Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Update unusual message about drive repair

• 18-05-2019 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I got an unusual message from my pc this morning after a failed update settings. Normally I just reboot it and let it repair itself and it did this time but think it could be at the end of its life due to the messages I got today first time seeing it.

It was in blue screen you normally see when it update but with it saying it had an error with 0x0084000 whatever it was that I needed to repair drive onto a USB first time getting that message along with saying I needed to pick an option F7, F8 for something etc. Mechanical Hard drive was a few years old when I replaced it was 4 years old when it was starting to fail and end up failing completely and replaced it with a new ssd drive. New drive has worked great and PC seemed ok and work efficiently. I save most things on a cloud or on usb or memory cards so not to store much on PC. I try to back up often aswell.

The PC generally gives me updates but won’t actually update it is version windows 10 1703 and has failed to update since. I had the hard drive replaced a couple of months ago and paid to get the update done whether it was paid and better internet connection to do update at a PC repair workshop or is it that I’ve a poor internet connection or that the PC has just gone too old to do updates? It is 2013 PC my laptop has also failed to do updates. Its the same age but have it on version 1600 something.

What I cannot understand is that the PC update no problem at a pc workshop but not at home?! It did do that update fine and I think it did one other update since then but after that no other update has worked, pc has to go into repair drive mode. The Microsoft windows support hasn’t been much help.
    Someone mentioned it’s to do with the software itself that I know of a few others having similar problems unless they get a new PC/Laptop the problems stop.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What a ball of twine

PC specs please
    Disk size total/free ?

What is exact error message and code you getting ? "whatever it was" returns "whatever" answer.

Internet speed has nothing to do with installation process - update is first downloaded fully, only then installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Polar101

So the problem is that the Windows update keeps failing?

If you got a disk error, check the disk for errors and then try installing the update again. If you have a new SSD drive, then it doesn't sound very likely that the drive is the problem unless you don't have enough free space on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It has been a continuous problem for both laptop and PC that the updates keep failing they are both 2013. I had meant to screen shot the issue but forgot I just went straight into trying to reboot it.

SSD drive is relatively new. Old mechanical hard drive had sufficient space. It was 1 tb hard drive Laptop is the same. Space on the drive might be an issue despite not having much saved on it. I had wiped system clean a few months ago and worked ok for a while but problem started again. PC repair person told me I should have no issues with the updates and is aware of my problem with the PC and that he could see no fault with the PC itself so I honestly don't know why the updates are failing. I could have pc running over night a few occasions and the update fail.

Specs:
    Windows 10 version 1703 current update
    RAM 8 GB
    64 bit
    i5 core pc and laptop is i3 core
    1.8 ghz

Installed 120 gb dive at the moment with new ssd drive but showing as 111 gb probably due to files that had to be installed with drive?
    Could it be the c drive? The only thing it says on PC says it has overall 25 gb of space free on c drive? Could this be my problem the reason its failing to install but then again why didn’t it install on a bigger sized hard drive? I only have the main necessary software applications on it. The majority of my files are saved on external memory or in a cloud. Could it be just a software issue? I cannot understand it.

Advertisement