Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Divorce procedures

• 17-04-2019 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,
    I have been served with divorce papers by my ex husband, on instruction of a solicitor I e-mailed his solicitor and requested mediation. I cannot afford the high legal fees and he has free legal aid, I am not entitled to legal aid as I am employed - which he is not.
    I took the mortgage out in my name as he was unemployed at the time and he remained so for most of the marriage, he worked for 5 out of the 15 years that he lived in the home, we were married for 7 of those years. There are no children to consider in this.
    When he left the house there was no equity in the property but now there would be approx €70-80,000. He is looking for his "share" of the property.
    He and his solicitor have ignored my request for mediation and have sent me letter to say my presence is required in Circuit Court or there could be a Judgment in Default of Appearance.
    What is my next step, how do I respond? I cannot afford to see a solicitor at the moment. I have 14 days to respond.
    Thanks for any help or advice
    Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

How long have you been legally separated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Your ex does not have to accede to mediation. What do you want mediation for? He wants a divorce.

Are there children or property involved. You can do a diy divorce fairly cheaply if there is nothing to argue over and it’s simple.

Otherwise I’d be looking for him to pay your legal fees seeing as he is the one who is looking for the divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

Try https://www.flac.ie/ for free legal advice. They may be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dublin.girl

Hi, we are not legally separated, but we have been separated while living together from 2013-2016 and he moved out 2016

Hi, there are no children to consider but there is a property. A DIY divorce is not an option as I am contesting the fact he wants €40,000 from me

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll have a look, I did contact Citizen's advice and I could get an appointment in 2 weeks time but that's too late for me

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi Dublin.girl, you can get more information and post your query in the Separation & Divorce forum. Best of luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement