Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-07-2019, 23:01   #316
Father Hernandez

Quote:
Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
Defender could have held off the attacker without barging him so blatantly.

I'm watching it on a stream, and I think it's Ian Darke that's commentating, and it sounds weird - really sounds like he's not at it, just commentating from a screen.
On eir/Premier is Paul Dempsey
Advertisement
07-07-2019, 23:07   #317
irishguitarlad

Fair play to Brasil but they have not impressed me that much in this tournament. Had to beat Paraguay on penalties, were on the rack lots of times against what was probably the worst argentina team in memory(btw Arthur should have been sent off for the elbow on ottamendi) and then tonight they limp over the line against Perú, if Perú were any bit calm It would be now going into extra time. I think Uruguay can view themselves as really unlucky, they bombarded peru and hit crossbars and everything and then lose on penalties, I think they would have taken Brasil in the final. Brasil are still behind a good few of their European rivals.
Thanks from:
07-07-2019, 23:14   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguitarlad View Post
Fair play to Brasil but they have not impressed me that much in this tournament. Had to beat Paraguay on penalties, were on the rack lots of times against what was probably the worst argentina team in memory(btw Arthur should have been sent off for the elbow on ottamendi) and then tonight they limp over the line against Perú, if Perú were any bit calm It would be now going into extra time. I think Uruguay can view themselves as really unlucky, they bombarded peru and hit crossbars and everything and then lose on penalties, I think they would have taken Brasil in the final. Brasil are still behind a good few of their European rivals.
They still produce loads of good players but it seems like they don't produce the amount of special talents they used to.20 years ago Brazil could probably picked 3 or 4 teams that would be up their with the best European teams. Giovane Elber for example only played 15 games for Brazil and he was one of the best strikers in Europe in the late 90's early 00's.

I think there has been a noticeable relative decline in the level of South American football this century.. Only 1 of the last 8 world cup finalists being from South America.Up until the early 200's they were the equal of the UEFA nations but I genuinely can't see a South American team winning a world cup for a good while.
Thanks from:
08-07-2019, 00:17   #319
Corholio

Brazil were fully deserved winners in the end, and only a ridiculous penalty decision stopped them going the whole tournament without conceding. They are still a work in progress in regards to the world stage but the Copa win at home will mean a lot to them. The dangerous goalscorer is still an area that they need to find. Firmino is alright but he isn't what is required up there goal scoring wise, same for Jesus, who did have a good tournament.
Thanks from:
08-07-2019, 14:03   #320
TheCitizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corholio View Post
Brazil were fully deserved winners in the end, and only a ridiculous penalty decision stopped them going the whole tournament without conceding. They are still a work in progress in regards to the world stage but the Copa win at home will mean a lot to them. The dangerous goalscorer is still an area that they need to find. Firmino is alright but he isn't what is required up there goal scoring wise, same for Jesus, who did have a good tournament.
I think the officiating at the tournament in general was a catastrophe and the misuse of VAR which can be a great tool when used correctly was ridiculous, it was almost as if they were deliberately trying to sabotage VAR so as it might be dispensed with.

That penalty decision last night though to be fair to the ref is the law now. They changed the law on handball I think which has ruled out accidental handball as not being a penalty. I have no idea why they did that, but the ref given the rule change was correct to give that call.
Advertisement
08-07-2019, 14:09   #321
TheCitizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky Plebum View Post
They still produce loads of good players but it seems like they don't produce the amount of special talents they used to.20 years ago Brazil could probably picked 3 or 4 teams that would be up their with the best European teams. Giovane Elber for example only played 15 games for Brazil and he was one of the best strikers in Europe in the late 90's early 00's.

I think there has been a noticeable relative decline in the level of South American football this century.. Only 1 of the last 8 world cup finalists being from South America.Up until the early 200's they were the equal of the UEFA nations but I genuinely can't see a South American team winning a world cup for a good while.
Brazil are still competitive at the World Cup. Since 2000 their record is Finalist, Quarter Final Quarter Final Semi final Quarter Final. They're not far off.

The Copa is a poorly run competition with random scheduling of it. From now on they are going to regularise it and run it the same summers as the Euros, that might improve things.
08-07-2019, 14:28   #322
eagle eye

So what do people think of Ricardo Gareca as a coach now?
I've been banging this drum for years at this stage. I truly believe he is a gifted coach. I think he should be coaching Argentina. His name came up last year but still no sign of him being taken seriously.
Peru have no business being in the knockout stages of the Cops America never mind the final. They made the semi-final last time around and qualified for the World Cup for the first time since 1982 under him. Just look at the squad and you'll see how amazing these feats are. Before that at Velez Sarsfield he won multiple league titles over his time there and contended for the Copa Libertadores with a SF, QF and round of 16 exit in three consecutive years.
Thanks from:
08-07-2019, 15:55   #323
rob316

I understand the new handball rules but sure common sense is needed there. Silva's hand is away from his body but how else he supposed to fall? Plank onto the ground? Ridiculous decision I thought.
08-07-2019, 15:59   #324
ArnoldJRimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 View Post
I understand the new handball rules but sure common sense is needed there. Silva's hand is away from his body but how else he supposed to fall? Plank onto the ground? Ridiculous decision I thought.
Unfortunately thats the rule now, as absolutely ridiculous as it is, and even though its ruining the game. Look at United v PSG or Liverpool in the CL Final for just two examples, there have been worse in this years Copa America and Womens WC, and there will be worse next season
Advertisement
08-07-2019, 16:02   #325
rob316

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnoldJRimmer View Post
Unfortunately thats the rule now, as absolutely ridiculous as it is, and even though its ruining the game. Look at United v PSG or Liverpool in the CL Final for just two examples, there have been worse in this years Copa America and Womens WC, and there will be worse next season
I can understand those calls, they are making their body bigger but what could Silva do, it his hand supporting him.

My big fear with this rule is are players going to start just kicking the ball at defenders arms if they seem them away from their body. The amount of calls then will be ridiculous.
08-07-2019, 16:21   #326
GLaDOS
Testing

Quote:
I can understand those calls, they are making their body bigger but what could Silva do, it his hand supporting him.

My big fear with this rule is are players going to start just kicking the ball at defenders arms if they seem them away from their body. The amount of calls then will be ridiculous.
The cynic in me thinks thats exactly what happened in the CL final.
08-07-2019, 17:04   #327
lassykk

A couple of days late to the party but I just saw what Messi was sent off for... How on earth was that a red card? He literally did nothing and I'm no Messi fanboy
08-07-2019, 17:08   #328
is_that_so

Quote:

Not necessarily. EPL referees' view of it and I'd imagine UEFA/FIFA view would be similar enough given the rash of penalties in the women's WC.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48903289
08-07-2019, 17:44   #329
ArnoldJRimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassykk View Post
A couple of days late to the party but I just saw what Messi was sent off for... How on earth was that a red card? He literally did nothing and I'm no Messi fanboy
It was a bizarre incident, and to be honest, I thought both players could have been given a yellow, but Messi in particular. Does not excuse the subsequent tantrum and cries of corruption though. Its very childish

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion