Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-07-2019, 10:26   #16
Kevin Irving

Send a message via MSN to Kevin Irving
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Babbage View Post
They should make this a specific offence and then put cameras on the toll gates and simply send out fines.
The eFlow tag that I got in 2014 beeped loudly every time it was accepted. The second tag that I was sent last year after changing car (same brand but a clearly cheaper unit), doesn't always beep, even when it's been accepted.

I most often use the M4, M6, M7 and Limerick Tunnel, and by far the worst system in the M7. It often doesn't beep, but the barrier opens no issue, and in other cases it beeps but the barrier stays down.

Since the run up is short, and the barrier is slow to react (database connection maybe?), you really have do drop way below 50kph to ensure that if it doesn't open in time, you can go out the escape road.

If the barrier stays down, you can be right up against it before it opens at 50kph. Then the next car comes along, it opens, and they think you've got through on their tag. I've been car 2 many times, and I'm full sure it's due to a poor system instead of cheating drivers. All you can do is stay so far back, that car 1 has time to realise the problem and get out the escape road.

The LED sign that says "Tag Read, €1.90" is too small, and in the wrong place too. The counter system to make sure the barrier doesn't open for car 2 until car 1 has gone the escape road doesn't work properly either.

It should be a specific offence, where the toll operators is fined thousands, every time the barrier doesn't open on a valid tag, and forces a genuine car to come to a stop with cars coming up fast behind, it's way too dangerous a situation.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-07-2019, 10:41   #17
Tazzimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkMan_ View Post
Has happened to me too so now I slow down enough to see if the arrow turns to green or the red x stays up. If the x stays I just branch off and go through the normal toll. Pr!cks is all they are.
I'll do this as well, almost got stung by someone trying it before. Then he had the cheek to give me the finger as I went past into a normal lane.

You'll get a few who will sit on your bumper as well, not just the saps that are ahead of you.
Thanks from:
09-07-2019, 11:05   #18
Miscreant

I leave a huge gap in front of me when going through the tolls on the M4/M6 heading to/from Galway. Keeping an eye on the arrows and the really small sign that shows that the car tag has been charged the €2.90 or €1.90 is a good indicator too. I have seen it happen to me a couple of times where a car will be really slow in front of me deliberately so I have peeled off and headed for the actual toll booth instead which seems to work well if you go to one of the booths on the far left hand side (they are rarely used by anything other than busses and trucks).
Since I got a new tag, I have noticed that it does not beep every time going through either (as someone else has mentioned here) but it is much tidier in the window than the old one was.
09-07-2019, 11:09   #19
Wheety

I think someone tried this with me on the M6 last week. They were ahead of me in the express lane and I had slowed down to about 60km/hr. They were going a good bit faster but I noticed the red X remained so I slowed down. At the last minute they pulled out though the escape opening.

May have been genuine error but I image if I went through the sensor and activated the barrier, they would have continued straight.

So reading in this thread, it would have closed down after they passed through? It's not sophisticated to recognise I hadn't gone through yet?
09-07-2019, 11:14   #20
Tazzimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheety View Post
I think someone tried this with me on the M6 last week. They were ahead of me in the express lane and I had slowed down to about 60km/hr. They were going a good bit faster but I noticed the red X remained so I slowed down. At the last minute they pulled out though the escape opening.

May have been genuine error but I image if I went through the sensor and activated the barrier, they would have continued straight.

So reading in this thread, it would have closed down after they passed through? It's not sophisticated to recognise I hadn't gone through yet?
It'll read the tag at the first sensor, and a car going through at the second one. Second sensor at the barrier won't read your tag.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-07-2019, 11:24   #21
Isambard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Moment View Post
It’s such a dangerous practice. the barriers closed after he passed but luckily reopened as I approached.

On
does that mean you paid twice though? Tuncs
09-07-2019, 19:04   #22
Max Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isambard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Moment View Post
It’s such a dangerous practice. the barriers closed after he passed but luckily reopened as I approached.

On
does that mean you paid twice though? Tuncs

I hope not, but will have to wait until the next statement I suppose to find out for sure.

I have sent an email to the toll operator at watergrasshill detailing what happened. Hopefully they respond stating they’ve charged the offender.
09-07-2019, 20:29   #23
McCrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Irving View Post
The eFlow tag that I got in 2014 beeped loudly every time it was accepted. The second tag that I was sent last year after changing car (same brand but a clearly cheaper unit), doesn't always beep, even when it's been accepted.

I most often use the M4, M6, M7 and Limerick Tunnel, and by far the worst system in the M7. It often doesn't beep, but the barrier opens no issue, and in other cases it beeps but the barrier stays down.

Since the run up is short, and the barrier is slow to react (database connection maybe?), you really have do drop way below 50kph to ensure that if it doesn't open in time, you can go out the escape road.

If the barrier stays down, you can be right up against it before it opens at 50kph. Then the next car comes along, it opens, and they think you've got through on their tag. I've been car 2 many times, and I'm full sure it's due to a poor system instead of cheating drivers. All you can do is stay so far back, that car 1 has time to realise the problem and get out the escape road.

The LED sign that says "Tag Read, €1.90" is too small, and in the wrong place too. The counter system to make sure the barrier doesn't open for car 2 until car 1 has gone the escape road doesn't work properly either.

It should be a specific offence, where the toll operators is fined thousands, every time the barrier doesn't open on a valid tag, and forces a genuine car to come to a stop with cars coming up fast behind, it's way too dangerous a situation.
I hit the express lane on the m7 port laoise at 100 kph (unless there's a car in front slowing me down) and it opens, never ever an issue

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion