle trigger, and needed no further choking after that. It revved up without hesitation and ran flawlessly for the following hour or so as I tried the different attachments. I did several hot starts over the course of the evening with no problem, no choke needed.

It has a powerful motor which cuts tall grass & weeds with ease. The string head and brush cutting heads work well, no issue there.
    The hedge cutter also works well, but with the extension pole fitted, the whole lot becomes quite heavy and a bit unwieldly. You will get a good workout cutting tall hedges, thats for sure.

I also tried the little chainsaw. It was bit of a fiddle to assemble but it eventually slotted together properly and worked very well cutting through 6-8" branches. Probably more suited to cutting 3-4" branches or disembowelling zombies from a safe distance :-).

The machine is a good bit heavier than my older curved shaft strimmer so I'll be looking for a more comfortable double harness suited for lefties in the near future.

Overall, I'm impressed but i am very interested in hearing other reviews on this tool too. Anything I should look out for?

how long will it last, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Blagadan wrote: »
    I bought one of these 4-in1 Parkside multi-tools yesterday and I did some work with it lastnight.

First off, the gripes:

The double shoulder harness seems only suitable for a right handed person. I am left handed so it was a bit akward for me to use.

The drive shafts in the attachments are not retained in the tubes, so they can slide out of position which makes it a pain to assemble the various attachments to the main body of the machine. I fought with the strimmer shaft for ages before it finally clunked into place. This is a bad design. An even worse solution provided by the manufacturer was to provide removable rubber hoods to hold the shaft in place when the attachments are not in use. Why they didnt retain the shafts in place is beyond me. I was close to giving up and returning the unit at one point lastnight.

I filled the machine with premix and primed the pump and it started on the first pull. I don't think I've ever had that happen with a brand new machine before. The choke popped in as soon as I pulled the throttle trigger, and needed no further choking after that. It revved up without hesitation and ran flawlessly for the following hour or so as I tried the different attachments. I did several hot starts over the course of the evening with no problem, no choke needed.

It has a powerful motor which cuts tall grass & weeds with ease. The string head and brush cutting heads work well, no issue there.
    The hedge cutter also works well, but with the extension pole fitted, the whole lot becomes quite heavy and a bit unwieldly. You will get a good workout cutting tall hedges, thats for sure.

I also tried the little chainsaw. It was bit of a fiddle to assemble but it eventually slotted together properly and worked very well cutting through 6-8" branches. Probably more suited to cutting 3-4" branches or disembowelling zombies from a safe distance :-).

The machine is a good bit heavier than my older curved shaft strimmer so I'll be looking for a more comfortable double harness suited for lefties in the near future.

Overall, I'm impressed but i am very interested in hearing other reviews on this tool too. Anything I should look out for?

Out of curiosity, how much and are these a special atm or was it just stock leftover?

Out of curiosity, how much and are these a special atm or was it just stock leftover?

gardening special yesterday 27/06
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?id=845

my hyundai is still going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Blagadan

Special offer on 27 June 2019.

€159.99.

There were half a dozen guys waiting outside the store at 8am to grab one, so I'm assuming these are a hot ticket item?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Have bought a couple of these (Florabest) over the years. They cost €150 odd .... maybe not as good as Honda or Sthil versions but also cost about 1/3 of the price. For a DIY user they are fine .. they usually last me about 20-30 hours of usuage. Thats about 2-3 years work.

Also because I have bought maybe 3 or 4 of these over the last decade, I can mix and match acessories when they break/wear out.

They are a buy from me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Blagadan wrote: »

First off, the gripes:

Watch out for the fuel mix. If theres too little Two stroke in the mix...you will damage the cylinder ...end of engine. Too much two stroke ... it will struggle to start and splutter on turn over.

Rough use will break bits ... the chainsaw atachment tends to be the first that breaks on me.

Other than that ... its just wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,943 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I got one too and it seems pretty decent so far (about 3 hours of usage of hedge trimmer and pruner)

The harness is fiddly (and I'm right handed) and the instructions are awful, but I figured it out in the end.
    Attaching the extension poles can be a pain in the ass if the drive shafts move as they wont align and so wont fully lock in.
    The rubber end caps to protect the exposed drive shafts are also a bad design, they will not last long.

My main issue is that the quick release connector for the harness broke after 1 hour (the studs pulled through the red material) so I ended up having to use my own caribiner...so its now a slow release.

Chainsaw had no issues on 6-8" branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭boxty

Hi, I got one of these and assembled it today but nothing happens when I press the throttle is strimmer head doesn't spin. Ive checked assembly several times but no joy. Has anyone had this issue or any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭plodder

Old thread, and long shot probably, but has anyone replaced the chainsaw chain on one of these? I'm wondering what to order exactly. It is Oregon Double Guard 91, but not sure of the length ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

plodder wrote: »
    Old thread, and long shot probably, but has anyone replaced the chainsaw chain on one of these? I'm wondering what to order exactly. It is Oregon Double Guard 91, but not sure of the length ..

Have you got the instruction manual? I had to replace the spool for the strimmer and the harness (not under warranty - my own stupidity) they were able to sell them to me. It was 25eur for both parts including delivery. Kompernass is the company. Some parts are available on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Count the number of drivelinks on the inside to know the length of chain.
    91 is 3/8 x 1.3 mm
    You can get the chains made up by any chainsaw shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dauhee

get a chain sharpner. I got one out of lidl for 20 eur and works great

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

This is the wrapper for the actual chain that came with my strimmer. By coincidence I found it the garage tonight.

A quick google suggest its 91 3/8 40cm.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,943 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I bought two of these and they are perfect.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302968662666

Advertisement