Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think it is two different types of ragwort. The one growing is common ragwart, not sure about the other, the leaves seem to be different but its a bit dead looking to know.

• I'd say both Common Ragwort

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭macraignil

It could be verbascum nigrum.

I just bought a verbascum and as New Home was saying the leaves look a bit different to the plant in the video clip. I think it is yellow loosestrife as lottpaul and speedsie were suggesting.
    Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Hughsie75

I'll take a wild guess at a dahlia, so could be capsid bugs, and spraying with insecticide or soapy water is necessary

I think you're right with the Dahlia suggestion - i definitely planted 2 types of Dahlia.
    I'll try the soapy water...

Thanks!!

Here are some more pix:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Found this hidden in my parents' garden today. Superb colours.

484511.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

^^^^

Escallonia Gold Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭standardg60

Hughsie75 wrote: »
    I think you're right with the Dahlia suggestion - i definitely planted 2 types of Dahlia.
    I'll try the soapy water...

Thanks!!

Here are some more pix:

Capsid bug alright..spray any that you can see aswell as the plant and the compost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Be right back

Anyone know what this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Anyone know what this is?

Looks like Selfheal, do you have a side on shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Be right back

Hope this picture is clear.

• Advertisement

Yeah, looks like Selfheal, sort of square hairy stalk. Bees love it, grows in shady, damp part of a lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Have that in my garden, it looks kinda like a type of clover but not clover. Lovely wildflower though

MacDanger wrote: »
    Have that in my garden, it looks kinda like a type of clover but not clover. Lovely wildflower though

Yes, clover has trefoil leaves (like a shamrock), Selfheal had dagger shaped leaves. Here's a photo with both in it.
    https://imgur.com/a/dAg8kyH

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Granite Head

Another one I am looking for help on - pink and white flowered perennial.

TIA

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Lightning Seeds, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Bit hard to make out, but I think they could be snapdragons - antirrhinums.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 itsme2

Anyone know what this is and how would you go about killing it off. Always a bright green colour, growing in lawn, have tried moss killer but has no affect on it.
    Keeps expanding in area. basically smoothers grass and over takes it.

Thanks,
    Kev

itsme2 wrote: »
    Anyone know what this is and how would you go about killing it off. Always a bright green colour, growing in lawn, have tried moss killer but has no affect on it.
    Keeps expanding in area. basically smoothers grass and over takes it.

Thanks,
    Kev

Looks like Mind Your Own Business. I'd say a regular broad leaf herbicide would kill it. It's not a moss, so moss killer would have little effect.

I've tried to get it established before with little luck (wanted something to mimic a moss garden), so I've no experience of it growing at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I was just about to post a photograph of Selfheal for ID - and as with MacDanger I've found it's hard to photograph with a point and shoot camera! I noticed these appearing this evening - here is my attempt.

2VkSN.jpg

However I also have this to ID, its about a metre high at this point and is a single example which is odd. Plants tend to come in clusters.

2VkSS.jpg

2VkST.jpg

However I also have this to ID, its about a metre high at this point and is a single example which is odd. Plants tend to come in clusters.

2VkSS.jpg

2VkST.jpg

Is it a wild oats plant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Thanks, looks like it having googled the name. I'll leave it be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Hi, can anyone identify this plant, it has just finished flowering, bright yellow flowers, & now has these pods, wondering can I reuse them some else in the garden. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭standardg60

coathanger wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone identify this plant, it has just finished flowering, bright yellow flowers, & now has these pods, wondering can I reuse them some else in the garden. Thanks for your help.

It's a tree peony..some are infertile and won't produce viable seed and most won't be true to the parent plant, but you can read more up on them if you want to give raising from seed a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭finla

Would anyone know what this might be please? It appeared this year and is spreading. It's got purple square stems (on the young growth anyway). Cheers.

• Looks like Angelica

Hi,
    Just made short video clips of two plants in the garden and I am interested in finding out what they are.

There is one that I planted a few years back but have forgotten what it is. It is about 2 metres tall and sprouts up to flower about this time each year since I planted it. It is not very easy to make out on the green background but it has leaves that are very segmented and it has bunches of small flowers at the end of tall stalks.

There is also this wild plant that I did not weed out in the spring when tidying up around a newly planted mixed hedge. It has spread fairly quickly to form a thick enough mat and the flowers are tiny. It seems to be more like a weed than a wild flower so if someone can confirm it is not something useful I might remove it to help the common daisy, the gooseberry and the olearia shrub that it is growing around.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,920 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is the first one yarrow?

is the first one yarrow?

It is similar but the yarrow I have growing elsewhere seems to have thinner leaf segments.

• The second looks like Lesser Swinecress, Lepidium didymus, no harm in it but most gardeners would consider it a weed

The second looks like Lesser Swinecress, Lepidium didymus, no harm in it but most gardeners would consider it a weed

Looked at the photographs online and it looks like you have identified it alright. Thanks!

I think I will dig it out since I only just planted the gooseberry cuttings that it is growing over so I want to help them settle in. It's their first year growing there and they wont have a full root system yet so might not be able to compete with the swinecress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Hi lads. Any idea what this is? There is loads of it around parts of my site and in a ditch recently earthed up.

Should i be worried!

Frogeye

Advertisement